Fender 68 Pro Reverb. (Reissue single channel) Anyone got one?

What's Hot
fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24274
edited May 2022 in Amps
I keep listening to the demos of this.

Is it stupidly over powered for home use? I'm only thinking about clean tones and then drive from pedals.
Or is there something more suitable for the home that sounds 90% of the way there?

Any thoughts?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    It does seem excessive for home use, but if it gives you the clean platform you want it could work well. 

I've been re-listening to a couple of Walkmen albums, Paul Maroon uses an original Pro Reverb with his Gretsch and Rickenbacker. No pedals. 

The way he plays accompanying the vocal is generally to play a mixture of single note riffs around chord shapes. The single notes just about stay clean but everything else overdrives the amp. I love that approach but it's much harder to do at home, especially with a larger amplifier.

• robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    I have an early 70s silverface Pro Reverb which is the same wattage but 2x12 and it is ridiculously overpowered for home use. I have a Spark for practicing at home, or else play through my powered monitors via the computer
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24274
    DiscoStu said:
    Yes - an amazing find!
    I see that @ICBM thinks they are controllable to whisper level. Seems quite handy if the re-issue is as good for that.

The re-issue version only has 1 channel.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    edited May 2022
    if you're playing clean (ish) and getting drive from pedals, nothing is too overpowered  

you know the TM word will be raised at some point...........................
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    Once upon a time I used to really like spending a couple of hours with a strat and a good Fender amp I had.

The Blues Deluxe Reissue obviously, not the BJ!

I'm wondering about doing that again.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tomajohatomajoha Frets: 906
    DiscoStu said:
    Yes - an amazing find!
    I see that @ICBM thinks they are controllable to whisper level. Seems quite handy if the re-issue is as good for that.

The re-issue version only has 1 channel.
    I have an early 70s silverface and I wholeheartedly agree with @ICBM, it’s the most controllable valve amp I own at low-volumes, more so than my Deluxe Reverb. I’m using inefficient speakers in there (c12qs) but it was similarly well-mannered running GA64c’s. 

Not sure how the reissue compares, if it’s anything like the other silverface reissues, the circuits are quite different to the originals.

• PALPAL Frets: 539
    The amp sounds good but I think it's too loud for home use ! It's a gigging amp maybe try the 68 Princeton or the 
      68 VibroChamp.
    I've just been watching some demos of the Vibro Champ.

Nice sounding thing. Can't find a shop with one in stock to try it out though. Even the big box shifters don't have them at the moment.
    edited May 2022
    I've just been watching some demos of the Vibro Champ.

Nice sounding thing. Can't find a shop with one in stock to try it out though. Even the big box shifters don't have them at the moment.
    go for the pro,  you'll prefer the bigger cab
    PAL said:
    The amp sounds good but I think it's too loud for home use ! It's a gigging amp maybe try the 68 Princeton or the 
      68 VibroChamp.
    in which case they're all too loud

ever tried 1 watt through an efficient speaker in a 12' x 10'  room?   

if Fret's after cleans and OD from pedals,  bigger amps = bigger cabs = fuller sound.  -  win win win

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2358
    bertie said:
    PAL said:
      68 VibroChamp.
    in which case they're all too loud

ever tried 1 watt through an efficient speaker in a 12' x 10'  room?   

if Fret's after cleans and OD from pedals,  bigger amps = bigger cabs = fuller sound.  -  win win win

Yeah. I haven't tried one watt, but I've tried 5 watts- far too loud if you want to crank it. I've also tried 5 watts through a 6" ~90dB Jensen speaker (about as inefficient a guitar speaker as you can get)- and even that is still too loud in a smaller home-sized room.
    you dont "have" to max out an amp to get great sounds..................
  • ChrisCox1994ChrisCox1994 Frets: 368
    I had one for a couple weeks. Much prefer the 68 Princeton or the vibrolux for home and gigs. The smaller size cab made it sound boxy and loud like a blues jr almost
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
     made it sound boxy and loud like a blues jr almost
    not exactly two things Id want,  ever
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 798

Is it stupidly over powered for home use? I'm only thinking about clean tones and then drive from pedals.
    Or is there something more suitable for the home that sounds 90% of the way there?

Any thoughts?
    Have you tried and ruled out a 65 Princeton reissue for this purpose? Great with pedals, virtually no circuit noise and the reverb and trem are glorious. It’s also got enough poke for a small pub gig etc

Any thoughts?
    Have you tried and ruled out a 65 Princeton reissue for this purpose? Great with pedals, virtually no circuit noise and the reverb and trem are glorious. It’s also got enough poke for a small pub gig etc
    Not tried any of them yet.

My local shop (PMT) doesn't have a lot of stock of amps over £500
    I had one for a couple weeks. Much prefer the 68 Princeton or the vibrolux for home and gigs. The smaller size cab made it sound boxy and loud like a blues jr almost
    Well that's put me off the smaller ones completely.

• CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1336
    I've got the '68 Vibro Champ Reverb. 
    Absolutely love the tone of it for clean Fender sounds at home. (I plug in my Custom Shop strat and it's gorgeous - as someone else said above there's something to be said for plugging straight in and just ...playing thru a Fender amp).

To get any sort of breakup you'll need pedals or attenuation - even with humbuckers you'll be shaking the windows to get it otherwise (but that's true of any 5 watt-er).

To my ears it's nothing like the lifeless sounding Blues Junior (which ain't that much cheaper).

Reservations - well it's pricey - 800 notes sat on the bedroom floor... but ...quality costs right.?
    AND I made the mistake of plugging into channel 2 (Vintage Channel) of a '68 Custom Deluxe Reverb..and it smoked the vibro champ tone wise BUT ...it should at 400 quid more.

A Pro-reverb for me is complete overkill for home use...but I realise we're on a guitar forum and there's guys with Marshall Majors and 4x12s at home saying no replacement for displacement...so...there you go...!

...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
    Well, my MOT just cost £800 and my boiler packed in this morning.

So bang goes this idea.

Thanks anyway chaps.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom