The Doctor Who thread

What's Hot

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24285
    The Master is now female so the ability for a time lord to swap is now canon.

starbuck and Boomer were male, now they are female. Wasn't PC, it was better writing.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    The Master is now female so the ability for a time lord to swap is now canon.

starbuck and Boomer were male, now they are female. Wasn't PC, it was better writing.

My niece is a feminist and a school teacher and she thinks tinkering with characters is just tokenism. It doesn't address the issue that there are not enough meaty roles on TV for women or black actors. The BBC should commission new drama like Luther to address the issue.

I just hated Missy - I was the actor playing the part and they way it was written, not the idea of having a woman play the part. It didn't work. It would have been better to have made River Song the new Master and dumped the marriage garbage.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Fretwired said:

My niece is a feminist and a school teacher and she thinks tinkering with characters is just tokenism. It doesn't address the issue that there are not enough meaty roles on TV for women or black actors. The BBC should commission new drama like Luther to address the issue.
    They have done; the problem is that none of them turned out to be as popular as Luther. I can't remember the names of any of them, which sort of proves the point.

I think the issue is that when they make these shows, they try to shoehorn the female lead into the "Strong, powerful woman, better than any man" archetype instead of being more realistic and acknowledging the differences between men and women and how they approach things. As a result, the characters simply aren't believable and everything they do is met with, "But they wouldn't do that!" from the audience...who subsequently switch off.

That's the trouble with trying to insist that any character can be played by either (or, to be more PC..."any") gender. It simply isn't realistic to consider genders as interchangeable, because they're an integral part of almost every well-fleshed-out character in almost all cases...a bloke wouldn't be successful playing Miss Marple any more than a woman would be playing Poirot.

Personally, I think the reason Starbuck worked as a woman was that the character from the original series wasn't particularly well-developed and was pretty generic, so they fixed both of those problems and made the character more specifically female in the process.
    <space for hire>
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2478
    http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/arts-entertainment/new-doctor-who-should-be-a-dalek-say-daleks-20170201121396

DALEKS have demanded that the new Doctor Who should be a Dalek. 

The Skaro natives have petitioned the BBC for ‘better representation’ from a show which has historically ‘erased and demonised’ their proud race. 

The Supreme Dalek said: “It’s not the 1960s anymore. These narratives about heroic Gallifreyans saving humanoids from extermination are outdated and offensive. 

“My son is an eight-year-old New Paradigm Dalek and his eyestalk droops whenever he turns on his favourite show to see that yet again, the Daleks are the baddies. 

“Imagine how proud he’d be to see a time-travelling Dalek up there, quipping wittily while saving the galaxy.

“The time has come for a more diverse Doctor Who, and that means giving a Dalek – many of whom are RADA-trained – the lead role. 

“A four-slice toaster could play the Dalek Doctor’s nubile assistant, with some sexual chemistry between them to keep it interesting.”

Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    Wasn't PC, it was better writing.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I've just improved Shakespeare - The title is now Hamletta .....
    axisus said:

Genius .... and Romana and Juliet ...

axisus said:

So you claim the 80s BSG was better than the reboot?

Are you ill? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I've got no problem with them making the doctor female or black so long as they do it because they've got someone perfect for the role and not just to make a point. 

People get way too upset about it. Not really sure what their problem is. Gender isn't really important to the Doctor's character. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    I've got no problem with them making the doctor female or black so long as they do it because they've got someone perfect for the role and not just to make a point. 

People get way too upset about it. Not really sure what their problem is. Gender isn't really important to the Doctor's character. 
    Quite frankly, I'd watch Anne Widdecombe as Dr Who if the scripts sparkled like they should. It's all about quality of writing.
    axisus said:
    I've got no problem with them making the doctor female or black so long as they do it because they've got someone perfect for the role and not just to make a point. 

Quite frankly, I'd watch Anne Widdecombe as Dr Who if the scripts sparkled like they should. It's all about quality of writing.
    "axisus said:
    To be honest all the PC brigade can just feck off with all that "too many white males" and "must be a woman" bollocks. It's just a Fekkin tv show. James Bond is man Othello is a big black bloke Wonder Woman is a female and Dr Who is a man (although an alien). Get over it."

Err.....
  • I've got no problem with them making the doctor female or black so long as they do it because they've got someone perfect for the role and not just to make a point. 

This really. Capaldi said it should be Frances DeLaTour and I can see that. The Dr is an alien who regenerates so could be a cat really as long as it's the right cat. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 

Actually I disagree. The problem with Who is importance of the backstory and 'mythology' of who he was and what he's done  unless future writers want to junk it. Whilst he regenerates he's supposed to essentially be the same person. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. I'd leave the character male - colour/race is irrelevant. He could be black, Chinese, Sikh or an Eskimo.

axisus said:

"axisus said:
    To be honest all the PC brigade can just feck off with all that "too many white males" and "must be a woman" bollocks. It's just a Fekkin tv show. James Bond is man Othello is a big black bloke Wonder Woman is a female and Dr Who is a man (although an alien). Get over it."

Err.....
    I still stand by both statements, the first one I made is a rally against the PC brigade rather than specifics about any individual programme. 

This really. Capaldi said it should be Frances DeLaTour and I can see that. The Dr is an alien who regenerates so could be a cat really as long as it's the right cat. 
    Can't agree, Cat's acting in Death in Paradise is really wooden...

Everybody's acting in Death in Paradise is really wooden. 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24580

I bloody love death in paradise because the acting is so wooden.

Having said that, the writing is still better than Dr Who at the moment.

I haven't seen any of the current series although I've watched all the previous ones. Partly I liked it because it featured a lot of reggae and ska. Then something happened and it just had library music on the soundtrack. If this series is back to recognisable songs that will be good.The plots have tended to be based on old crime novels, perhaps if they can't come up with any decent stories for Dr Who they should do likewise and just steal them.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24580

I haven't seen any of the current series although I've watched all the previous ones. Partly I liked it because it featured a lot of reggae and ska. Then something happened and it just had library music on the soundtrack. If this series is back to recognisable songs that will be good.The plots have tended to be based on old crime novels, perhaps if they can't come up with any decent stories for Dr Who they should do likewise and just steal them.
    They should steal some of the decent plots from 70s Dr Who.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    edited February 2017
    I don't care who they get really. I don't think the problem is who they cast, it's the quality of the storytelling.
    I haven't watched it in a few years but I watched the superhero Christmas special and that was awful. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    New trailer here .. some interesting monsters ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04wqvqp