The Doctor Who thread

What's Hot

Comments

• steersteer Frets: 1196
    edited November 2023
    I thought it was absolutely dreadful. They basically spent half the episode making up nonsense about how they brought 2 previously dropped characters back into the program. The main story was almost entirely non-existent thanks to the convoluted waffle about bringing them back. The storyline about the aliens could have fitted onto the back of a fag packet. 

I was not a fan of Catherine Tate before, and this has not changed my mind. 

The ending - oops I dropped my Coffee into the workings of the Tardis. I mean? Come on!. 

It's a shame because DT is good as the Doctor. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I watched the BBC3 making of programme. The Meep is a character from Tom Baker era Dr Who comic, so one for the deep fans. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    I beleive it was written by someone else and DAVE GIBBONS.

It was OK, but heavy handed on the woke stuff - I agree ^^^ up until about halfway it was good, subtle and sensitively handled and supported the story telling, but then it got very unsubtle and preachy.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Jalapeno said:

It was OK, but heavy handed on the woke stuff - I agree ^^^ up until about halfway it was good, subtle and sensitively handled and supported the story telling, but then it got very unsubtle and preachy.
    Dave (who is a well known comic writer)was, if I've understood it correctly, one of the writers on the original comic when The Meep was created so would have a writing credit. I didn't get the impression that he had any current involvement. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    Jalapeno said:

Dave (who is a well known comic writer)was, if I've understood it correctly, one of the writers on the original comic when The Meep was created so would have a writing credit. I didn't get the impression that he had any current involvement. 
    Just to correct ... Dave Gibbons is a famous comic artist, best known for his work on Watchmen, the Doctor Who comic plus many early years of 2000AD comic. Pat Mills was the original writer, sometimes referred to as the Godfather of British comics.

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6898
    Meeping awful!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    That was much better!
  • That was genuinely a bit scary and unsettling in places.  Watched with my 8-year-old grandson and he was enthralled throughout.  Big improvement on the Meep.

Kilgore said:
    That was much better!
    Agreed, apart from the need to have a PC Isaak Newton - they haven’t had an albino represented yet.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • I read that next week's episode is scarier and more adult...
    I thought that was a great story! A few dodgy effects but I grew up loving the Pertwee era so I don’t have a great problem with that. Tennant is so good in the role, such a shame they didn’t get another whole season out of him. I’m preparing to be disappointed by the new guy, who just seems wrong for the role to me.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26666
    edited December 2023
    mrkb said:
    Kilgore said:
    That was much better!
    Agreed, apart from the need to have a PC Isaak Newton - they haven’t had an albino represented yet.
    ...and the Doctor suddenly being gay (he remarked that Newton was "hot", which I presume is to foreshadow the next regeneration in the same way Capaldi's Doctor made comments designed to set the stage for Whitaker's). Which, in any other character, I would obviously not have a problem - however, ol' Doc is supposed to be asexual and completely confused by all that stuff because it's totally alien to him.

Completely ignoring that throwaway scene, though, yes...that was actually a genuinely good episode. Not "great", but certainly a massive improvement over the first one.
    <space for hire>
    mrkb said:
    Kilgore said:
    That was much better!
    ...and the Doctor suddenly being gay (he remarked that Newton was "hot", which I presume is to foreshadow the next regeneration in the same way Capaldi's Doctor made comments designed to set the stage for Whitaker's). Which, in any other character, I would obviously not have a problem - however, ol' Doc is supposed to be asexual and completely confused by all that stuff because it's totally alien to him.

Completely ignoring that throwaway scene, though, yes...that was actually a genuinely good episode. Not "great", but certainly a massive improvement over the first one.
    I think that you can say a bloke is hot without gay implications. 
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26666
    edited December 2023
    axisus said:
    mrkb said:
    Kilgore said:
    That was much better!

Of course you can. I sincerely doubt that's the intent, though, given a) what's gone before, and b) the fact that the scene in question had absolutely no bearing on the plot or meaning of the episode.
    <space for hire>
  • I enjoyed it ,bit confused about why the first bit was there at all but the rest was a good watch .

Going OT ish now but the one monster and episodes I remember being reallly scared of was the Yeti on the London Underground. Now auntie beeb has put all episodes on iPlayer I watched it last week. Hmm not what I remembered ( there has been a 50 year gap!) and certainly be panned if they put it out today. One thing worthy of mention is that where they’ve lost or can’t use the original film, they’ve filled in the gaps with cartoons.
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11889
    Yeah, it was better than the opening episode but that isn't saying much.  I thought it was fairly poor and I sooooo wanted to like it.  Nice to see Bernard Cribbins at the end though.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16737
    It was good.   Nicely unsettling baddies.

axisus said:
    Absolutely... but that's not the way it was done.

Donna said: “Is it just me or was Isaac Newton hot?”

And the Doctor replied: “He was, wasn’t he? He was so hot. Oh! Is that who I am now?”

Donna added: “Well, it was never too far from the surface, mate. I always thought you..."

RTD both reminding us that it isn't a big stretch for the character, but also preparing us for what is to come with the next iteration.   All done with the fan favourites, rather than have the character development placed all on the new actor.
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    Offset said:
     Nice to see Bernard Cribbins at the end though.
    I had to go and check that he'd died and I hadn't just imagined it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Kilgore said:
    Offset said:
    Died just after filming it I think. Thankfully wasnt due to a rogue Meep though.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11889
    mrkb said:
    Kilgore said:
    Offset said:
    Died just after filming it I think. Thankfully wasnt due to a rogue Meep though.
    He probably read the script to the first episode and decided it was time to check out.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom