Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Money, status etc

What's Hot

Comments

• GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3664
    Where I live, it's the cliche to end all cliches. 

He: tattooed, beard, muscles
    She: fake tan, aspiring-Kardashian look
    2-up 2-down rented house
    Two new (leased) cars - expensive, German

There are loads of these people. Everywhere. 
    One guy: rental flat, new Merc jeep. 

Bizarre. The apex of conspicuous consumption. Real-life reality TV. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19295

I work with so many guys who have been partners in massive global firms for 15-20 years and I honestly wonder why. They must have a shitload of cash by that point, and personally I have a massive list of stuff I'd much rather be doing if I didn't need to pay bills. 

You realise that you have a lot in common with these guys though? Probably more than you have in common with most of the population of the planet, probably more than you have in common with me.
    Yeah, I think about it a lot actually. Honestly I could probably do that if I wanted, but that would mean even more stress, and even less free time. We aren't wealthy by any stretch of the imagination but we have enough money to live without worrying about money, which I really appreciate a massive amount - having been arse-end of overdrafts and credit card balances through my 20s I really know what money worries feel like.

I just want the freedom to go enjoy my life, which currently means playing in a band with some work people, going on holiday with my wife and I like the idea of doing film scoring in my later years.

I also find skiing and OWNING YOUR OWN CHALET utterly baffling.
    Me too, specially when you prefer eating in PizzaExpress Woking...
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825

I work with so many guys who have been partners in massive global firms for 15-20 years and I honestly wonder why. They must have a shitload of cash by that point, and personally I have a massive list of stuff I'd much rather be doing if I didn't need to pay bills. 

You realise that you have a lot in common with these guys though? Probably more than you have in common with most of the population of the planet, probably more than you have in common with me.
    Yeah, I think about it a lot actually. Honestly I could probably do that if I wanted, but that would mean even more stress, and even less free time. We aren't wealthy by any stretch of the imagination but we have enough money to live without worrying about money, which I really appreciate a massive amount - having been arse-end of overdrafts and credit card balances through my 20s I really know what money worries feel like.

I just want the freedom to go enjoy my life, which currently means playing in a band with some work people, going on holiday with my wife and I like the idea of doing film scoring in my later years.

I also find skiing and OWNING YOUR OWN CHALET utterly baffling.

Don't we all
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29038
    I own a £320 jumper. So I'm a brainless poseur. 

But I bought it with cash. So I'm practically aristocracy.

But it was in the sale for £61, so I'm "a bit council". 

It is stripey and lovely though, so screw you all. :) 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19295
    Sporky said:

Please let it be a Breton fishermans.
    We need photo's (with matching beret & neckerchief).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Charity shops are a good place to fake being wealthy. We buy all our clothes there - you get worn-once tee shirts from all the big high Street brands, lovely jackets that retail for £100 for a £10 and occasionally you'll find a quality pair of UK made shoes.

I informed my sister in law of this. She's... Snobby? Maybe? I don't like to say that, but her response to this information was (word for word, I quote exactly):

"we really respect our belongings, so we only buy brand new".

When they found out their (brand new, sealed) gift came from a charity shop, they gave it back. 
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I find the idea of wearing someone else's clothes quite horrific. I know that makes me an awful person, and I've no problem with other people doing it, but ew. 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27857
    Sporky said:
    I find the idea of wearing someone else's clothes quite horrific.
    What about if they took them off first?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sporky said:
    I find the idea of wearing someone else's clothes quite horrific. I know that makes me an awful person, and I've no problem with other people doing it, but ew. 

That's something I've heard a lot. Don't get it, but you do you!

The sealed gift was a lego set though. So I was sad when they gave it back. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2022
    I would have no problem with non-clothing stuff from charity shops. I'll totally have the Lego if it's making you sad. I nearly bought a Willow Tree figurine from one in the village last week. I was going to draw demonic faces on it and give one of them a knife. 
  • Sporky said:
    You need to play some Sunday League football Sporky , that will soon get that pot of your system.  Coming on as a sub and literally taking the sweaty shirt off of someone else’s back as they stumble off…..
  • Sporky said:
    I would have no problem with non-clothing stuff from charity shops. I'll totally have the Lego if it's making you sad. I nearly bought a Willow Tree figurine from one in the village last week. I was going to draw demonic faces on it and give one if them a knife. 

It went back to the store. It was a small NASA one, nothing too fancy but there was a logic behind it. I couldn't afford to pay full price so when I saw it for a fiver...

Nevermind. 

My dad just finished building the apollo rocket. It's absolutely incredible! 
    Sporky said:
    You need to play some Sunday League football Sporky , that will soon get that pot of your system.  Coming on as a sub and literally taking the sweaty shirt off of someone else’s back as they stumble off…..

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14002
    Sporky said:

"1-2 Freddy's coming for you..."

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27610
    One of may favourite possessions is an H&M scarf I got for about £3 in a charity shop something like 15 years ago. It's genuinely wonderful. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7826
    I can't remember the exact quote but over 25 years ago, I saw Ally McBeal and there was this episode about death and what is important.  What is important isn't job title or how much money you have, a person's achievement and wealth are defined by the people who come to his or her funeral. 
    Nope. 100% disagree with the second half of this.

How people perceive me is completely unimportant.

wealth for me is some balance between free time and money. My neighbor is wealthy, he earns enough to not struggle, works 50% and he spends so much time with his kids, doesn’t buy much and is very happy. He has a great balance. Life is for enjoying as best you can.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12028
    edited October 2022
    I can't remember the exact quote but over 25 years ago, I saw Ally McBeal and there was this episode about death and what is important.  What is important isn't job title or how much money you have, a person's achievement and wealth are defined by the people who come to his or her funeral. 

wealth for me is some balance between free time and money. My neighbor is wealthy, he earns enough to not struggle, works 50% and he spends so much time with his kids, doesn’t buy much and is very happy. He has a great balance. Life is for enjoying as best you can.
    It means the family that you have gained and the friends you made along the way in your life.  

If you think friends and family are not something you should have, fair enough!

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17854
    tFB Trader

It means the family that you have gained and the friends you made along the way in your life.  

If you think friends and family are not something you should have, fair enough!

I must say I couldn't care less if no one is at my funeral other than my kids.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16267
    It's funny that in a thread dealing with wealth and status the most mentioned aspirational yardstick / the most visual metaphor that people mention is the Car .
    Cars seem to be adopted as a Barometer of wealth /status or extravagance by so many people .
    If you were to go on a tour of all the rivermouths , ports , Havens and harbours in this country you would be staggered at the amount of boats of all types bobbing on the water .; thousands upon thousands ......not talking big flashy Power Cruisers or obvious Gin Palaces but just the huge number of 30' sailing boats etc ...........not many of these are worth less than £75 000 and yet they all have owners ......who also pay £10k per year in mooring,antifouling and maintenance .There are still loads in the £250,000 price range .This puts £50,000 of Audi in the shade (and if you think car depreciation is bad you don't wanna know about boats . Then add up the vast amount of boats on every Med Sea harbour from France to Greece to Spain and Italy ,Croatia,  ,hundreds of thousands worth £750 ,000 and more ..............you realise that there are hundreds and hundreds of thousands of people with the kind of wealth that can own this outside of house,car ,watch,clothes etc etc without it even being especially visible .Thousands of people pay the cost of a decent new family car as an annual Golf Club membership fee every year .Staggering really.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13577
    edited October 2022
    Sporky said:

It is stripey and lovely though, so screw you all.  
    stripy or hoopy ? 

(now we'll see where you really lie...........................)
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.