DON'T PANIC! COOKIES...

What's Hot

Comments

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26597
    TimmyO said:
    TimmyO said:
    Did you look at Ezoic ?
    Yes - I had a few concerns with them, not least that I was looking for a company that could provide an account manager and human support, and...nothing about them suggested that was going to be the case. Also, it's very difficult to get unbiased reviews of them, because they run an affiliate scheme with a fairly wide net.

Also, just about every site I've seen that runs Ezoic is a toxic swamp of ads compared with Monumetric. That's a flat "nope" from me, but it also implies something else - both providers pay per thousand impressions, rather than per click, and whenever you see sites that are festooned with ads it's because it's the only way they can make a decent return (more ads = more money, it's a direct relationship...at least, to begin with). That suggests to me that Ezoic's return simply isn't as good as Monumetric's.

I mean...money's really a secondary concern for me here. Monumetric set up a call with me straight away, and totally understood where I was coming from in terms of the user experience being the primary goal and not wanting to milk the site for all it's worth. The only interview criterion was "Did they try to persuade me to add more ads than I want to?", and they passed with flying colours :)
    sounds fair enough - yes Ezoic's strength is in the automated optimisation - e.g. you specify multiple ad insertion points and formats, and it tests multiple variations based on the priority you set (revenue, impact on user behaviour etc) and it optimises, so you might set 10 possible ad placements and it decides to only use 3 of them - but I think that's more valuable to a blog/website rather than a forum.

One observation: if I choose to not select the non-essential cookies, no ads display (just grey boxes that can't be clicked) - but it doesn't seem from the cookie descriptions as though that should be the case. I don't use any ad blocker, this is on mobile and desktop Safari. 
    Yes - I actually tried a similar approach with AdSense, but it was very brief. Essentially, handing over control of ad placement and type is fine if you're only interested in visitors and traffic, because you tend not to care too much about the user experience.

Giving up that kind of control on a site like this, which relies on returning users, is a recipe for disaster. When I did it with AdSense, it was chucking ads in all over the place - side-entry ads, persistent ads at the bottom sitting over content etc.

As for the no ads with no cookies issue - I think that's just because they're still waiting for some advertising networks to come online. I'm going to give them a shout as soon as they're awake (based in the US).
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • photekphotek Frets: 1463
    Excellent work, gone for me :+1: :+1: :+1: 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2804
    Yes, thank you for removing the shield.  Much better without it.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12372
    edited March 2022
    Ahhh, no shield, much better. Ta Lee.  
    Edit, no shield is good but now not seeing any ads at all on mobile, just grey space. Not that I mind but I’m not using an adblocker and you might be losing revenue? 

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22882
    I have to say the ads have become a bit more boring. 

It used to be lots of women in sports bras and a ladies' fast fashion retailer called Rosewe... who only seemed to have one model, but she was very attractive.

Today it's all Now TV, gym memberships and Reverb.  Chiz.  But I'll put up with it.
    Philly_Q said:

It used to be lots of women in sports bras and a ladies' fast fashion retailer called Rosewe... who only seemed to have one model, but she was very attractive.

Today it's all Now TV, gym memberships and Reverb.  Chiz.  But I'll put up with it.
    ...you know there are other sites you can go to which might be...interesting...in a similar way to the ads you were seeing - right? ;)
    <space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2768
    On ipad safari, 90% of the ads were the women’s underwear ones (most of the time) then Reverb, and once a blue moon something else.  Never seen any gambling ones etc 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22882
    Philly_Q said:

...you know there are other sites you can go to which might be...interesting...in a similar way to the ads you were seeing - right? ;)
    Without delving too deeply into my weirdo psyche, "accidentally" seeing (fully clothed) pretty ladies on a guitar forum is just the right amount of mild titillation for me... and less sordid than actively seeking out the sites of which you speak.  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • StavrosStavros Frets: 336
    Will having the new provider mean that you will make money even if the ads are not clicked on? 
    I love my brick
    Stavros said:
    Will having the new provider mean that you will make money even if the ads are not clicked on? 
    In theory, yes, but there's still an indirect relationship between how much the ad impressions are worth and how effective they are at being clicked.

Basically, if nobody ever clicks, then ad space on here is worth less.
    <space for hire>
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11766
    OK - how's that? It should've disappeared now (you may need to refresh).

(apologies for the delay, didn't fall asleep until 5am thanks to the plague)
    Are you alright?  Possibly need to be lying down not coding if you have the rona?
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    OK - how's that? It should've disappeared now (you may need to refresh).

(apologies for the delay, didn't fall asleep until 5am thanks to the plague)
    Are you alright?  Possibly need to be lying down not coding if you have the rona?
    I'm fine, but thanks for asking :)

I'm just a bit all-over-the-place at the moment - a few minor health issues leading to my insomnia going into overdrive.
    <space for hire>
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72366
    The shield is down!

Thank you :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• StavrosStavros Frets: 336
    Stavros said:
    In theory, yes, but there's still an indirect relationship between how much the ad impressions are worth and how effective they are at being clicked.

Basically, if nobody ever clicks, then ad space on here is worth less.
    Ah right, thanks.

In which case will try to remember to click as often as possible, will be “interesting” I’m sure!
    I love my brick
  • freakboy1610freakboy1610 Frets: 1209
    I now have a blank grey block across the top and bottom of each page!??
    Link to my trading feedback
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    edited March 2022
    I had a real problem with Cookie Pro, fixed by @digitalscream. Thanks mate 1
    I now have a blank grey block across the top and bottom of each page!??
    That's, unfortunately, to be expected - just got off a call with our man in Utah, and he explained that while their systems are effectively "training" themselves, the ad fill rate is much lower than it would normally be. It'll correct itself in the next day or two, and then we should be golden.
    <space for hire>
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2891
    Thanks for removing the shield Lee.  Very much appreciated.

• I do seem to have the constant shield in the corner now.  thats new.
    It's meant to be reassuring ;)

Seriously, though, click it and you can change your cookie preferences at any time.

Now that the shield is gone, how would you manage cookies? @digitalscream

Every page now jumps to the blank "ad" at the top on my PC, but not my phone.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    I do seem to have the constant shield in the corner now.  thats new.
    It's meant to be reassuring ;)

Seriously, though, click it and you can change your cookie preferences at any time.

Now that the shield is gone, how would you manage cookies? @digitalscream

Every page now jumps to the blank "ad" at the top on my PC, but not my phone.
    At the moment, there's no realistic way to change your mind after you've made the selection. I'm going to keep working on it, to see if I can come up with a neat way to allow it only on certain pages (eg the profile page).
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom