NGD

What's Hot
MellishMellish Frets: 947
edited May 2022 in Acoustics
This was yesterday. Went to GG to part ex my Martin HD-28. 

I thought I'd be coming home with an Atkin, but I tried the J43 and the Essential D and didn't like them. 
I spied a Gibson Dove way up the wall and asked to try it. I was struck by the powerful sound, and I knew I had to have it. I'll do a review over the weekend but, for now, is there any significance to the fact that the interior label is red not white? Cheers

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    which one,  natural or the red  ? 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    edited April 2022
    bertie said:
    which one,  natural or the red  ? 
     Vintage Cherry Sunburst  
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1747
    White label standard,  red custom shop or limited run. Since about 2007 I think.
    @ronnyb ; thanks mate :+1:
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5453
    Wow! Now there is a big surprise on both fronts - but playing is believing and you know what you like when it's in your hands. I'm sure you will enjoy it very much.

I'm looking forward to seeing pictures and hearing your considered thoughts.

(You'll be selling the HD-28 then, I imagine.)
    @Tannin ; I can't do pictures mate, sorry. It's been explained to me but I just don't get it. But I will give my thoughts in the hope they may be of help/interest to others. And I'll be asking questions, too ;). The HD-28 was part ex'd for this :) 
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4263
    When you find the right Gibson acoustic, you walk quickly to the counter, pay the money and take the guitar home, safe in the knowledge that you will never sit there playing it in the future and wishing your Gibson was an Atkin.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    *Ducks to avoid incoming missiles* ;) 
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4263
    What I'm aware of since getting it yesterday, is that the Dove is louder than the HD-28 I had. That surprised me because the HD-28 was LOUD. I also expected the maple b/s to give it a bright tone. Not so, if anything the tone is meaty with bags of volume :) 
    Maple is a wonderful, wonderful tonewood. Even bloody Gibson probably couldn't bugger up a maple-back guitar :lol: 

(I have never played a Gibson acoustic that I particularly liked. But then, I've never played a Dove. And, if I remember correctly, unlike almost all other Gibsons, the Dove has the proper scale length. And it's maple. It may be the exception to prove the rule) 

(Did I mention maple?)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2022
    @Tannin ; during my gigging career (1969-present) I've had 6 Gibsons and 3 Martins.To me, the soft V of the Martin HD28 Reimagined was a bit *too* much. I could gig with it and I did but I felt I was struggling a little - just the wrong profile for me. I knew it when I bought it but foolishly thought I'd adapt  
    Ahh yes ... I though I'd learn to love my CC 12-string neck profile, and I never did. On the other hand, my Mineur seemed alarmingly fat (only guitar I have ever bought sight unseen) but I came to love it within only a week or so. Now it is my favourite neck. 
    @Tannin ;  "Do I love it enough to *want* the fight?" played a part. Good though the HD-28 is, there's always been a Gibson player in me. So, too much wood in the neck, may have given me the excuse I was looking for to go back to Gibson :) 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Fair enough. That makes sense.

I think we all have a sound and a feel in our heads, something that gets into the blood such that a particular make feels like "home". I grew up hearing and (sometimes) playing Matons and although I love my various other guitars just as much, fully half my little collection has "Maton" on the headstock. And for you it seems to be Gibson.
    Everyone is different. That's why there's such a wide choice of guitars. It's good that there is, of course, but can't it make finding "the one" a lengthy process?! :) 
  • CryptidCryptid Frets: 406
    I loved my Atkin D37 but tried an Essential D at GG wasn't too impressed either. I actually preferred the £1k Eastman E6D!

Tried a Dove and fell in love ;) I always had a purist attitude to acoustic aesthetics and thought of certain Gibsons as gaudy, but the proof of the pudding is in the eating, as they say. Stunning, versatile and surprisingly balanced guitar. Good choice!
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    @Mellish ;   - do you have pictures hosted on a web server somewhere ?  (ie FB or imgur etc)  

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    @bertie ; no, sorry mate, I don't. I'd love to be able to show it off but this phone is absolutely basic :/
    Mate, just grab it and pop over to my place. I'll take some lovely pictures and host them on my web server for you. Can't say fairer than that.

What are you waiting for, it's only 18,000 kilometres.

(I'll just go and put the kettle on.)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom