Listening Party - anyone up for it?

What's Hot
FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
edited March 2022 in Off Topic
If the Mods were ok with it, and if anyone fancied the idea... Inspired by a couple of recent threads on the Music section, it might be fun to try out?

If you're not familiar with the Idea, Tim Burgess (The Charlatans) does them on social media. Basically, you choose an album (usually a classic or something deserving of revisiting) and arrange a time and everyone listens on their own, but simultaneously. You all then chip in with comments and observations as you listen through the album. 

We could set a thread up for each album and keep the comments nice and short, but regular as we go. I'd certainly be interested in the comments on musical content in real time by many on here. 

Just a thought. 

Edit - Thread moved to OT. 
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27611
    Put this in OT if you want to most people to see it - I don't think this is the most browsed section of the forum (I only saw it because I use the Recent Discussions view by default).

Like the idea - if enough people can put aside the same time slot to listen.
    :+1:
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    TTony said:
    Put this in OT if you want to most people to see it - I don't think this is the most browsed section of the forum (I only saw it because I use the Recent Discussions view by default).

Like the idea - if enough people can put aside the same time slot to listen.
    Ah! I restricted my own access to OT about two years ago so I don't see that section... Turned out to be a good move I think  ;)

Is it safe to go back there yet? 

Glad you like the Idea Tony, we might have to keep the albums down to 40 mins, not extended anniversary versions! 
  • Good idea. I've done a few of Tim's listening parties, of albums I'm very familiar with, though could be fun to do not so familiar ones too, 
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    The Tim's Twitter parties were one of the bright spots of a pretty dark time for many people. 

Yes, I'd participate. It is really good to connect with people in real time and chat about the music. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    I was aware of the Burgess ones although always seemed to miss them. My son still does his fortnightly viewing party, watching a film with ex colleagues some of whom are in different parts of the world. 
    Certainly I'll do it in principle but in practice my life isn't that organized. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Sounds good, we should probably choose a time and an album then hopefully things will develop organically from there. 

Weekend / week nights? 

Something "classic" to start off with? 
    Fuengi said:
    Ah! I restricted my own access to OT about two years ago so I don't see that section... Turned out to be a good move I think  ;)

Is it safe to go back there yet?  
    I think OT is pretty safe now, although there is quite a lot of discussion about vacuum cleaners, the best tapestry kits, and the different shades of beige.
    ;)

Different times will work differently for different folks - a mid-week evening might be least contentious?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12394
    I’m up for it if free. 

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6879
    munckee said:
    I’m up for it if free. 

I dont think there will be a cost involved to participate.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Next Wednesday 23rd March,  8pm.

The album will be Woodface by Crowded House. 

I'll set up a separate thread in OT. 

Let me know if you can make it and I'll tag you all in.  
  • Interesting choice, I've seen people rating the band a lot on here, but I only know 'weather with you'. I'll be listening to the album for the first time.
    Interesting choice, I've seen people rating the band a lot on here, but I only know 'weather with you'. I'll be listening to the album for the first time.

It's a fun and interesting album with some excellent songs. Impossible to choose something everybody is going to like, but you can do the next one G. :)
  • Fuengi said:

Interested.

Surprising and inspired album choice.

We'll have to press play at 8pm sharp and be sat on the F5 key to make it Twitter-like.

Maybe the 'host' of each album should prepare a quick preamble for each track to keep things on course?

Goes without saying (although I am going to) that participants need not take a sh!t on the thread: factoids and positives only.
    If you're ambivalent or worse about the band/album: sit back and maybe see it in a different light.

Fuengi said:

Interested.

Surprising and inspired album choice.

We'll have to press play at 8pm sharp and be sat on the F5 key to make it Twitter-like.

Maybe the 'host' of each album should prepare a quick preamble for each track to keep things on course?

Goes without saying (although I am going to) that participants need not take a sh!t on the thread: factoids and positives only.
    If you're ambivalent or worse about the band/album: sit back and maybe see it in a different light.

I can have a go at a little preamble for each track. 

Agree we will need to keep comments short and positive. 
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    Agree with the comment about keeping a positive vibe. 

Although Twitter's the most open forum (and therefore most open to abuse) you'll get, I was always impressed at how friendly the tone always was for the listening parties.

Seems like the people who weren't fans of a given band/ album were savvy enough to sit things out until something came around from artists they did like.   
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16103
    bit similar to those " comments on " type vids
    there's a character that does " British Guitarists comments on Santana Solo " type videos .I think he calls himself The Wings of Pegasus . 
    I don't find the chap himself offensive but his whole concept just annoys me .
    He introduces the various vids by saying "Lets see how he gets on " .......I think the likes of his subjects ...Santana , Tommy Emmanuel, Clapton, SRV, Chet, Blackmore etc etc .....were getting along perfectly well without his critique.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5517
    I'm a massive Crowded House fan, but I'll be honest and say that this is based on their 'Recurring Dream' greatest hits. I actually don't think I've heard all of Woodface...
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3031
    edited March 2022
    Dominic said:
    there's a character that does " British Guitarists comments on Santana Solo " type videos .I think he calls himself The Wings of Pegasus . 
    He introduces the various vids by saying "Lets see how he gets on " .......I think the likes of his subjects ...Santana , Tommy Emmanuel, Clapton, SRV, Chet, Blackmore etc etc .....were getting along perfectly well without his critique.
    Actually no… this is not similar at all. Thos os about many people contributing in real time, no one is really in real control. A lot is about sharing memories and how songs have affected you
    Dominic said:
    Actually no… this is not similar at all. Thos os about many people contributing in real time, no one is really in real control. A lot is about sharing memories and how songs have affected you
    Agreed. That's not the idea at all.