HSS strats. What bridge humbucker are you using?

What's Hot

Comments

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4839
    edited May 2022
    P.s. Also consider doing a series/parallel on a push pull rather than split, I personally think it sounds better. Especially with the Thornbucker+, especially when you consider splitting a humbucker that is PAF style will give you a really low output unless you do it PRS style and use a resistor in the circuit. Even then I prefer parallel to split. 

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilMPhilM Frets: 279
    edited May 2022
    Oil City Blitz Spirit in the bridge, Stone Tone middle and neck. On both main HSS Strats. Partial split with a resistor on pos 2.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72412
    Boromedic said:
    P.s. Also consider doing a series/parallel on a push pull rather than split, I personally think it sounds better. Especially with the Thornbucker+, especially when you consider splitting a humbucker that is PAF style will give you a really low output unless you do it PRS style and use a resistor in the circuit. Even then I prefer parallel to split. 
    Parallel gives a lower output than split, though - the output impedance is halved, and there’s always some harmonic cancellation between the coils.

I prefer split usually - especially with a resistor - although for bass, parallel is better for some reason!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7961
    edited May 2022
    I was surprised how good split with a resistor sounded on the SSV. I think I’ll do that on all PAF output pickups in the future instead of a full split, sounds way less brittle 
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4839
    ICBM said:
    Boromedic said:
    Parallel gives a lower output than split, though - the output impedance is halved, and there’s always some harmonic cancellation between the coils.

I prefer split usually - especially with a resistor - although for bass, parallel is better for some reason!
    You know way more than me John obviously, why does it sound better though?! :)

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7961
    On bass I find parallel gives a pleasing mid scoop which is often what you want for a bass, and maintains noise cancelling
  • westwest Frets: 996
    Lollar imperial f space  in the bridge of my tom anderson droptop ... mine is paired with suhr v60lps ....
  • photekphotek Frets: 1463
    edited May 2022
    +1 for the Thornbucker and Thornbucker+ both excellent paired with medium output singles (perfection with Suhr ML). Needs to see 500k though obvs.
    Boromedic said:

You know way more than me John obviously, why does it sound better though?! :)
    Better is subjective :).

I don't like parallel for guitar pickups very much, it sounds a bit 'weak' to me - it has a slight flavour of the Strat in-between sound, for the same reason... essentially two parallel single coils, which produce harmonic cancellation.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33801
    Suhr SSV+.
    A bit hotter than vintage.
  • Bennyboy-UKBennyboy-UK Frets: 1726
    My god, I've got loads of different ones and I like them all.

Seymour Duncan JB with SSL1s
    Bareknuckle Rebel Yell with SSL1s
    Seymour Duncan PATB1 with PATB-Stks
    EMG 89 (and 85) with SAs
    80s Hamer (Made by Dimarzio) Slammer HB with Slammer Single Coils
    Dimarzio PAF Pro with other Dimarzio early 90s single coils (in Music Man Silhouette)

I happen to like a contrast in output levels, but it's no hardship to use the volume control, or change pickup heights a bit if you wanted to.

One pickup which was a bit of a revelation was a Rio Grande Tallboy - thats a humbucker made up of two traditional designed singlecoils mounted and wired so you can have true singlecoil sounds when split and a decent meaty humbucker sound as well with the coils in series (I think in series).

I got one of these for an HSS strat project, and it did what was advertised - however it made me realise that I don't really like bridge single coil sounds - so it was helpful from that perspective.

Cheers,
    Ben.

I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:
    * Hamer Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62.
    * Music Man Luke 1, Luke II

Please drop me a message.
    One pickup which was a bit of a revelation was a Rio Grande Tallboy - thats a humbucker made up of two traditional designed singlecoils mounted and wired so you can have true singlecoil sounds when split and a decent meaty humbucker sound as well with the coils in series (I think in series).
    There's also the Seymour Duncan Stag Mag and Oil City Brassknuckle, which are the same idea. To me they do sound extremely good as split single coils, but not the same as a normal humbucker even when used as one (yes, they are in series normally). One of the useful things about the Brassknuckle I found when I fitted one to a friend's guitar is that splitting it to the bridge-side coil made it sound more like a Strat, and to the neck-side coil made it more like a Tele, even though both coils are actually the same - so I made it switchable for him.

• zerolightzerolight Frets: 85
    edited May 2022
    Right now I have an EMG 85 in mine. I know. Shocker. Not the done thing. In fairness it’s the first EMG I’ve owned in 34 years of playing. I kinda like it. Though it does have a mid thing going on like a tube screamer or something. One of my fav humbuckers in a strat type is the EVH Wolfgang bridge though. The Duncan Custom Frankie was pretty good. And I once had a killer Motorcity Blissterbucker in a strat type. 
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    I think bridge humbucker in parallel sounds really good combined with the middle single-coil pickup. That's how I have my HSS Pacifica wired instead of split.
  • Thornbucker Plus. To me, the perfect bridge pickup for that style of guitar.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    This is pretty good explanation of a SSH guitar set up and why the guy chose the Thornbucker over Seymour Duncan JB that came in his CS Strat

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24362
    Nice vid!
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    Nice vid!
    Yeah it shows the difference pretty well between a hot humbucker and a PAF-type. A PAF type will still overpower the singles, but not just as badly. That being said, and you can get a bit of that from the vid, because the hotter pickup is more compressed it can actually sometimes sound less loud, not sure if that's actually true or psychological, though! But (as the video shows) the tone won't be just such a quantum leap from the single coils, it works better as an overall guitar, at least IMO.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22939
    Dave_Mc said:
    Nice vid!
    Yeah it shows the difference pretty well between a hot humbucker and a PAF-type. A PAF type will still overpower the singles, but not just as badly. That being said, and you can get a bit of that from the vid, because the hotter pickup is more compressed it can actually sometimes sound less loud, not sure if that's actually true or psychological, though! But (as the video shows) the tone won't be just such a quantum leap from the single coils, it works better as an overall guitar, at least IMO.
    The difference is easy to hear, but I have to say I liked the sound of the JB too!
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24362
    I liked them both too.

But the Les Paul was even better!