Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Really REALLY great small amps for home use?

What's Hot
12346»

Comments

• stickyfiddle;350316" said:
    grungebob said:

Line 6 DT 25.

Everything and more than what you need.

I suspect a modeller is just too complicated for what I need. Not that I can't work them, but because I always find myself tweaking endlessly rather than just playing. It's the same thing I have with the 5:25; I switch on and spend 20 minutes dialling in sounds and 5 minutes playing.

I think I need a simple amp (probably single channel or very basic twin) that just always sounds awesome without docking about. 

I really think a VC15 plus attenuator may be the way I go, if I can find a way to get one in the UAE!
    Its not really a modler unless you connect the HD pod. Without it its just a normal amp controlled as every other amp in the world is, pots and a pedal simple as. Don't discount a great amp , if this was made by anyone else but line 6 I really think it'd be the darling of the music press and forums alike.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm not discounting it because it's a modeller, I'm discounting it because it has shitloads of sounds in it which is a big chunk of why the Mesa isn't right for me at the mo. 

If I was gigging I'm quite sure the DT25 would be brilliant.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • 4 sounds 2 channels
  • Plus Pentode/Triode option, Class A/AB option plus software that lets you choose 30 preamps and 12 different reverbs...

I just want volume, drive, EQ and reverb!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11877
    Plus Pentode/Triode option, Class A/AB option plus software that lets you choose 30 preamps and 12 different reverbs...

Yamaha THR10
    Blackstar HT-1R, HT-5R

No good?
  • Plus Pentode/Triode option, Class A/AB option plus software that lets you choose 30 preamps and 12 different reverbs...

Yamaha THR10
    Blackstar HT-1R, HT-5R

No good?
    I've already settled (I think) on a Laney Lionheart - the L5T 5W version. See thread here: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/23573/laney-lionhearts#latest
  • Lol I didn't use any of that just fender clean channel A mesa drive channel B.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3423
    edited September 2014
    Gassage;350755" said:
    Re Jesse, he also used the Chandlers thing to send out a few free samples to peeps like Phil Taylor (Gilmour's toyshop keeper) Townsend and El Slowhand.

I don't blame him for that and it was a nice position to be in.
    I knew of Jesse a good few years ago as a maker of attenuators as well as an amp tech. He was highly recommended for those (easily 10 years ago?) then I think he went to the states again, came back and eventually started with the amps. I would guess he had a large user base and excellent contacts a long time ago...and his product hit right at the peak of the small-amp boom - and don't forget they were reasonably priced to begin with. Kind of wish id got in early...they're too expensive for me now.

The MJW and JPF amps look like good value to me, if they tick your requirements boxes. I'm too much of a flipper though, with the exception of my hc30, so I try to buy used to minimise my losses.
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3869
    Has anyone got a Skylark they're looking to sell?
    Cheers,
    Dave 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7422
    Yamaha THR10C
    Red ones are better. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28268
    Microcube!
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Two Rock Exo 15, love this wee amp. Is still loud enough to play live with too :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    stickyfiddle;350316" said:
    grungebob said:

Line 6 DT 25.

I suspect a modeller is just too complicated for what I need. Not that I can't work them, but because I always find myself tweaking endlessly rather than just playing. It's the same thing I have with the 5:25; I switch on and spend 20 minutes dialling in sounds and 5 minutes playing.

I think I need a simple amp (probably single channel or very basic twin) that just always sounds awesome without docking about. 

I really think a VC15 plus attenuator may be the way I go, if I can find a way to get one in the UAE!
    That's what 5:25 means, for every 25 minutes of turning knows you get 5 minutes of playing.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1633

On the "Homeworking" point. Saw  a BBC progg few weeks ago where a gal got a guy to fix up an old Bakelite cased radio (a type I have repaired loads of times).

The guy gutted it and fitted an EL84 and ECC83 and turned it into a guitar amp/pod amplifier. The gal sold it for £350 iirc!

Now THIS is something I could do! I don't NEED an income as such but if I could find old radios very cheaply and transmogrify them and get a chunk of cash like that two or three times a year, NICE!

I shall have to wait for various health issue to stabilize but it seems a viable option?

Dave.

• JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1260
    stickyfiddle;350316" said:
    grungebob said:

Line 6 DT 25.

That's what 5:25 means, for every 25 minutes of turning knows you get 5 minutes of playing.
    Well, you certainly can do that just from the sheer versatility of the thing, and it's kind of fun to experiment with, but I've always found it quite quick and easy to dial up something I'm happy with on mine when I just want to get on with playing...
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...