The Rise and Rise of Wet Leg...

What's Hot

Comments

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9715
    Bidley said:
    merlin said:
    ICBM said:
    Am I the only one who finds them contrived and irritating? Trying too hard to be edgy and musically completely uninteresting.
    Not really. I find them a little bit "dopey", a little bit fake naive and as you say, contrived but hey, they get the vote of the millennials and generation Z so we ought to keep out big boomer mouths shut a bit round here.  

As millennials are largely in their mid-to-late-thirties now, I don't think they're the target demographic either (speaking as a millennial).

I don't really like their stuff, but I'm glad they exist.
    The crowd was a very mixed bag at the Birmingham hmv gig. I'm 35, and I'd sayi was pretty much average age there. There were some younger but just as many older still
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    ICBM said:
    Am I the only one who finds them contrived and irritating? Trying too hard to be edgy and musically completely uninteresting.
    Same, does absolutely nothing for me. All these indie bands that seem to have existed since stuff like The Strokes just sound like they follow the same template to me - same drum patterns, guitar parts/tone and most importantly the same bored sounding vocal (because they're obviously too cool to sing properly). But if they're number one then someone must like them I suppose.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4917
    They're alright, better than a lot of pop dross, their humour comes across as a bit sixth-form/Frankie Howerd to me.
  • PennPenn Frets: 620
    edited April 2022
    I bought the LP. I’ve enjoyed it. Mrs isn’t so sure about it. 
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    Penn said:
    I bought the LP. I’ve enjoyed it. Mrs isn’t so sure about it. 
    My Mrs isn't so sure about me watching all the videos with the pretty 20-somethings singing about Wet Dreams.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    My Mrs isn't so sure about me watching all the videos with the pretty 20-somethings singing about Wet Dreams.
    Why are you singing about wet dreams whilst watching their vids?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    poopot said:
    Why are you singing about wet dreams whilst watching their vids?
    Damn, you got me.
    My wife has banned me from listening to Wet Leg when the kids are around (which is always) because their songs are so rude...
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4999
    My wife has banned me from listening to Wet Leg when the kids are around (which is always) because their songs are so rude...
    Very convenient for her.
    Reverend said:
    Very convenient for her.
    I'm not sure she is terribly impressed with me ogling the pretty twentysomething girls either...
  • Reverend said:
    Very convenient for her.
    I'm not sure she is terribly impressed with me ogling the pretty twentysomething girls either...
    Tbf, you have form ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Reverend said:
    Very convenient for her.
    Tbf, you have form ;)
    No idea what you mean... ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4512
    Reverend said:
    Very convenient for her.
    Tbf, you have form ;)
    What a scurrilous accusation.

Mary's a thirtysomething.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1058
    I'm out of the loop, but my brother got the LP while I was visiting the UK. Utter shite imo.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6682
    I'm out of the loop, but my brother got the LP while I was visiting the UK. Utter shite imo.
    IMHO, Wet Leg ought to have (or maybe they already did) model themselves on The Shaggs. 

• JfingersJfingers Frets: 366
    I haven't listened to the album, just watched the official videos for Chaise Longue and Ur Mum.
    I'm more of an old Man alt country type.
    I really enjoyed both. I shall be asking my 21 year old if she's heard of them.

They remind me of Eels/Cake (Comfort Eagles) /Pixies.

I really enjoyed what I've heard.

• JfingersJfingers Frets: 366
    merlin said:
    IMHO, Wet Leg ought to have (or maybe they already did) model themselves on The Shaggs. 

That was like a 3 Woman Daniel Johnston, or a Roky or Manson prison recording. Horrible.
  • 0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Taking the discussion in a new direction, I couldn't help but notice at the Brits that since filming their various videos, mostly during lockdown, Rhiann has dropped a couple of dress sizes. 

Now, how she looks, her body image etc is entirely her business and nobody can ever say tother-wise.  I think she looks gorgeous and success clearly suits her, but it makes me a little sad to think she probably had label pressure to lose weight for continued success.

Especially as in the same show you had Lewis Capaldi and Sam Smith who it is fair to say, like me, are perfectly happy with a slightly larger frame.  Also of course the ridiculously handsome Harry Styles for balance.

A double standard for the music industry, or just a reflection of the fact that their quirky appeal will need to be followed up by a strong second album and continuing to appeal to 40-somethings (like me) who see Rhiann like a 21st century Louise Wener or Justine Frischmann...

• On the other hand, when my confidence levels are higher, I eat less crap and do more exercise, therefore I get thinner and look better. I'd imagine they've been a pretty gruelling schedule as well which would take its toll.

Congrats to the band for their recent awards success
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom