NGD Takamine AN10

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• PALPAL Frets: 540
    The older Takamine guitars are really good. I use a Takamine EN40C. I don't think about the fact there are no dots on the fingerboard !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5178
    ICBM said:
    I've always liked 80/20 bronze strings on cedar tops - I agree completely with your description of 'soft' compared to spruce, so strings with a brighter top-end seem to suit them better, phosphor bronze can be a bit muddy. I would probably stick with 12s for a dreadnought, although 11s aren't actually that much lighter and usually sound fine.

As usual I would give Newtone a try - Masterclass 80/20 bronze 12-52.
    I’ve just fitted a set of the Newtone 80/20 bronze 12-52’s on my Cedar-Rosewood Takamine as I was clueless on what to go for….I’m a very happy bunny!

Thanks @ICBM ; 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72539
    edited July 2022
    Glad to help . I haven't tried every type of strings with every type of guitar by a long way, but this is one combination that stands out as working well whenever I have.

Just be aware that 80/20s have a shorter 'bright' life than phosphor bronze so you may need to replace them a bit more often - but Newtones seem to last longer than most.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    Lovely guitar. 

I have the AN15, which has a scratchplate and a bit more gloss finish than yours seems to have. Rosewood back and sides. Deffo a keeper. 

Some great advice re strings and the cedar top in this thread. Will follow the advice. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2362
    tone1 said:
    ICBM said:
    I've always liked 80/20 bronze strings on cedar tops - I agree completely with your description of 'soft' compared to spruce, so strings with a brighter top-end seem to suit them better, phosphor bronze can be a bit muddy. I would probably stick with 12s for a dreadnought, although 11s aren't actually that much lighter and usually sound fine.

As usual I would give Newtone a try - Masterclass 80/20 bronze 12-52.
    I’ve just fitted a set of the Newtone 80/20 bronze 12-52’s on my Cedar-Rosewood Takamine as I was clueless on what to go for….I’m a very happy bunny!

Thanks @ICBM ; 
    Nice, I'll keep that in mind for my cedar Dowina :) Glad you like them  =)