Recommendations for medium-bodied acoustic please (up to £500)

What's Hot

Comments

• MellishMellish Frets: 947
    Yes, short scale, but I'd still recommend your daughter tries one.

She may not like it and that's totally fine, but don't rule anything out yet :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Mellish said:
    Yes, short scale, but I'd still recommend your daughter tries one.

She may not like it and that's totally fine, but don't rule anything out yet :) 
    We'll certainly try one if we see one - they seem to have attracted the most comments, both for and against, on this thread, so if we go somewhere that's got one I'll definitely be looking to have a go.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMadMickTheMadMick Frets: 245
    If you are interested, I might let me Yamaha AC3R go for a reasonable price. I've an eye on something else that might suit me better.

• Well we spent the afternoon in Exeter today and had a play on quite a few different guitars in the £250 to £500 range (new). I can't remember all the exact models, but various Yamaha, Fender, Guild, Faith, Tanglewood, Cort, Sigma, Eastman. Alice took pictures of the labels of a lot of them but I'm just going from memory.
    FWIW I think the Taylor GS Mini isn't going to work - too small and short scale really. She seems to prefer an OM/Orchestra size body. The Yamahas we tried were all very bright and almost harsh sounding to my ears. Some of the cheaper Fenders were pretty good, certainly for their price. Most of the others were nice but nothing remarkable for or against. But of all the guitars we tried, the one we both liked the best was a Faith Naked Venus - really nice full sound (both unplugged and amplified) without being boomy, and clear when picked without being too bright. There was just something about it that we both just liked a bit more than the others.
    So I think the Faith is our new yardstick to judge anything else we try against. If nothing else we like better comes up I'd be more than happy to buy one of those, but for now we're in no rush so will keep looking. Interesting and useful afternoon though. 
    That's a "NO!" for a GS Mini then :)

Be aware, though, that if your daughter decides on a Faith Naked Venus, it won't sound exactly like the one you both liked. That's just not possible. 

Maybe try a few s/h next time as well, to get higher up the ladder without spending more :) 
  • I know each individual guitar sounds slightly different - are you suggesting Faith are particularly inconsistent or was it just a general remark? In practice, if we did settle on one of those and were buying new then we would go back to Exeter and make sure the one we bought sounded how she likes (the one we tried was in Manson's)

We didn't try any second-hand guitars today because the places we were in didn't have much used (Life Guitars is the obvious second-hand dealer in Exeter but they seemed to have nothing but dreads and classical today in that price range). Might have to make a trip further afield to find some more. All good fun though. 
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2382
    edited July 2022
    Mellish said:
    That's a "NO!" for a GS Mini then

Be aware, though, that if your daughter decides on a Faith Naked Venus, it won't sound exactly like the one you both liked. That's just not possible. 

Maybe try a few s/h next time as well, to get higher up the ladder without spending more  
    I was going to say, "It will if you buy the one you liked", but even that's not always true! I've gone back to a shop to try a guitar I really liked (with a view to buying) and the next day I tried it it sounded different!

That's a good point about the s/h thing, too- they don't even need to be s/h. It can be a dangerous game as it can start you wanting stuff you can't afford, but being aware of how much better the dearer stuff is (if at all!) is kind of useful to know. Apart from anything else, it will inform your decisions about the cheaper stuff, it'll make it easier to evaluate the cheaper stuff.
    I know each individual guitar sounds slightly different - are you suggesting Faith are particularly inconsistent or was it just a general remark? In practice, if we did settle on one of those and were buying new then we would go back to Exeter and make sure the one we bought sounded how she likes (the one we tried was in Manson's)

We didn't try any second-hand guitars today because the places we were in didn't have much used (Life Guitars is the obvious second-hand dealer in Exeter but they seemed to have nothing but dreads and classical today in that price range). Might have to make a trip further afield to find some more. All good fun though. 
    I don't know what they're like now but 3-4 years ago when my sister was buying her acoustic, once she had pretty much decided that Faiths were what she liked best, we did go round several shops and try a whole bunch of them. I wouldn't say they were as variable as something like a Gibson, they were pretty much all decent, but some were noticeably nicer than others. Now- I'm in Northern Ireland, which isn't exactly a massive market, so some of those less good examples may have just been sitting in the shop for years (that's what it felt like! Plus the one she decided on was actually one from a few years previously but it just seemed to be excellent regardless) plus a lot of it comes down to setup with acoustics I think. But if you're not able to do the setup yourself or take it to a luthier (which ups the cost) then it's worth bearing in mind.

I do think (based on what I've tried- as I said, I'm much more an electric player so (a) don't have that much experience with acoustics and (b) being an electric player is almost certainly influencing what I like in terms of playability, tone etc.!) if the Dowina is just too much of a risk to buy without trying/just too much over budget then Faith would be very high up my list too (especially since she knows she likes them!). But there are definitely some things I haven't tried at that price point that I would like to try as well, just to be sure. The all-solid Guilds, Corts etc..

EDIT: Just in case you're not aware (you probably are) there are a few different wood choices with the Naked Venuses- you've got the Engelmann Spruce/Indonesian mahogany (and also a black stain version of that one), also the Cedar/Indonesian mahogany, and then an all-Indonesian mahogany version. The spruce is probably the cheapest, but (at least if you shop around) they should presumably be all close enough in price that she should get the one she likes best... if she can get to try them all, of course!

(I keep saying "Indonesian mahogany", because that's what it's specced as. They don't specify "Indonesian" on the more expensive Faiths, which makes me wonder exactly what that "Indonesian Mahogany" actually is... To be honest I kind of suspect it's not "proper" (i.e. Honduran) mahogany even on the dearer ones. They specify "African" (which isn't "genuine" [Honduran] mahogany, but which is probably the closest thing to "genuine" Mahogany available- it's Khaya, an African wood pretty similar to, but not quite, mahogany) on the dearer Legacy models, which makes me think it's not even African Mahogany. What might it be? Sapele? Oukumé? Something else? Your guess is as good as mine (plus it might not even matter anyway). I guess if you really cared you could email Faith...)
  • @Dave_Mc the Faith we tried was a spruce top, mahogany back and sides. Very light coloured, but she seems to be OK with that now.

Next trip will hopefully be somewhere with more second hand stock now we've got more idea what she likes. I think pretty much every guitar we tried today suited her playing style better than my mahogany parlour or 12-string dread though.
    @DartmoorHedgehog ': - no, what I meant is that two Faith Naked Venus can't sound the same. Two Gibson Dove can't. Two Martin HD-28 can't. 

There will alwaysays be a difference in tone, despite the fact that it's two identical Martins or whatever because, for one thing, you can't get identical woods  :) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    @Dave_Mc the Faith we tried was a spruce top, mahogany back and sides. Very light coloured, but she seems to be OK with that now.

Next trip will hopefully be somewhere with more second hand stock now we've got more idea what she likes. I think pretty much every guitar we tried today suited her playing style better than my mahogany parlour or 12-string dread though.
    Yeah the Faiths are very light. The Nakeds might be even more so, I'm not sure, but I think Engelmann might be even paler than Sitka?
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5554
    An excellent trip, @DartmoorHedgehog I'm going to weigh in on the "no two guitars the same" theme with the observations that:

(a) No, no two guitars are the same (certainly not acoustic ones)
    (b) The variation between "identical" guitars is not constant from make to make and model to model. Some makers seem to have the ability to turn out very similar guitars pretty much every time (Taylor, Maton, probably Yamaha, though I haven't played enough Yammies to be so confident about that one) while other makers have a much wider within-model variation (Martin, Cole Clark, probably Gibson though I'm no Gibson expert).

It would be easy to ascribe this to superior quality control, and that's no doubt a part of it, but I think there is more to it than that. Look at Martin as an example: different examples of a given model can vary a lot, but although you might prefer Example A to Example B, neither one is by any means a dud, and I might prefer the other one. Some makes just vary more than other makes do. 

The point here is that there are some guitars I reckon it is safe to buy online (e.g., I've played and liked Taylor 314s and, at a pinch would buy one sight unseen, confident that it would be very like the other 314s I've played) and some I wouldn't (one of these days I'll probably buy a Martin HD-28, but I wouldn't dream of just ordering one, they vary so much. None of them are "bad" guitars, but only one in 5 or 10 has the magic dust in it.

But in the end, playing a few and deciding which one you like the most is half the fun. And doing it together with your daughter is double the fun.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2022
    Tannin said:
    (b) The variation between "identical" guitars is not constant from make to make and model to model. Some makers seem to have the ability to turn out very similar guitars pretty much every time (Taylor, Maton, probably Yamaha, though I haven't played enough Yammies to be so confident about that one) while other makers have a much wider within-model variation (Martin, Cole Clark, probably Gibson though I'm no Gibson expert).
    Even with the amount of Gibson acoustics I've tried (I've tried about 10 I would guess) I would say definitely Gibson. Heck... I've tried two J45s, one was killer, one was meh (at best)! Even if I had only tried those two, the variation was enough that it basically proves the hypothesis...
    edited July 2022
    @Dave_Mc ; - Gibson's quality *does* vary and (in my experience) it's much easier to find a good Martin, say.

But all of that notwithstanding, if you find a good Gibson (and they *are* out there) you've got a great guitar. I know cos I've got one  
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3500
    Mellish said:
    @Dave_Mc ; - Gibson's quality *does* vary and (in my experience) it's much easier to find a good Martin, say.

But all of that notwithstanding, if you find a good Gibson (and they *are* out there) you've got a great guitar. I know cos I've got one  
    That used to be true a while back, but have a look at a few forums Martins have far worse reliability problems now. They make Gibson's QC seem perfect!
    edited July 2022
    @earwighoney ; - I've had six Gibsons over the years and three Martins. 

I mostly found that the Gibsons had better playability. And now, with Martins Re-imagined series, I've given up on 'em - too much wood in the neck for me. 

I think I've found my "dream" guitar anyway so no longer searching  

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3500
    Mellish said:

I mostly found that the Gibsons had better playability. And now, with Martins Re-imagined series, I've given up on 'em - too much wood in the neck for me. 

I think I've found my "dream" guitar anyway so no longer searching  

What's your dream guitar btw?

I spend a bit of time on the USA acoustic forums, and there are quite a few reports of Martins have a lot of issues with binding, and a few new ones requiring neck resets.
    @earwighoney ; - 2021 Gibson Dove mate (cherry sunburst). Just does everything I want it to and rings like a bell :) 
    edited July 2022
    Mellish said:

Yeah absolutely (Gibson).

I haven't really tried enough Martins to know (plus I haven't tried any recently if @earwighoney is correct!). I wasn't super-fussed on the Martins I tried- whether I tried bad ones, or whether I just don't like them, I dunno. Of course... I could try one now and love them.

EDIT: I should probably add I haven't tried any Gibsons recently, either. Maybe slightly more recently than Martin I think. But still about 4-ish years I think.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11484
    Judging by the pasting she's getting in the other thread, you might be able to pick up a Tempest guitar second hand for next to nothing!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5554
    crunchman said:
    Judging by the pasting she's getting in the other thread, you might be able to pick up a Tempest guitar second hand for next to nothing!

Yes. ..... But when?