Soundhole pickups

What's Hot
thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2332
edited September 2022 in Acoustics
Just bought a 1990s Yamaha ld10. It’s very nice.

That means I now have  3 giggable acoustics,  I’m keen to get a pickup for the yam.

Over the last 10years or so I’ve used Soundhole pickups (lr baggs m80, and takemine triax (rebadged lr baggs m1a,) plugged either direct to di box or via my acoustic amp to pa.

So question is, is anything better than the m80 in the Soundhole pickup world?  Or anything comparable that’s a bit cheaper..

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Don't know the answer to the question but I have a Fishman sound hole humbucker I got for a guitar that never arrived. I'd settle for £60.00 posted 2nd class.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72545
    I prefer the Fishman Rare Earth (original active one), but the passive humbucking one is OK too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 238
    I have an LR Baggs m1a active which has adjustable pole pieces and a volume wheel. Not cheap but I do like it. (Never felt the need to adjust the pole pieces).

Also have a Fishman Rare Earth single coil pickup, which has no volume control but a really good sound. I've never had feedback issues but the Baggs is the one that gets the most use. The Fishman was a bit cheaper than the Baggs.
    Would happily recommend both.
     :) 
  • Don't know the answer to the question but I have a Fishman sound hole humbucker I got for a guitar that never arrived. I'd settle for £60.00 posted 2nd class.
    What model of fishman is it?
  • GandalphGandalph Frets: 1592
    My vote would probably go to the M80 but there are plenty of decent options around nowadays.

I recently reacquired my Waterloo WLK (initially sold to a very pleasant fellow forum member then traded back). They'd since fitted a Dimarzio black angel and I've been really impressed with it. Comes in a good few quid cheaper than the M80 too.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I believe it to be a Fishman Neo-D02 Humbucker Soundhole Pickup. Does that help?
  • I believe it to be a Fishman Neo-D02 Humbucker Soundhole Pickup. Does that help?
    Not for me but thanks for the offer.
  • I use a Schertler Ag6 pickup. Expensive but I've found it sounds very good, and you can add a second source (small mic or second pickup). I've always found the Fishman products very good in general though as well. 
  • ICBM said:
    I prefer the Fishman Rare Earth (original active one), but the passive humbucking one is OK too.
    do you mean this one?
    https://www.fishman.com/portfolio/rare-earth-magnetic-soundhole-pickup/

Have you played both the LR Baggs M80 & M1A?  From looking at the specs the rare earth is in the same price bracket as the M1a.

• I too use the Schertler AG6 pickup (was actually @Supportact that recommended them to me). I also use the S-mic which is a small condenser mic to plug into the pickup to blend in. It makes a huge difference, even if you use 10% it sounds more natural and you get that natural air sound. Very easy to install and works great, had it for almost a year now. Swiss made and I don't think there's any distributors in the UK though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • There was a guy who used to come to an open mic I regularly attended with a cheap Artec sound hole pickup. It was a real surprise to me that his sound was among the best of all the attendees. It seems unfair to compare sound hole and piezo, so I'll say that his sound was better than some of the Fishman Rare Earth-equipped performers. 

• thomasw88 said:
    ICBM said:
    do you mean this one?
    https://www.fishman.com/portfolio/rare-earth-magnetic-soundhole-pickup/

Have you played both the LR Baggs M80 & M1A?  From looking at the specs the rare earth is in the same price bracket as the M1a.

That looks like the one and it's the only one I've ever used.
    thomasw88 said:

do you mean this one?
    Yes. I prefer the single-coil one for sound, but the humbucking one is (unsurprisingly!) quieter.

thomasw88 said:

Yes - I owned a M1A for a while, and have played the M80. I prefer the Fishman (either version), the sound is cleaner and clearer - the M1A is more midrangy, and more prone to feedback, although still not very.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I use a Sunrise. Doesn't much resemble the acoustic sound but it sounds good and is consistent.
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 238
    Just been to a buskers. A couple of people commented on how good the single coil Fishman Rare Earth sounded. (I use a thumb pick & a finger or two).

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3595
    I use the fishman rare earth humbucker and built in condenser mic. The blend is just a little mic for air and crispness.
    I do like to run my acoustics through a Mesa Rosetta analogue DI if I’m unsure of the PA or engineer, that way I can pre set the tone before it gets butchered. 
    It can get quite loud with decent monitoring before feedback starts to raise itself.
  • shufflebeatshufflebeat Frets: 105
    edited September 2022
    I'm not a fan of magnetic pickups in acoustic guitars but I do like to keep abreast of the discussion and hear nice things being said about the Monotone offering at a similar price to the Bags m1a:

https://www.mojotone.com/pickups/acoustic-pickups?page=1

I have an m1a in a box somewhere but I hear more love for the m80, which you already have.
    I'm not a fan of magnetic pickups in acoustic guitars
    I’m slightly unusual in my requirement in that I want to use a magnetic pickup for a deliberately more ‘electric’ sound as well as sounding like an acoustic, including with overdrive sometimes, so feedback resistance is a major priority. I still want it to sound like an overdriven acoustic though, if that makes sense - if it’s too much like an electric you may as well use an electric guitar!

I probably should have bought an old J-160E before they became silly money.

• I'm not a fan of magnetic pickups in acoustic guitars but I do like to keep abreast of the discussion and hear nice things being said about the Monotone offering at a similar price to the Bags m1a:

https://www.mojotone.com/pickups/acoustic-pickups?page=1

I have an m1a in a box somewhere but I hear more love for the m80, which you already have.
    For me the main advantage is that they are much more resistant to feedback.

I've had various guitars/pickup system over the years, but always struggled in a band situation with acoustics.   I just found personally that using the m80 with an acoustic amp into the pa a)sounds great and b) doesn't get feedback.  One less thing to worry about.  If I was playing in an acoustic band or backing a singer etc then might be different.

Will check out the monotone although I'm thinking of just putting in a jack socket into the LD10 and then being able to swap the M80 between a couple of guitars) it is a ballache moving the LR baggs between guitars  but it's not something I'd do that often.
  • Depends for me. If i know I've got plenty of time for a proper soundcheck, i know the venue, i know the engineer etc, then I'll use an undersaddle pickup with a Fishman Aura Spectrum pedal and an eq. But that can sound worse through different PAs/different rooms etc and can take a while to dial in.

The soundhole pickup i use for other occasions (most of them) because I know I can get a good usable sound with minimal faff, and less chance of feedback. Which is all i need really.