Yamaha LS6 ARE

What's Hot
I've seen that these and a number of other Yamaha acoustics are on sale at Peach at the moment and I am strongly considering picking one up. Does anyone have any experience with them? I can't find much first hand experience on the web. From what I have read, Yamaha seem to be good value for money in the acoustic world and produce some high quality instruments.

I am predominately an electric player so am looking at the smaller bodied LS6. My only other experience with acoustics, other than having a go on a friends Taylor 214ce is an old hand me down D28 copy from about 30 years ago which I don't really get on with.

The only thing putting me off slightly is the long scale length. I am a Fender guy so 25.5 is comfortable but the Yamaha is longer still. This combined with what I am guessing a more traditional chunkier neck could be a bit of a stretch. Then again I am not going to be replicating my electric playing on it. 

Unfortunately I am too far away to try one in person and my local shops aren't Yamaha stockists.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TanninTannin Frets: 5463
    The scale length difference is miniscule. It's 3mm longer than a Fender, little more than a rounding error. 

I haven't played one but Yamaha seldom do too much wrong. If I was looking for a guitar in that class and I needed to buy sight unseen, would I consider this model? Yes, absolutely. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    I had a Yamaha acoustic in the dim and distant past.

Can't recall the model but I got on OK with it. And the brand has its supporters on here. Try a few out. 

:) 
  • I've got a LL6 (co-incidentally bought from Peach - unseen/ untried - and actually currently up for sale) and it's a lovely guitar. Really well built and lovely to play. I don't find the neck size off-putting...yes, it's slightly bigger but nothing weird or uncomfortable, and I'm mainly an electric player (only reason I'm selling it - it doesn't get used!). It sounds great plugged in though the lack of on board pre-amp controls confuses me sometimes - I'd recommend one
  • Thanks all, good to hear some positive things, particularly about the L series. I think I'll give one a go!
  • You could save yourself some money and buy my AC3R on the acoustics£ part of the website?
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 1113
    edited September 2022
    They are great guitars.

I have an LL16 ARE which has a solid back and sides. Apart from that it's pretty much the same guitar.

The neck is rather chunky which may or may not be to your taste. The scale length is, for all intents and purposes, standard. It's actually a more "compliant" feeling guitar than my Martin D-16GT.

All of that said, if I were looking for such a guitar right now, I'd seriously be considering @TheMadMick 's AC3R.

You really can't go wrong with a Yamaha.
  • I bought a Yamaha about 12 months ago now, and it is the best acoustic I’ve owned. It is an AC3R, all solid rosewood back and sides, solid spruce top. It was perfectly set up out the box, no dodgy frets or anything like that. I absolutely love it, it just sings.  I’ll second big @BigPaulie ;comment and say @TheMadMick AC3R is a steal and we’ll worth considering.
  • BigPaulie said:
    They are great guitars.

I have an LL16 which has a solid back and sides. Apart from that it's pretty much the same guitar.

The neck is rather chunky which may or may not be to your taste. The scale length is, for all intents and purposes, standard. It's actually a more "compliant" feeling guitar than my Martin D-16GT.

All of that said, if I were looking for such a guitar right now, I'd seriously be considering @TheMadMick 's AC3R.

I am surprised that you've described the neck as 'chunky' as I've heard most owners describe them as on the narrow side.
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 234
    @guitarjack66 ; I'd assume 'chunky' referred to the neck profile, and 'narrow' to the nut width?
    The one or two Yammies I've tried seemed a bit narrow at the nut for me, otherwise very good instruments.  :)
  • Soupman said:
    @guitarjack66 ; I'd assume 'chunky' referred to the neck profile, and 'narrow' to the nut width?
    The one or two Yammies I've tried seemed a bit narrow at the nut for me, otherwise very good instruments.  :)
    Yes,most likely. I'm of the same opinion. I'd love to own a decent one but I dont feel I'd get on with the nut width and neck itself,
  • The nut on the LL16 ARE is 1 3/4" or 44mm. I've not measured the depth, but it is visibly significantly deeper than the Martin modified low oval profile.

The nut of my Martin by comparison is 1 11/16" or 43mm.
  • You could save yourself some money and buy my AC3R on the acoustics£ part of the website?
    Very nice, I hadn't previously spotted that. Now I am torn as I am really not a fan of cutaway acoustics. Not sure why, but aesthetically they don't look quite right somehow and as we all know part of guitar ownership is sitting there admiring them.  ;)

It would be very silly of me not to consider the AC3R however, especially considering the spec to price ratio. I'll have a ponder.

Thanks for all of the replies so far. Sounds like there are a lot of happy Yamaha owners
  • I had an LL6T, it was excellent.  It's true the current L series do have a bit of heft in the neck, it's a 44mm nut width and certainly more of a chunk than my LL-500 and LA-8.  In no way an uncomfortable neck profile, never an issue to me.  Yamaha's consistency in build is also legendary, I'd happily buy sight unseen/unplayed.
    2008 Martin 000-15
     2004 Yamaha LL-500
    1995 Yamaha LA-8
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1297
    BigPaulie said:

Exactly. I used to own an A3R, sweet sounding guitar, plugged in, unplugged, miked up - it just delivered in every situation. Got a Taylor 114ce now and I'm looking to go back to where I was, either same model or also considering the ls6 and possibly ll6, both great guitars. 

• bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    so what marketing witchcraft is this ARE process ?  
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5426
    bertie said:
    It’s basically torrefaction/“roasting”. Yamaha has their own proprietary process for it, apparently. 
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    Whitecat said:
    bertie said:
    It’s basically torrefaction/“roasting”. Yamaha has their own proprietary process for it, apparently. 
    ah right,  nothing to see here then............................................. I'll move along
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1278
    Can’t go wrong with Yamaha, can’t go wrong with Peach. Win win! 
    I played an LL6 in Yamaha in London and it was a great guitar - certainly better than the price would suggest. 
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2041
    Not played a 6 series but own an LL26 and not been tempted by another acoustic since purchase.  It really does take the fight to anything from the other big names.  I played some £6k-£10k Martin Custom Shops at Guitar Guitar the other day, and while their retro-inspired cosmetics were stunning, the playing was not notably better, and possibly less rewarding, than my Yamaha.

The Chinese LLs have a very similar appearance to the top-end Japanese ones - the tops look superb, with some lovely subtle flame on some.  Clearly whoever is in charge of producing these knows what they're doing.

I really like the look of the sunburst LSs, and Peach give you the choice of tops, although some of the nicest ones have sold.  For instance...

Personally I'm a dreadnought guy, so I'm very tempted by the LLs, please can I have this one?!

• Not played a 6 series but own an LL26 and not been tempted by another acoustic since purchase.  It really does take the fight to anything from the other big names.  I played some £6k-£10k Martin Custom Shops at Guitar Guitar the other day, and while their retro-inspired cosmetics were stunning, the playing was not notably better, and possibly less rewarding, than my Yamaha.

The Chinese LLs have a very similar appearance to the top-end Japanese ones - the tops look superb, with some lovely subtle flame on some.  Clearly whoever is in charge of producing these knows what they're doing.

I really like the look of the sunburst LSs, and Peach give you the choice of tops, although some of the nicest ones have sold.  For instance...

Personally I'm a dreadnought guy, so I'm very tempted by the LLs, please can I have this one?!

Yes they do seem to be some stunning examples (visually) on Peach. I felt exactly the same about the example you posted but I think they only have a couple of sunburst ones left now and they aren't as pretty as that one.