antidisestablishmentguitarianism

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 7351
    Nothing worse than a tight "skin-thing on the front", however there is a cure for that :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    ^ yes. They're brackets. You can buy a bracket wrench/drum key to adjust the tension.
    MAJOR YAWN ALERT..... 

The tone of a banjo is directly connected to the head (that circular skin thing).
    However, it must be even tension all the way around or poor tone. 
    Simple? No, it isn't ; in fact, it's a dangerous sport. But if you have a bit of brave in you, a bit of daring, you can go ahead and try it :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @merlin ; I'd expect a magician to find a better use for it ;) 
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    MSedg said:
    , could I put myself forward for consideration? 
    so how are you getting on with them ? 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • MSedgMSedg Frets: 120
    @bertie thanks again for these - funny enough they arrived about 10 mins ago. So far excellent, the mediums actually fit me perfectly without needing any adjustment, so @Neilybob can have some large ones on me. In the spirit of the thing, I’m going to include some surprise picks that I’ve tried but weren’t for me. Maybe we can start some sort of pass the parcel of picks thing.

Neilybob if you PM me your details I’ll try and get them sent this weekend.
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 794
    MSedg said:
    @bertie thanks again for these - funny enough they arrived about 10 mins ago. So far excellent, the mediums actually fit me perfectly without needing any adjustment, so @Neilybob can have some large ones on me. In the spirit of the thing, I’m going to include some surprise picks that I’ve tried but weren’t for me. Maybe we can start some sort of pass the parcel of picks thing.

Neilybob if you PM me your details I’ll try and get them sent this weekend.
    Superb! PM heading your way.
    MSedg said:
    @bertie thanks again for these - funny enough they arrived about 10 mins ago. 
    f*ck me,  they were posted on the 10th, must've been the xmas stamps  =)
    At last, someone else who likes FK Speedpicks.

I said they were good but no =) 
  • MSedgMSedg Frets: 120
    I think my postman’s a keen guitarist, my post seems to take ages when it’s strings/picks. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    obviously a first class male
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 237
    +1 for FK speedpicks. Best I've come across.  :)
    now Ive discovered EB have stopped doing the tort thumb pick......................  another quest then................. 
    @bertie ; if you really liked 'em, maybe worth asking if any on here have any spare. You never know :) 
    @bertie ; Strings Direct have a shell plastic thumbpick in large plus matching fingerpicks
    Jim Dunlop £6.99 :) 

@Mellish ;
     thanks mate - Ive got a couple JDs  hanging around somewhere - they dont fit quite  as well as the old EB.....................

Im the same with food,  find something I really like,  then Tesco/Sans/supermarket of your choice  stop doing it 

meh

edited August 2022
    @bertie ; according to gigging friends, the National range of thumbpicks is worth considering

Know exactly what you mean re food. The exact same thing happens to me =) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    But thumbpick-wise, if it was me, I'd be trying Graph Tech tusq. You can get "Bright", "Deep", "Warm" so you can choose whichever suits :) 
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5502
    bertie said:

Im the same with food,  find something I really like,  then Tesco/Sans/supermarket of your choice  stop doing it 

And ain't that the bloody truth! Mrs Tannin and I drink Rakia, which is a Croatian spirit made from grapes. (Or pears, or green walnuts, or almost anything.) The only place in the whole of Tasmania which stocks it is the Dan Murphys in Hobart. (Dan Murphy is a gigantic national liquor barn chain which has these huge sheds filled with every sort of grog you could possibly imagine.)

Anyway, first the bastards moved it - and it's no joke finding something in Dan Murphys, the places are enormous, and the staff didn't know where it was anymore either. But we got that sorted. Now the bastards have discontinued it. So, seeing as I am in Ballarat this week (that's in Victoria, or about as far north of home in the Huon Valley as London is west of Copenhagen) I thought I'd see if they had any left ion the Ballarat store. Look it up online, no worries, though their stupid website seemed to have the price wrong. Went into  the shop .... and looked and looked and looked. Looked at every bloody bottle in the entire spirits section. The staff couldn't find it either. Eventually we tracked it down to a completely different part of the store where they keep short-term specials. And the price on-line wasn't wrong. They really were throwing it out for $42 a bottle. (It is normally $65.) So I bought 10 bottles. Then I went to the Delacombe store (a different suburb of Ballarat) and bought another half-dozen at the bargain price. 

Next time we buy rakia, it will have to be by mail order. But it might take us more than a few days to drink the ones we have got.:)

Anyway, I can tell you that as of yesterday there is no more rakia to be had anywhere in Ballarat - 'cause I bought the bloody lot!

(Just as well I'm taking the car ferry home - I'd never get all those bottles into my carry-on luggage if I was flying.)