HSS strats. What bridge humbucker are you using?

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    As mentioned earlier in the thread, I like Thornbuckers and had them in my Alt T and thought the demo showed them off really well, very open but worked well with overdrive and combined well with single coils. However, I also liked the JB in this vid, which is what I happen to have now.

OP, I see you're now after a Thornbucker.

I also agree. The Les Paul sounded nice and the guitarist here, Paul Drew, has some nice guitars.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24369
    Yeah - I've not had a Suhr pickup before so I might as well give one a try.

Hopefully I can find a used 53mm one. Can't find any new ones in the UK at the moment.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    edited May 2022
    Philly_Q said:
    Dave_Mc said:
    Nice vid!
    Yeah it shows the difference pretty well between a hot humbucker and a PAF-type. A PAF type will still overpower the singles, but not just as badly. That being said, and you can get a bit of that from the vid, because the hotter pickup is more compressed it can actually sometimes sound less loud, not sure if that's actually true or psychological, though! But (as the video shows) the tone won't be just such a quantum leap from the single coils, it works better as an overall guitar, at least IMO.
    The difference is easy to hear, but I have to say I liked the sound of the JB too!
    Yeah me too, though I never really like it when I play it myself!

I should probably clarify that I've never tried a Thornbucker, but it did (more or less) sound different in the way that any PAF-style pickups I've tried have sounded different from a hotter pickup like a JB. You don't have to go for a Thornbucker, in other words, just something with a similar spec. You can probably go under 8k if you want something as close as possible to the single coils (though still not that close, to be clear), or closer to 9k (or even slightly over) if you want to hedge your bets a little and still have one foot a little bit in the JB camp for heavier stuff. EDIT: Ah I see you just want to try a Suhr pickup since you haven't tried them before, in that case go for it (I don't think I've tried them either, I've only tried one Suhr years ago and I can't remember what pickups it even had!).
    I liked them both too.

But the Les Paul was even better!
    I preferred the Strat! I just like superstrats, lol (see avatar).
    Cor blimey it’s difficult to find a 53mm Thornbucker in the UK at the moment.

I just want an uncovered one. Black, zebra, or the off white (parchement?)

A few 50mm about but everywhere else is out of stock / awaiting delivery for ages.
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1960

A few 50mm about but everywhere else is out of stock / awaiting delivery for ages.
    Pretty sure I have one in an unused state. I bought the Zebra version but really wanted Nickel. I'll check when I get back from hols at the weekend. 
    exocet said:

Pretty sure I have one in an unused state. I bought the Zebra version but really wanted Nickel. I'll check when I get back from hols at the weekend. 
    Lovely! Thank you.
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1656
    Dimarzio Tone Zones in all of mine..
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

I've had Tone Zones before but I'm looking for something a bit less aggressive this time.
  • BorkBork Frets: 256
    edited July 2022
    I'm not sure if can contribute much with just EMG89/SA/SA + SPC fat boost in my maple bodied strat.  But there's quite a level difference in the 89 going from SC to HB mode.  While that can be compensated for with the fat boost,  the better solution seems to adjust pickup height so the SC mode output is consistent with the other coils.  Yes that makes HB mode even louder but the way I look at it,  it'll only ever be used with gain anyways so w.t.h.

I'm also looking at the DiMarzio Dual Sound in place of a Super D.  for another project.  Any thoughts would be welcome. 

[This space for rent]