Speaker Recommendations, sensitivity and size

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72333
    edited May 2022

The GA looks perfect on paper, I'll have to wait til one comes up 2nd hand and I'll have a go on it. Looks nice and bright but also super efficient which is perfect for the Princeton 
    You need to take Eminence sensitivity ratings with a pinch of salt compared to Celestion - they’re usually about 2-3dB higher for a speaker which is the same volume in practice.

There are different ways of defining an average value - sensitivity varies hugely over the frequency range, and Eminence clearly use a different weighting from Celestion.

Jensen are somewhere in between the two.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChrisCox1994ChrisCox1994 Frets: 368
    ICBM said:

The GA looks perfect on paper, I'll have to wait til one comes up 2nd hand and I'll have a go on it. Looks nice and bright but also super efficient which is perfect for the Princeton 
    You need to take Eminence sensitivity ratings with a pinch of salt compared to Celestion - they’re usually about 2-3dB higher for a speaker which is the same volume in practice.

There are different ways of defining an average value - sensitivity varies hugely over the frequency range, and Eminence clearly use a different weighting from Celestion.

Jensen are somewhere in between the two.
    Would you say in reality the cream neo and Jensen neo are probably equally sensitive/loud then? 
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
  • Sharky77Sharky77 Frets: 211
    After I took out the Ramrod that I traded with you Chris I put in an Eminence Alessandro GA10-SC64 and haven't thought about changing it since. A very good speaker for that amp! You've changed it to a 12" baffle now though? The charm of the Princeton is in it's 10"! 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72333
    ChrisCox1994 said:

Would you say in reality the cream neo and Jensen neo are probably equally sensitive/loud then? 
    Probably - I haven't tried the Creamback Neo.

It's also worth noting that the apparent loudness is also dependent on where the frequency peak is in relation to the rest of the sounds you're using it with, not just the speaker itself. A speaker with an exaggerated upper-mid peak (eg the V30) will often sound louder in a dense band mix than one with a fuller and more even tone, even if they're the same actual sensitivity when measured in isolation (even by the same company!).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ChrisCox1994ChrisCox1994 Frets: 368
    Sharky77 said:
    After I took out the Ramrod that I traded with you Chris I put in an Eminence Alessandro GA10-SC64 and haven't thought about changing it since. A very good speaker for that amp! You've changed it to a 12" baffle now though? The charm of the Princeton is in it's 10"! 
    In fairness I loved it with a ragin Cajun 10" so a change back to the 10 may happen at some point. I just want as much punch and volume as possible
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management