SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SOLD: Atkin Small Jumbo, Black Pearl, 25th Anniversary edition

What's Hot
DB1DB1 Frets: 5025
edited October 2022 in Acoustics £
I have a small jumbo. This never worked as a chat up line, and not sure it will now either. So...

I dunno about this. It's much too good a guitar to sell really, but it's also much too good for my 'Home on the Range' playing - so much so that the deer and the antelope have buggered off somewhere else in disgust.

Its a lovely vibrant guitar which I think looks pretty sensational. It's aged of course, and no rude comments there please. I was set on buying my old Gibson LG-2 back, which is a lovely guitar, but then I played this and there was no comparison - genuinely, there wasn't. It's a fabulous guitar for electric players (at the moment) as I've got it set up pretty much how I'd set up an electric, but of course you can change that. It's got it's own Atkin fitted case of course.

I feel that I SHOULD sell it, as I don't do it justice, but it's a tough call. Anyway, I wasn't too sure about putting it on here, as I guess it's a niche guitar in some respects, and sales are damn slow at the moment. So - it's supposed to be going for a commission sale on Saturday if I still go through with it, but I thought I'd give it a quick airing on here first.

It was @Hattigol that suggested that I put it on here actually - he's played it and has declared it the nicest acoustic that he's ever played, although it should be noted that @Hattigol is to acoustic guitars what Hannibal Lecter is to veganism.

Anyway, I thought I'd give it a quick airing on here. My dealer pal reckons that I should see £2600-£2700 for it after commission, so I thought I'd suggest £2599 using the subtle and rarely used advertising method of making it appear more like £2500 than £2600.

I've only got three pics at the moment (there's a couple of marks on the front as you see, but I don't know if that's part of the distressing, or - they're marks), as I hadn't intended to a) sell it and b) put it on the forum, but can take some more if anyone's keen. I of course reserve the right to change my silly basket case of a mind should the wind change direction. And my wife's making a cottage pie tonight, so there's a reasonable chance of that.

Call me Dave.
2reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    Rare for me to be quoted but yes indeed, this is a fabulous thing.

I hate acoustics usually as a) I find them stultifyingly dull (plain colour or sunburst, sir? Oh actually, we're out of sunburst) b) they are horribly unwieldy and c) they are bastards to play.

This ticks none of the above boxes. It's a thing of wonder.

Still not as good as an electric, mind...
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5025
    edited June 2022
    I've given you a 'wisdom' for that. It's the first ever, so make it last.  :o
    Call me Dave.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CountryDaveCountryDave Frets: 853
    Bloody hell, that is stunning.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27080
    DB1 said:

I feel that I SHOULD sell it, as I don't do it justice, but it's a tough call. 

I can’t help feeling that the length of your post (no pun intended..) suggests you’d be better off keeping it and pushing your playing upwards to do it justice?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2022
    That, my friend, is one of my shorter posts. 

Actually, acoustic stuff isn't much of a priority for me. A bit of the old Delta Blues (well, the Stafford Delta) and I'm happy.

Call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WarblingtonWarblington Frets: 109
    What’s the nut width please?
    It's 1" 11/6 - all specs are here...   https://atkinguitars.com/guitar/atkin-small-jumbo/

Call me Dave.
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2200
    What an absolute beauty.  

Do you know what the woods are under the black?  Is it sitka top and maple back/sides?  
    I think that it's all as per the specs here - https://atkinguitars.com/guitar/atkin-small-jumbo/

Call me Dave.
    Fishboy7 said:
    What an absolute beauty.  

Do you know what the woods are under the black?  Is it sitka top and maple back/sides?  
    I thought the Black Pearl series were maple b/s as well. The L36 versions are.
    DB1 said:
    It's 1" 11/6 - all specs are here...   https://atkinguitars.com/guitar/atkin-small-jumbo/

Thank you.
    Fishboy7 said:
    What an absolute beauty.  

I thought the Black Pearl series were maple b/s as well. The L36 versions are.

Yes, looking at a spec for the L36 Black Pearl series, that looks correct. I can't find any info on the SJ Black Pearl though - looks a rare beast. Was it only made for the 25th Anniversary?

Call me Dave.
    DB1 said:

Thank you.

Pleasure sir. They're the normal SJ specs of course, and now I'm trying to find out what the difference (apart from the obvious) is with the Black Pearl editions.
    Call me Dave.
    Just to add to the merriment, here's the ad which made me go and try it, together with lots more pics!

Interestingly, the description is 'The back and sides are mahogany which together with the Baked Sitka Spruce top gives the instrument a warm overall tonal character. The C-shaped mahogany neck has 14 frets to the body and is fitted with a bound rosewood fretboard, inlaid with our new Atkin double-diamond pearl position markers.'

Presumably a copy and paste from the Atkin spec sheet as it says 'our'. Incidentally, if I was to call it a 'C', I'd call it a shallow 'C'.

Call me Dave.
  • TDubsTDubs Frets: 707
    Jeez this looks great!
  • PM sent.
    edited August 2022
    Just bringing this up to the top again. I could do with selling a couple of guitars, and I am to acoustic guitars what Jack the Ripper is to the 'Safer Streets' campaign, so floating this baby again.

I'll see if I get some more pics, but right now, my dog's in the front room asleep, with the curtains drawn as it's so warm. I can't disturb him. He's much more important than a guitar, you know.

Edit: I've checked and he says he's not moving.
    Call me Dave.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2022
    I had to pick my moments while his lordship was lying outside in the shade, but managed to get a few more pics today. I've also included the spec as per the certificate. I didn't think of doing that before. Too complicated for me, obviously.

I've tried to show a few scuffs on it, which aren't part of the relicing - I'm thinking that it must have really thin skin finish, which is great for the guitar, but it must bruise as easily as I do when I answer my wife's question 'does my bottom look a little big in this -be honest' incorrectly.

It's all part of the relic vibe I suppose, and it looks and sounds wonderful. I've set it up as if it was an electric guitar, but that's only because I'm not really an acoustic guitar player.

Call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Baked Sitka is as unappetising a dessert as 'turd on toast' is as a main course. But I'm sure it's superb on a guitar as is pastry on an apple pie.
    Who would like to get their hands on my small jumbo? :o
    Call me Dave.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom