Recommend me a new acoustic please!

What's Hot

Comments

• WistmanWistman Frets: 17
    bertie said:

which edge ? north ? Bowermans Nose, Hairy Hands, Lady Howard, Hound Tor 

Close to Blackingstone Rock if you want a rocky geographical location!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2022

thomasw88 said:

I sold my Taylor 414 when I got the Simon and Patrick and I haven’t missed it at all.

also, what about Yamaha they do some very nice acoustics 
    I hadn’t looked at S&P before, interesting... seems to be from the same stable as Seagulls. The standard spruce S6 seemed lacking something for me. Could just be bad demoes to be honest. However, cedar S&P dreads are available as lefties currently - a Woodland Cedar Dreadnought would be about £420, sounds quite good from the demoes on the Youtubes... though not sure it's as suitable for heavy strumming... anyone had any experience with this model?

Andy79 said:
    Sounds to me like you need a used J45
    A used J45 lefty keeps going round and round on Ebay for £1900 - that’s rather more than I want to drop on a used guitar at present. Maybe one day...
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3497
    You should send @gtc a PM. He's had a few Right handed acoustics converted to right handed guitars and he's been pleased with the results.

That could potentially open up your search a little.
  • GTCGTC Frets: 266
    You should send @gtc a PM. He's had a few Right handed acoustics converted to right handed guitars and he's been pleased with the results.

Did I feel my ears burning? I have a beautiful nearly new Blueridge BR-371 for sale in the LH classifieds - properly converted from RH by Glastonbury -based luthier Alan Miller. 00-size - and comparable in build quality, tone and performance to a  corresponding Martin V-series. I'm in Somerset - an easy 5-mins from M5 J23. PM me if you need any details or other advice.
    GTC said:

Did I feel my ears burning? I have a beautiful nearly new Blueridge BR-371 for sale in the LH classifieds - properly converted from RH by Glastonbury -based luthier Alan Miller. 00-size - and comparable in build quality, tone and performance to a  corresponding Martin V-series. I'm in Somerset - an easy 5-mins from M5 J23. PM me if you need any details or other advice.

Very nice, I did already see it - sadly it's not what I'm looking for at the moment at all, being a small-bodied parlour!
    No problem - I didn't read your requirements before posting, just saw the reference to me. Have you tried Reverb? I had a quick look and came across this one which appears it could fit the bill - https://reverb.com/uk/item/55097134-lakewood-d1-1990s-acoustic . Lakewood guitars are generally beautifully made in Germany - all solid woods and very well-appointed. However, their second-hand value doesn't seem to hold as well as the better known brands. At £500, you could be getting a heck of a lot of guitar for your money here.

FYI - Project Music in Exeter are (or at least, used to be) a Lakewood dealer.

Hope this helps.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    GTC said:
    No problem - I didn't read your requirements before posting, just saw the reference to me. Have you tried Reverb? I had a quick look and came across this one which appears it could fit the bill - https://reverb.com/uk/item/55097134-lakewood-d1-1990s-acoustic . Lakewood guitars are generally beautifully made in Germany - all solid woods and very well-appointed. However, their second-hand value doesn't seem to hold as well as the better known brands. At £500, you could be getting a heck of a lot of guitar for your money here.

FYI - Project Music in Exeter are (or at least, used to be) a Lakewood dealer.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the heads up! I hadn't had a proper browse of Reverb in this particular quest, because my past experience of that site is that everything seems horrendously overpriced usually... however, I will do some research on that lakewood and think about it! Cheers again for the tip :)
    GTC said:

Well, that guitar seemed perfect for me - though very hard to find much info on the internet, beyond a couple of phone camera Youtube videos and some conversations in German... anyway, I submitted an offer and it was accepted, so the guitar will be on its way to me this coming week! I'm really looking forward to trying it out. I like how plain and workmanlike it looks, just a no-nonsense dread with high quality materials and solid woods assembled in Germany :)
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    @Wistman ;
    ah close to Moreton,   so - did you go to Chagstock this w/e ? 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    bertie said:
    @Wistman ;
    ah close to Moreton,   so - did you go to Chagstock this w/e ? 
    I did not, could hear a tiny bit on the breeze though! Am still a little wary of big gatherings of people to be honest, a few folks I know locally have caught covid recently and I’ve somehow avoided it so far...
    Wistman said:
    GTC said:

Well, that guitar seemed perfect for me - though very hard to find much info on the internet, beyond a couple of phone camera Youtube videos and some conversations in German... anyway, I submitted an offer and it was accepted, so the guitar will be on its way to me this coming week! I'm really looking forward to trying it out. I like how plain and workmanlike it looks, just a no-nonsense dread with high quality materials and solid woods assembled in Germany :)
    That's great. Let me know how you get on with it, if you can. I've bought quite a few guitars through Reverb (UK and International) and have come across instruments at good prices that you wouldn't normally find on eBay or Gumtree. As I said, on the Blueridge listing, I mainly play classicals nowadays. However, a couple of years ago I came across a beautiful and really unusually shaped left-handed Baden dread which I couldn't resist. After a few pleasurable months with it I sold it on to a delighted buyer from Dorset.

BTW - I think you'll find that the fretboard on your new Lakewood is ebony - and not rosewood as it says in the listing (which, in my view, makes it even better). 
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 236
    @Wistman glad you found what looks like a really nice guitar. The folks on here are really helpful!  :)
    GTC said:

That's great. Let me know how you get on with it, if you can. I've bought quite a few guitars through Reverb (UK and International) and have come across instruments at good prices that you wouldn't normally find on eBay or Gumtree. As I said, on the Blueridge listing, I mainly play classicals nowadays. However, a couple of years ago I came across a beautiful and really unusually shaped left-handed Baden dread which I couldn't resist. After a few pleasurable months with it I sold it on to a delighted buyer from Dorset.

BTW - I think you'll find that the fretboard on your new Lakewood is ebony - and not rosewood as it says in the listing (which, in my view, makes it even better). 
    Thanks, I’ll definitely make a post on here about it once I have it in my grubby mitts! Yeah, Lakewood seem to keep all the specs on their site, I clocked ebony fretboard there too.
    good call on the Lakewood
    edited July 2022
    Now I’m thinking about whether to add a strap button or not, since I mostly play standing... I will probably add a teardrop guard for sure, as I know my strumming will scuff up that open pore satin top in no time otherwise!
    im waiting for a maker to do an OM with a concave  back for me belly,  for sitting and picking  ;) 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5481
    Good idea @bertie While they are at it, I reckon the string manufacturers need to bring in a special set for lazy old buggers with a tendency to thrash a bit. These would be 13s at the bridge, tapering to 9s over the fingerboard. :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2022
    bertie said:
    im waiting for a maker to do an OM with a concave  back for me belly,  for sitting and picking   
    I’m skinny still, so I’ll take a roundback to fill out the gap ;)
    you can go off people..................................................................

=)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom