What are the essential differences between guitar and bass

What's Hot

Comments

• MentalSharpsMentalSharps Frets: 165
    edited May 2022
    It would be interesting to see an example where the bass parts of songs were played by a guitar, and guitar parts played by bass and see what the effects of making those substitutions.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24273
    It would be interesting to see an example where the bass parts of songs were played by a guitar, and guitar parts played by bass and see what the effects of making those substitutions.
    I write like that sometimes.

Have a riff and a bass line and then swap them for part of the tune. It’s fun.
    I was just listening to The Yardbirds’ Lost Woman.

The bass is pretty much playing the melody and the guitars come in for stabby rhythmic things when needed. 

Then there’s a bit of a guitar solo and the bass drops and octave for that bit.

it’s a great tune.
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    Nothing quite like dominant bass bands like Joy Division.....big 'lead' bass chords.
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    Also, I've personally noticed that higher gain guitar is much easier to sound good compared to clean bass. 
    Also, I've personally noticed that higher gain guitar is much easier to sound good compared to clean bass. 
    The best bass sounds have a surprisingly high amount of dirt on them

Youtube is full of isolated bass tracks that sound horrible on their own, but amazing in the mix. They sound much cleaner in the mix too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1368
    mrkb said:
    Is it that one attracts the opposite (or same) sex and the other doesn’t?
    Most of the time! :D 

Mind you, on one solitary occasion after a pub gig a woman came up to me and asked me about my finger stamina and whether it was a transferable skill...

Unfortunately she asked in front of my girlfriend at the time.
    Now that really is a good example of poor timing!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72333

Youtube is full of isolated bass tracks that sound horrible on their own, but amazing in the mix. They sound much cleaner in the mix too.
    It constantly amazes me that when I hear my bass through my fuzz pedal - which doesn't even have a clean blend - on its own, the bass sounds incredibly gnarly and distorted... but as soon as everyone else is playing, it's only slightly "not clean". I really don't know why!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893

The bass in Wonderwall is positively filthy. Disgustingly so
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2357

It's almost the opposite from guitar, then, guitar (I think!) seems to sound more distorted once it's recorded.
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 954
    'It's got too many strings and they're too close together'

- the bass player in my old band while looking at a guitar with obvious discomfort 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26994
    Dave_Mc said:

It's almost the opposite from guitar, then, guitar (I think!) seems to sound more distorted once it's recorded.
    Yeah, less is more with gain on guitar. But you do often want a much more scratchy trebly tone for a mix than when in your bedroom
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Dave_Mc said:

Yeah, less is more with gain on guitar. But you do often want a much more scratchy trebly tone for a mix than when in your bedroom
    Yeah a lot of the isolated guitar tracks on recordings sound awful when listened to alone!
    Dave_Mc said:

I love recording metal with single coils for that reason.

I pretty much set the sound up with humbuckers, and then leave it alone and play it with a strat. Works really well.

Double tracked of course for those tiny variations that do so much. None of that copy-paste crap. There's zero point having duplicate identical tracks.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26994
    @fretmeister ;That sounds a good approach. I'm not a metal guy but I love a Jazzmaster with all the "shrill" top end that so many people hate. Put them in a mix and it's just fatness for days
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    @fretmeister I discovered this recently. I think scale length and string gauge comes into it as well as the pickups. I've had really good results doubling a G-style humbucker guitar with my Gretsch baritone
    Thundercat's view

Dave_Mc said:

I love recording metal with single coils for that reason.

I pretty much set the sound up with humbuckers, and then leave it alone and play it with a strat. Works really well.

Double tracked of course for those tiny variations that do so much. None of that copy-paste crap. There's zero point having duplicate identical tracks.
    Yeah. I don't record, but I tend to leave my amps set up the same way for that reason, too- that way I really hear how the different pickup types sound.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4981
    Interesting that nobody commented on the bass for Johnny B Goode and how I feel it is disconnected from the song and the rhythm. Anyone care to take this a bit further?
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Rocker said:
    Interesting that nobody commented on the bass for Johnny B Goode and how I feel it is disconnected from the song and the rhythm. Anyone care to take this a bit further?

It isn't disconnected from the song or the rhythm at all. It's mostly played on every beat in 4/4 and then in some places as quavers. It is true that the original recording is quite lacking and some bass notes stand out in odd places, but it is one of the most "on time" bass parts ever written. It's just a walking bass line that moves with the chord changes without anything weird going on.

The bass part was played by Willie Dixon. The style is very common for the era and the music type.

This cover version has the bass turned up a bit and has the music on screen. 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom