Why Not as Much Traffic in Acoustic Section?

What's Hot
Since being on here I have noticed how few posts or replies seem to flow through the Acoustic section compared to the General Guitar(Electric) section. Why is this? 
When I even considered playing guitar just a  few years back I never even considered just jumping on an electric,acoustic was always the way to go. I find it the purest and most natural way, and and sound of a guitar. Is this down to culture.our favourite artists predominently using electrics or a train of thought that believes acoustic is elitist and heavily linked with classical music? (It isnt of course given its use in Country music for example.)
Nice to hear thoughts on this.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6897
    edited February 2022
    To me an acoustic is mainly related to buskers strumming cover versions, so not something I listen to often. Next association is with artists “unplugged” - so again a simplified version of songs. Lastly the “Lesbian seagull” scene in Beavis and Butthead - very funny!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2248
    I've played acoustic since 1976 and electric since 1997. I joined here in 2015 and mainly played acoustic out. I rarely post in the acoustic section, even when I was looking for and bought a Martin. I don't know why. 
  • I'd suggest that acoustic guitarists tend to keep their guitars for a long time and spend more time playing them than they do agonising about gear on social media. Once you've found the strings, picks, slide and capo that you like, what's left to post about? 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5499
    The acoustic section is always quieter, Jack. There is a much bigger, much busier acoustic-only forum I won't mention by name but it can be ... well, let's just say that this place is better run and in consequence much more relaxed and friendly. And size notwithstanding, the level of expertise on tap here is amply sufficient to answer almost any sensible question. 

Example: I'm about to post a query about removing pickguard glue. It's late afternoon here (early AM in the UK). I'll bet six to one I have at least one good answer by the time I get up tomorrow morning. 
  • Since being on here I have noticed how few posts or replies seem to flow through the Acoustic section compared to the General Guitar(Electric) section. Why is this? 
    When I even considered playing guitar just a  few years back I never even considered just jumping on an electric,acoustic was always the way to go. I find it the purest and most natural way, and and sound of a guitar. Is this down to culture.our favourite artists predominently using electrics or a train of thought that believes acoustic is elitist and heavily linked with classical music? (It isnt of course given its use in Country music for example.)
    Nice to hear thoughts on this.
    I don't think it's any of those things - imho, it's simply down to the number of members interested in electrics versus the number of those interested in acoustics.

On this forum, there seem to be way more electric players than acoustic players, so the main guitar section gets more traffic. I really don't think it's any more complicated than that.

In the early days of the forum, the acoustic section didn't even exist. There was just one guitar section covering both electric and acoustic. Same in the classifieds.

The acoustic section was effectively willed into being by the acoustic players on here asking for somewhere specific to accommodate us, because all our threads were getting swamped by the electric players.

So, yeah, numbers. There's more of them than there are of us. Nothing more to it than that.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
    Also, the naming of the forums is weird. They should be "Electric" and "Acoustic", instead of lumping everything in with the electrics unless it is specifically acoustic. You often see acoustic-relevant posts in the electric section, practically never the other way around. 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11943
    most acoustic players aren't faffing with their guitars as much, changing pickups, whammy bars, etc
    as mentioned, once they are set up properly, there's not much to do except play them
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27638
    as mentioned, once they are set up properly, there's not much to do except play them
    And where's the fun in that???
    ;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Tannin said:
    Also, the naming of the forums is weird. They should be "Electric" and "Acoustic", instead of lumping everything in with the electrics unless it is specifically acoustic. You often see acoustic-relevant posts in the electric section, practically never the other way around. 
    Because, as I said, originally, there was just one "guitars" section. Then acoustics was added, and the original name was never changed.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • most acoustic players aren't faffing with their guitars as much, changing pickups, whammy bars, etc
    You make that sound like a bad thing!
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    edited February 2022
    cos most on here cant play properly  

seriously -   two fold

1 - Naming of the section headers

but more so  -

2 -  quite literally, many more people either only play, or are much more focused on electric
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • The weird thing is that before I started learning I thought jumping straight onto electric was a bit of a 'cheat' rather than learning on acoustic and transferring those skills to the 'easier' electric guitar. I still sort of think that to be honest. 
  • Fewer toys to obsess about, and acoustic guitars are way more expensive so people are less likely to flip loads of them or build giant collections. Plus it turns out there's a surprising number of people who only play electric, even at home.

I guess the naming also makes a casual browser assume that the acoustic section is a special forum for sandal-wearing folkies.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    The weird thing is that before I started learning I thought jumping straight onto electric was a bit of a 'cheat' rather than learning on acoustic and transferring those skills to the 'easier' electric guitar. I still sort of think that to be honest. 
    well that's it I think  back "in the day" when us oldies learnt  "good" beginner electrics were harder to come by and it was almost "the done thing" to learn on an acoustic..............cos they were just so much more readily available   - thats a massive generalisation but is pretty accurate I think.

Most "kids" learn cos they want to be in a band,  and electrics are easier to play and easier to come by, and somewhat "cooler"  to most
  • bertie said:
    The weird thing is that before I started learning I thought jumping straight onto electric was a bit of a 'cheat' rather than learning on acoustic and transferring those skills to the 'easier' electric guitar. I still sort of think that to be honest. 
    well that's it I think  back "in the day" when us oldies learnt  "good" beginner electrics were harder to come by and it was almost "the done thing" to learn on an acoustic..............cos they were just so much more readily available   - thats a massive generalisation but is pretty accurate I think.

Most "kids" learn cos they want to be in a band,  and electrics are easier to play and easier to come by, and somewhat "cooler"  to most
    Ironically,the cooler element may be returning through the likes of Ed Sheeran. At least one good thing may come of his music.
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    As has been said I think that, as acoustic players, we're outnumbered on here. It doesn't bother me. If there's nothing being discussed, I can kick things off by way of starting a new thread as @Tannin is about to do :) 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    its always been my "gripe"  going back to "Intermusic" days -  people want to pigeon hole a "genre"  but Im a "guitar player"    no bias to acoustic or electric
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom

I guess the naming also makes a casual browser assume that the acoustic section is a special forum for sandal-wearing folkies.
    Blimey! You mean it isn't?  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bertie said:
    its always been my "gripe"  going back to "Intermusic" days -  people want to pigeon hole a "genre"  but Im a "guitar player"    no bias to acoustic or electric
    That's a fair comment. I find electric guitars a bit of a minefield to be honest. Too much consideration over models,amps,pedals,effects and so on. At least with an acoustic it's mostly pick up and play. I much prefer that. I will buy an electric soon though,just for practicality and learning purposes.
    edited February 2022
    Mellish said:
    As has been said I think that, as acoustic players, we're outnumbered on here. It doesn't bother me. If there's nothing being discussed, I can kick things off by way of starting a new thread as @Tannin is about to do  
    I put it in Making and Modding, where it is languishing unread. I should have put it here in the busy acoustic forum, of course, where it would have three good answers already.

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/223454/cleaning-up-after-a-pickguard-removal-nitro