Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Chatty audience

What's Hot
roundthebendroundthebend Frets: 1137
I was at a gig last week. I didn't know the band but they played Reading/Leeds a few days later and this was a warm up show promoted by the Music Venues Trust (MVT) and I liked what I heard online so thought I'd give them a go.

About half way into a fairly rocking set they slowed it down and the singer started a mellow song intro on his own. After about 2 lines he stopped and said "Could you guys shut the fuck up" to a couple that were loudly chatting to each other to the side of the crowd. It wasn't a big crowd so it was obvious who it was aimed at. They duly shut the fuck up and then walked out, probably embarrassed.

I thought the singer was a bit of an arrogant twat before that anyway, but I really didn't like his style. It seemed aggressive and, whilst I get the sentiment, I do feel that there are better ways to deal with it. I also think it is the band's job to capture the audience, they don't have a god given right to be listened to.

I remember going to see Mark Morriss of The Bluetones some years ago, playing an acoustic gig locally. My wife and my sister were chatting loudly and he paused then made a little quip, something like "sorry guys, didn't realise you were still talking, it's OK I'll wait". He's renowned for his humour, and we've chatted to him several times after gigs so knew it was a fun jibe. It dealt with the situation and added a bit of humour to it.

What's cool? Should a band act like the one last week, or more like Mark Morriss? Or even just play through and ignore it.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Mark Morriss might not be the best person to use as an example of how to conduct yourself respectfully towards others…

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 1133
    I agree that the singer you mentioned handled that badly. There's a difference between learning to play a song, and learning how to work an audience and put on a good show. If the punters have paid, then they are your customers, and should be treated accordingly.
  • Mark Morriss might not be the best person to use as an example of how to conduct yourself respectfully towards others…
    Whilst I agree, that isn't particularly relevant here since I was being specific about how he acted and why I think it was good. Just because some of his behaviour is questionable, or even plain wrong, doesn't mean we have to overlook when he does things well.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24337
    I agree that the singer you mentioned handled that badly. There's a difference between learning to play a song, and learning how to work an audience and put on a good show. If the punters have paid, then they are your customers, and should be treated accordingly.
    Unless 1 or 2 customers are ruining it for all the other customers of course.

My general view is that if they can talk - the band is too quiet! :D 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • I agree that the singer you mentioned handled that badly. There's a difference between learning to play a song, and learning how to work an audience and put on a good show. If the punters have paid, then they are your customers, and should be treated accordingly.
    Unless 1 or 2 customers are ruining it for all the other customers of course.

My general view is that if they can talk - the band is too quiet! :D 
    I think that's why I liked Mark Morriss' approach. He apologised for ruining the conversation with his playing. In a similar position I might ask the people what they are talking about, and then ask the audience to vote on whether they'd rather hear the song or the conversation. Not in a passive aggressive way either, in a genuine way. There's likely only one answer (the song) but if they prefer to hear the conversation, I'll take that as feedback that I need to improve the performance somehow.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28358
    I think the singer sounds remarkably restrained. Two remarkably rude people spoiling the experience for everyone. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6690
    I was doing a trio gig with a bassist and a pianist once. Someone answered their phone and said loudly and very audibly "I can't talk now I'm at a gig". 

I immediately turned the words of the tune we were playing and sang

"he can't talk now he's at a fucking gig, 
    he's at a fucking gig, 
    he's at a fucking gig, 
    he can't talk now he's at a fucking gig,
    and he can shove his fucking phone up his arse". 

Audience went ballistic, guy bought me a pint, I got more hugs and hand-shakes off audience members after that gig than ever before or since. 

10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6871
    Sporky said:
    I think the singer sounds remarkably restrained. Two remarkably rude people spoiling the experience for everyone. 
    Totally agree - people talking at gigs should be kicked out. Stop spoiling it for others you selfish twats!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27078
    @merlin that's excellent :D 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5382
    Context is everything as to whether "STFU" is inspired or counterproductive, really. 

For any paid entrance gig, though, I neve understand why people chat away. I've been at Wembley Arena gigs where people have solid conversations all night, and just think what the hell are they doing? Why pay the money for an arena gig, for a loud-ish rock band (Black Stone Cherry was memorable for it). Just to shout at your mate all night. Fuck off to a bar if you want to catch up. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7269
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    BillDL said:
    I was just going to post that!
    I used to have this problem a lot when I was doing magic shows - especially for kids.

The parents would be really loud at the back and ruin it for the kids. It was even worse if it was a small party and I didn't take a PA.

One of the best things to do is to ask the parents if they wanted to ruin the birthday child's party. 
    Or tell the kids that I will be expecting them to be really loud when I need them to be and get the kids to drown them out.

I did start taking a little PA to every show and it made a massive difference.

But I also (eventually) started every show by asking everyone to refrain from chatting during it, or even better come and sit with their kids for the show because they will want to share the experience with them.

Then I'd pick on a couple of adults to be the stooge in a trick, making the kid look clever and the adult look thick. The kids loved it. Most of the adults were happy to go along with it.

The occasional arsehole was easily dealt with... "Hey kids, why are we here" (Jim's birthday) "Do we want this to be the best birthday he ever has?" (YEEEEESSSSSSS). "Do we want anyone to ruin it for Jim?" (NOOOOOOO)

Combined with a stare at the arsehole and a raised eyebrow did the trick.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6690
    I also did a street theatre show at the International Garden Festival in Liverpool with a friend, a kind of clown/circus show way back in 1984. I'd been working and living up there for a while so I knew my crowd. It was outside the Britannia Inn on the waterfront and part of the show was the first 5 minutes or so setting up and looking at our watches repeatedly. There were about 250 people there waiting for us to begin. So we went behind our screen and came out at the start of the show, smoking cigars and looking at our watches.... and there was a group of 10 or so scally teenagers heckling us the whole time.

One of them yelled "what time is it mate? "
    I said back calmly, "time you bugger off". 

Again, 250 very entertained scousers falling into laughter and applause. 

The scallies buggered off pronto. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    merlin said:
    I was doing a trio gig with a bassist and a pianist once. Someone answered their phone and said loudly and very audibly "I can't talk now I'm at a gig". 

I immediately turned the words of the tune we were playing and sang

"he can't talk now he's at a fucking gig, 
    he's at a fucking gig, 
    he's at a fucking gig, 
    he can't talk now he's at a fucking gig,
    and he can shove his fucking phone up his arse". 

Audience went ballistic, guy bought me a pint, I got more hugs and hand-shakes off audience members after that gig than ever before or since. 

You are my hero!!!!!!!!!!
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    As with most people, I DETEST twats talking through gigs. I would love to see such people thrown out on their arse by security. I have no problem at all with the original post response, I think that 99.9% of gigs the audience would cheer if that happened.  

I was at a Fish gig a few years ago, between songs he was pouring out his heart over the death of an old friend and people just kept talking at the back, he asked them to stop and they just continued. He got really pissed off and it rather spoiled the gig at the time. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FWIW the crowd at this gig didn't react in any notable way, unless staying quiet and pretending nothing weird just happened is notable.

I think the guy misjudged his crowd. That's some craft he could do with learning. I hadn't warmed to him or the band really - too much showing off for my liking.
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7269
    Had the audience paid to get in, or had the band been booked to play at a small venue that maybe doesn't normally host bands and is actually the "local" of some of the audience members?
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    Back in the dim and distant past when I ran a singer-songwriter night we used to get all sorts of audiences because it was free to get in. One night a whole bunch of foreign language students came in and sat at the front talking all the way through. One of the acts dealt with it brilliantly. He unplugged his guitar and came and sat on the front of the stage playing very quietly and singing without a mic, so that no-one could hear him at all unless everyone shut up. To my surprise it worked a treat. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 959
    I was playing a solo acoustic set one time in a small bar. There were two lads sat at a table just of to the side of the low stage, talking constantly through the first three songs. Not really loud, but just non stop. I could hear every word, and one of them was basically consoling the other about his relationship problems. Pretty sure the rest of the audience were hearing it too. 

I tried to ignore it and concentrate on the gig. Towards the end of the set they both got up to leave in between songs. On mic in front of everyone, i said to the guy with the relationship issues, 'Mate, if I were you I'd dump her, I don't think she respects you and maybe you're not right for each other, eh'. They both looked pretty freaked out. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom