Identify / value amp

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3654
    strat84 said:
    Oh, there should be a code stamped into the chassis on the right at the back, should be something like A1xxxx. You can check what year it is here -  - http://www.superiormusic.com/page195.htm

Yes.  This is how we came to the conclusion that it’s a ‘72

Plan at the moment is for me to take it to see an Amp Tech, probably early next week (the same Tech that serviced it last time).  It will also give Domestic Management a chance to see how beautiful it looks sitting in my studio, especially since my birthday is just a couple of weeks away.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3042
    Musicwolf said:
    strat84 said:
    Oh, there should be a code stamped into the chassis on the right at the back, should be something like A1xxxx. You can check what year it is here -  - http://www.superiormusic.com/page195.htm

Yes.  This is how we came to the conclusion that it’s a ‘72

Plan at the moment is for me to take it to see an Amp Tech, probably early next week (the same Tech that serviced it last time).  It will also give Domestic Management a chance to see how beautiful it looks sitting in my studio, especially since my birthday is just a couple of weeks away.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    I have one of these, silverface with A1 stamp on chassis. Double deluxe is right. I was having trouble hearing myself on stage with a 1x12 Deluxe and this thing has a similar sound but with much better spread. I have no plans to sell, it's the only fender amp I could ever need. The only thing I'd change is the footswitch system because it's an archaic pain in the arse

My theory is that in the 70s players wanted fender cleans for funk and country etc, and anyone who wanted dirty-ish to rock sounds went with Marshall, so the idea of a dirty-ish fender amp didn't make sense. Leo Fender designed Musicman amps with solid state pres and valve power stages for this reason around that time

You can get some lush harmonic distortion and compression before the crunch kicks in

This amp is giving me plenty to think about.

It’s not mine but I can have it for almost nothing (I’ve been offered it for free but I think it only fair to pay something either to the widow or a charity of her choosing).  If I do take it then I need to spend some money getting it serviced but I’d still be getting a fantastic deal, but only if I keep it.  If I sell it on then I wouldn’t feel right pocketing the money (even if the widow says that she is ok with this).  So, whilst it’s a chance to own a great amp at a bargain price, it’s not a bargain if it just sits there.  Will I use it or would it be like owning a piece of artwork?  On top of this I have to get it past my beloved (although that’s half the fun of it).

I’ve spoken to the local Amp Tech to get some ballpark service costs. I’m most likely going to be taking it there next week but then it will reach a point of somebody needing to pay for some work, so that’s make your mind up time.  If I don’t take it myself then there is already interest from other forum members so it should end up in a good home (and not a skip as was the original intended destination).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Get it fixed up properly imo - sounds like it needs some love. And then take it from there. If it sounds good and it's no longer an electrical hazard you've done your bit
    Dropped off with the Amp Tech this morning (although the guy that does the work is away this week so it will be next week at the earliest).  Once I have a better idea as to what this thing is going to cost I can make a decision as to whether it stays or goes.  It's a great opportunity to own a fantastic amp but there's no point in me keeping it if it's not going to see any use.  That would just be tying up cash that could be used elsewhere whilst denying someone else the chance to use it in anger.
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    I found myself in a very similar situation a few years ago. I was offered an early 60s Fender amp head by a widow. Her late husband had spent quite a lot of money having it 'refurbished' which I discovered had been done badly. As a result it was worth very little - less than her husband had spent on it.

To cut a long story short I spent a lot of money on it, more than its market value, so selling it resulted in a loss and no money for the widow. It's something I wished I'd never become involved with.

Hopefully things will work out better for the OP.
    Update

The amp came back from the Tech with a clean bill of health.  It sounds wonderful so I met with the widow, learned more about her husband and his music, and bought it.

I tried it at practice last night and it lived up to its billing.  I may gig it this weekend.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    Perfect result :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Nice one congrats