Slotted headstocks

What's Hot

Comments

• ExorcistExorcist Frets: 604
    I always thought the 'two holes' were to keep the strings aligned - so the two 'E' strings would use the outside holes for example, and the 'D' and 'G' would use the 'inner' holes...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    Exorcist said:
    I always thought the 'two holes' were to keep the strings aligned - so the two 'E' strings would use the outside holes for example, and the 'D' and 'G' would use the 'inner' holes...
    then why two holes ?  (they're three on a plate)  and not just two outer and 4 inner ?    I guess the answer is "manufacturing costs"

Im going to try the "use both" approach next time I restring anyway :)
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    My first guitar in 1960 had a slotted headstock. I don't recall any problems restringing up there.

What. I *did* find a pain (it was nylon strung) was anchoring at the bridge :) 
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15488
    Mellish said:
    My first guitar in 1960 had a slotted headstock. I don't recall any problems restringing up there.

What. I *did* find a pain (it was nylon strung) was anchoring at the bridge :) 
    preach, along side the tuning pegs on violins etc, one of the dumbest things you'll find on a musical instrument. It's the 21C FFS, I'm sure we can think of a better way to secure strings to the body. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @VimFuego ; - got my first steel string in 1965, an Eko IIRC. What a difference, and what a blessing! :) 
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1852
    I got my first real six string,I bought it at the five and dime. I played until my fingers bled,it was the summer of 69.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72356
    VimFuego said:

one of the dumbest things you'll find on a musical instrument. It's the 21C FFS, I'm sure we can think of a better way to secure strings to the body. 
    I don’t get this at all - it’s dead easy once you learn how. (Like so many things.)

The real pain with nylon strings is them going constantly flat for about a week, even with repeated stretching. They seem to settle down and become properly stable about five minutes before the windings indent and they need replacing…

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TanninTannin Frets: 5450
    Summary of thread so far:

Slotted headstocks are bad. They are a PITA to use.

No they are not. They are just fine.

(3 further pages of tips and tricks aimed at making them work properly if you hold your tongue just right.)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @VimFuego there are various companies selling cheap little gadgets to bring nylon strings into the 20th Century. (Yes, 20th - primitive tie-them-on technology was outmoded  a hundred years ago, never mind in 2022.) Let's see if I can find an example. Ahh, here is one:

Yes, I take all that on-board. 

In *my* case, though, it was my first guitar, a Kay nylon strung from Woolworths. I think it cost £30. I found restringing it a pain, and it would constantly go out of tune. I had a pitchpipe shaped like a star and, tbh, I came close to packing it in. I think I would have if I hadn't had a friend who I jammed with. 

That was 1960,seems a world away. But I didn't give up. I p/e  the Kay for an Eko steel string. Been gigging for many years. My friend moved to California and got married, named his son after me :) 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    All the very nicest people start out on a cheap nylon and then graduate to an Eko steel-string. Scientifically proven fact. :)

Btw @Tannin ; - if you think you'd like a banjo but you're not sure about the type, drop me a PM saying what you'd like to play on it or check out my posts in Other Instruments :) 
    Cheers mate. I'll do that. Not sure when or if I'll go down that path - possibly after we get the builders to put on a couple of extra rooms! (No joke: we are on 20 acres but it's only a small house and I don't have a music room, so Mrs Tannin get's a bit grumpy whenever I litter the living area with yet another instrument.)
    Hope all that goes well mate. Time for me to get my beauty sleep ;) 
    edited June 2022
    Mellish said:
    Btw @Tannin ; - if you think you'd like a banjo but you're not sure about the type, drop me a PM saying what you'd like to play on it or check out my posts in Other Instruments  
    being a "natural" picker,  I tried banjy a few years back................... easy ?

was it f**k.....................  completely different picking style/rhytm  which having been an "alternate bass thumb" for so long I found it near impossible to get "the roll"...................  coupled with "not gushing enthusiasm to stick at it"  I sold it  

I tried the compulsory  "Duelin Banjys"  and "Foggy Mountain"   which I got about 6 bars into both  - perhaps I should've started on the basics and worked up =)
    edited June 2022
    @bertie ; - I assume a resonator banjo, ie a back, held on by 3/4 screws, favoured by bluegrass players? :) 
    edited June 2022
    Mellish said:
    @bertie ; - I assume a resonator banjo, ie a back, held on by 3/4 screws, favoured by bluegrass players?  
    I only know of two types,   "normal"  and open back  -  this was a normal proper 5 string jobbie, Ashbury I think it was from Hobgoblin
    edited June 2022
    The Openback is used for frailing. It's a totally different playing style that most can master. It's also called old-time or bum-ditty or clawhammer

Any tune you can play by picking rolls on a bluegrass-meant banjo you can play with this old-time style. 
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1852
    I love the sound of a Mandolin. I went to Catholic Schools and there would always be a teacher or two who played guitar in assemblies. One time I saw and heard a teacher play a Mandolin and instantly loved its sound. Its also probably why I like the song Chance by Big Country as I'm pretty sure somebody plays a Mandolin type instrument through it.
    As an aside,although I went to a Catholic Primary School we had a beatnik teacher who would have a school full of kids from 7-11 singing the likes of House of the Rising Sun,Blowin in the wind,Me and Bobby McGhee,Hey Jude and many other songs in assemblies that may not have been suitable for younger ears. The times we had back then!