Vintage Amps - (why) are they 'better'?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• 4on64on6 Frets: 86
    My 2p worth. It all depends on expectation and what you want to use it for… expecting almost any vintage amp to djent is pretty unlikely for example. Most amps have a certain sound which they excel at so its sometimes a matter of identifying that and if it suits ones style. 
    The business model was slightly different though I feel, a company’s main objective was not all about maximising profits for shareholders above genuine quality. Many of the now big names were still trying to prove themselves in the 1960s/70s and even 80s. Also there was a certain pride in manufacture of many semi-luxury goods at this time. (Although I just had the image of British Leyland cars running through my mind, maybe its just rose-tinted spec memories?)
    Modern boutique builders often make amazing amps that equal any vintage amp.. but still are probably not the same. 
    Older amps can sound better because things have shifted out of original tolerance.. speakers as mentioned being an obvious culprit. Also the materials that are now banned… mercury… asbestos etc, someone else will have a better idea than me if that has an effect? 
    All I know is I still miss my 73 deluxe for all its headroom shortfalls. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom