Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Advice on ebay sale - (for my protection)

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27610
    blueskunk said:
    True say i guess , who does specific instrument stuff and what sort of prices?

APC - I believe - no idea what their prices are though.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • the odd thing is that online stores send out their guitars by post (with gig bags etc). so who do they use
    the odd thing is that online stores send out their guitars by post (with gig bags etc). so who do they use
    Being commercial organisation, they might have negotiated different cover with the courier.  Alternatively (and more likely), they just self-insure - ie they bear the risk of something getting broken in transit themselves.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • http://www.interparcel.com/quote/prohibited_popup.php

here is the list of prohibited items on interparcel - nothing these about guitars
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22944
    The problem - OK, one of the problems - with sending items "fully insured" is that full cover, if you can get it, is bloody expensive.  

eBay buyers always say they want full cover but they are not prepared to pay for it.  So, do you cover the cost yourself or just make sure the thing is really well packed and just risk it?
  • GIJoeGIJoe Frets: 213
    Philly_Q said:
    The problem - OK, one of the problems - with sending items "fully insured" is that full cover, if you can get it, is bloody expensive.  

eBay buyers always say they want full cover but they are not prepared to pay for it.  So, do you cover the cost yourself or just make sure the thing is really well packed and just risk it?
    I don't think it is that bad  (yes why should I pay more so you safely deliver what I am paying you to deliver), about £25 is more than enough to send and insure something like a guitar (about £500 cover I think).

I once sold a Kenwood mixer with lots of attachments.  I paid for cover up to £150.  Of course when it arrived one of the glass jugs had cracked, (which might have been my fault for not packing it well enough!).  Interpacel had no problem refunding me £50 + refunded the cost of posting too.

"Nobody is really researching robot jokes"

• rossirossi Frets: 1703
    edited September 2014
    If you are sending without  a  hard case or box tape a plank of wood a bit longer than the whole guitar. to the outer packaging .That will take the brunt of a head on .You could also ask a guitar shop for a box .They have loads going spare .I use TNT  via interparcel usually
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    here is the list of prohibited items on interparcel - nothing these about guitars
    Prohibited isn't the same as uninsured.

Prohibited just means that you're not allowed to send any of those things - for fairly obvious reasons in most cases.

The things that you are allowed to send then need insurance cover if you want someone else to bear the cost of any loss or damage.  It can be an allowed item, but uninsurable (see ParcelFarce's t&cs.).
  •  i can not see anything about guitars on interparcels site
  • I'm thinking about selling my Torero on ebay after little interest on gumtree... used to ship guitars in a hard case and then a cardboard box around that (with padding inside) - the cost for shipping could be quite high... but now I don't have a hard case to ship with it, so wondering what I should do! Right pain in the backside!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    Find a good local shop which takes agency sales. No shipping hassles, no Ebay fees, no dodgy characters round your house... might take a bit of time but you'll most likely get at least as good a price even after commission, too.

If you're in Edinburgh, try Scayles/Live Music - I think they still do.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• @ICBM- they do indeed. I peer into their window most mornings on the way to work just in case a bargain has appeared! 

Another option is to simply ask nicely in your local guitar shop. 
    Red Dog Music (also in Edinburgh) will ship your guitar, using their own courier account for the princely sum of £20. I've only done it twice, both were in hard cases, but I've not had a single issue.

• right i have double boxed this guitar, wrapped miles of bubble wrap over it - damm thing bounces when dropped. If they break this then they must have tried very very hard.
  • GIJoe said:
    Philly_Q said:

I once sold a Kenwood mixer with lots of attachments.  I paid for cover up to £150.  Of course when it arrived one of the glass jugs had cracked, (which might have been my fault for not packing it well enough!).  Interpacel had no problem refunding me £50 + refunded the cost of posting too.

I immediatly thought you meant a DJ mixer lol, and was then confused by glass jug.....
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12364
    Take the neck off and bubble wrap the neck and body seperately, bubble wrap again and then double box, Go on interparcel and send via UPS. They aren't perfect but they are the best I've used by miles, never failed on next day delivery.

ParcelFarce on the other hand took my money for guaranteed next day delivery, "lost" the guitar for nearly a week before eventually delivering it - to the wrong address.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    tFB Trader
    The maximum compensation available for musical instruments with Parcelforce is £200 - they do not offer enhanced compensation.
    Collect+ exclude musical instruments.

As far as I'm aware UPS do not exclude musical instruments and they now have a store to store service, however I'm not sure if the size will be more than the maximum permitted - you could check with P2G Live Chat about max dims and whehter musical instruments are covered. It is touted as a 24hr service so less time kicking around warehouses.
    Buying through P2G will be much cheaper than direct and you can purchase enhanced cover.

• GIJoeGIJoe Frets: 213
    The maximum compensation available for musical instruments with Parcelforce is £200 - they do not offer enhanced compensation.
    Collect+ exclude musical instruments.

As far as I'm aware UPS do not exclude musical instruments and they now have a store to store service, however I'm not sure if the size will be more than the maximum permitted - you could check with P2G Live Chat about max dims and whehter musical instruments are covered. It is touted as a 24hr service so less time kicking around warehouses.
    Buying through P2G will be much cheaper than direct and you can purchase enhanced cover.

P2G are tricksters!  Look at their "special" terms:

• Amplifiers - maximum parcel compensation value for damages is £200, up to £2,500 compensation for lost items.
    • Guitars - maximum parcel compensation value for damages is £100, up to £1,000 compensation for lost items. Guitars must be sent in a hard case.

"Nobody is really researching robot jokes"

• sunshinewellysunshinewelly Frets: 731
    edited September 2014
    used UPS through interparcel - added compensation as well as there was nothing in the terms about excluding guitars from this cover.

Came to £22 which seems OK and still made slight profit over what it cost me.

Now to spend it on something else guitar related (for once i can comply with the wifes one out one in policy)