Listening Party #2 - Bandwagonesque by Teenage Fanclub - Start Playing at 8pm 30th March

What's Hot
MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3048
edited March 2022 in Off Topic
This is the thread for the first Listening Party which will start at 8pm sharp on 30th of March, so cue up your CD or vinyl, rewind your tape or add to your Spotify playlist ready to go.

For an explaination / idea of what we are trying to do, please read this thread -

Please chip in with any positive comments or observations on each tune as they are being played in real time. There will be plenty of opportunity to expand on longer thoughts if you want to after the 'live' thread has finished, so keep them short and upbeat during the playback period. There might be a very short drinks interval between side 1 and 2. I will let you know when side 2 will re-start.

The 2nd record we are doing is Bandwagonesque by Teenage Fanclub.  
Ok, this is a big album for me, it's in my top 3 all-time LP's. It came out in November 1991. I first knew of its existence that Christmas by seeing its striking pink and yellow cover and listening to it over the headphones in Chester's HMV and bought it - I was 16 and it had a huge impact on me. I'll say more during the party. 

They are of course from Glasgow. I wonder if our esteemed Scots @ewal and @camf who were in bands at the time will have some insights to share? 

Look forward to listening with you all.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• A reminder for tomorrow's listening party. It would be great if someone could join me!

Here's the very memorable and striking album cover (not my vinyl..... I bought it on tape back in the day).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ewalewal Frets: 2633
    If a pedant came along, they'd say they were actually from Bellshill, but definitely stayed in Glasgow ;-)  I hung about in the same crowd as Raymond for a wee while, spending our Fridays and Saturdays at The Griffin, then going to alternative music clubs in places near Sauchiehall St. Raymond was really nice, not sure why none of the other band members drank with us.

We were pally round about the time A Catholic Education was released which I loved - their live shows at that time were a good laugh.

If I'm honest I found Bandwagonesque a bit underwhelming when it came out, being in to their earlier more raucous sound. Possibly a bit of that they're getting big, so I'm going off them reaction too.

I've definitely grown to like it a lot more over the years though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3048
    edited March 2022
    Great stuff @ewal , and I'm more than happy to be corrected on the geography and anything else (only been to Glasgow once!) I suspected you might have been in the same crowd. It's quite a thing really to chat to someone like yourself who was around then. I was 16 from nowheresville, knew hardly anybody into the same music, the music and photos of TFC to me seemed like the coolest thing on earth and from a totally different world which I knew nothing about (though I was soon learning about it in the NME), though for you it was just normality!

• BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 350
    “She wears denim wherever she goes, says she’s gonna get some records by the Status Quo....”
  • AllyAlly Frets: 64
    Nice. I'll try and make that. Great record. 
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Just found the thread, definitely be there at 8pm tonight. I ordered the CD last week but it hasn't arrived yet. If it comes today I'll be in the sitting room through quality speakers, if not I'll be in the office listening on shit ones. 

Never heard the record before, so will be first reaction. 
  • Fuengi said:
    Just found the thread, definitely be there at 8pm tonight. I ordered the CD last week but it hasn't arrived yet. If it comes today I'll be in the sitting room through quality speakers, if not I'll be in the office listening on shit ones. 

Never heard the record before, so will be first reaction. 
    Cool, though I'm slightly nervous about how first time reactions will be! Nah, we can be as honest as we like. I can't remember if it was instant for me or took a few listens.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27848
    I don’t think I’m going to be able to make it this evening.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • TTony said:
    I don’t think I’m going to be able to make it this evening.
    Nae bother Pal 
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    CD didn't arrive, have just bought Spotify Premium so I can stay in time with everyone and not get interrupted by adverts! 

Awaiting 8pm.

Is @digitalkettle and @Devil#20 around? Also @Redlester @JMS96 were going to try to make it this week. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Fuengi said:
    CD didn't arrive, have just bought Spotify Premium so I can stay in time with everyone and not get interrupted by adverts! 

That's dedication.

Hopefully, there'll be more than us two! 
    If not, ah well, I'm going to crack open a beer and enjoy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Fuengi said:
    Is @digitalkettle and @Devil#20 around? Also @Redlester @JMS96 were going to try to make it this week. 
    Here!
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9735
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3048
    edited March 2022
    Band members and track listing:

Norman BLAKE Cook - guitars, vocals
    Raymond McGinley- piano, guitar (leads), vocals.
    Gerard Love - bass, vocals
    Brendan O'Hare - drums

Produced by Don Fleming Amazon Studio, Liverpool

Side A
    1. The Concept
    2. Satan
    3. December
    4. What you do to me
    5. I Don't Know
    6. Star Sign

Side B
    7. Metal Baby
    8. Pet Rock
    9. Sidewinder
    10. Alcoholiday
    11. Guiding Star
    12. Is This Music?

T minus 20
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9735
    Band members and track listing:

Norman Cook - guitars, vocals

Check it out now, the funk soul brother!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Band members and track listing:

Norman Cook - guitars, vocals

Check it out now, the funk soul brother!
    NORMAN BLAKE

DOH! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Doh...

Spotify it is then!
  • Start at 8pm. I will stop for a break after Star Sign, and let you know when to start Side B. 
  • I too am on spotify, the only hard copy I've owned is the tape I bought when it came out. 
    Got the big headphones on though! 
  • AllyAlly Frets: 64
    I'm on as well. Turntable fired up. Doubt I'll be able to contribute much, bit it'll be interesting.