Cheap fingerstyle guitar (yes, really)

What's Hot
TanninTannin Frets: 5467
I'm toying with the idea of buying a really cheap acoustic. Yes, me. Really. 

I'm going to spend two or three weeks in Sri Lanka shortly (as is my habit every few years, I love the place) and face the following options:

* 1: Take a guitar with me. (No way. Not in that climate. Anyway, I'd have to pay a fortune in excess baggage or book a seat for it.)
* 2: Go three weeks without playing. (Not sure I want to do that. And I dread to think how far back my skills will have gone when I get back.)
* 3: Buy something when I get there. Give it to someone when I fly home. 

So how much do I need to spend to get something playable? Is a £100 guitar worth having? Would it frustrate the hell out of me? Or be good enough to do the job? What is the collective wisdom re £100 and £200 guitars? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• drippycatdrippycat Frets: 139
    What about the PRS SE P20? A parlour sized guitar & music radar have an announcement at the moment that Thomann have them on sale for £268.
  • I think a good idea to have something like this. I regret selling my old Taylor Mini - was so so handy to carry around if needed to.
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3706
    Unless you're very lucky I'd expect to have to do a setup on a guitar in that price range; I think the logistics of getting something set up the way you like it may be a little challenging so if you take option 3 you need to be prepared to do it yourself and spend part of your holiday doing it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5467
    Cheers chaps. It would have to be something I can pick up in Colombo (two or three hours out of my way) or more likely Negombo.

Looking on-line, the music shops there mostly seem to stock cheapies from Yamaha, Aston, and a few others. I did love the High Street music shop I saw offering a "Martin D-28 Dreadnought (replica)" for Rs. 57,500 (£140) complete with Martin badging! The funny thing is, the manufacturer (doubtless in China) has copied the shape and look very closely, even down to the shape of the headstock and the badging, but made it with a most un-Martin-like 43mm nut to suit smaller hands.

Anyway, I'l have a very limited range to choose from, particularly given the economic upheaval they are only just starting to recover from. I'm mainly looking to see what people think of very cheap guitars these days. 

(I don't want to go into a local music shop here in Oz and try stuff out when I have no intention of buying it here. I don't feel right doing that.)

• MellishMellish Frets: 947
    Giving the guitar away on returning, maybe to someone who can't afford to buy?

Mate, that's commendable and confirms what I already knew. Have a wis.

:)
  • JayceeJaycee Frets: 310
    Mellish said:
    Giving the guitar away on returning, maybe to someone who can't afford to buy?

Mate, that's commendable and confirms what I already knew. Have a wis.

:)

Agreed, and buying the guitar out there means its already used to the climate

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 7282
    You could buy one of the local "Givson" acoustics for 3,999 rupees ($75.81 AUS).
    The G150 Standard (wonder if there is a Pro or Deluxe model) is described as: "6 String Accoustic Spanish Guitar (R- Hole)".  Was R-Hole an abbreviation or a mispronounciation?
    Pay particular attention to the font and overall appearance of the "Givson" logo.

There are no specs shown, probably because they fluctuate according to what kind of plywood is available.  The zero nut and adjustable 70s style saddle mean that the makers don't have to be too finnicky with the nut slots or saddle.  The quirky coin tuner buttons (or are they just short billets lathed off a metal bar?) and large treble clef symbol on the scratchplate accentuate the retro feel.

Perhaps you might be better using your time there fruitfully and learning something different?
    https://shreesaimusical.com/product-category/sitar-veena/sitar/
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'd get a 2nd hand travel/silent guitar.  Dismantle to travel with no risks, you'll have it every time you go to Sri Lanka or anywhere else, no waste throwing it away or whatever. Some headphones and away you go.

Yamahas are the best but pricey. I have an Aria Sinsonido steel strung and used to have the nylon version when my focus was classical/flamenco. I used to take it all over the place - travelling, to work etc. Last month one went for £122 on Ebay.

Agree with earlier point that -especially with budget range acoustics - you are going to need a setup so factor in that cost if you go down that route or you will be put off playing an acoustic.. Most shop cheapo acoustics have the nut and bridge way too high.  Note - the Sinsonido has a height adjustable bridge :-)   
  • I don't know anything about Sri Lanka but a few years ago I bought a second hand Suzuki classical in Cambodia for $100 and it served me well. The shop owner said that if I wanted to return it at any time he would charge me $1 a day for the use of it.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Cheers all. Some great responses. Working backwards uip the thread:

@JonnyBgoode you are making sense. Two factor prevent that. One is that a Yamaha Silent Guitar won't fit in my luggage. (I looked at one in Hobart last week.) I am restricted there because the purpose of my trip is wildlife photography. I essentially take a two shirts, a pair of undies, and a whole stack of photographic equipment on the flight, and that maxes out the 30kg limit. Are there ways around that? Probably. The second is that I'm limited to what I can buy here in Tasmania (a very small state, about 2% of Australia's population). I sometimes shop in Melbourne (Australia's largest city, about the same size as Birmingham or Manchester) but won't have time to do that this time. 

Longer-term, I'm thinking I want a travel guitar for the outback trips I do, where space isn't really an issue (within reason), nor weight, but durability is. (Heat, humidity, vibration.) For that, an orthodox non-folding acoustic would make sense, but in carbon fibre. Sometimes I toy with the idea of an Emerald, though there are many others. (Obviously, that wouldn't help with  a Sri Lanka trip.)

@BillDL - you are a funny man. :) It's a three week trip. I don't think I've got time to learn the sitar. Hey - I've been playing guitar for 50 years and haven't mastered it yet, you reckon I can get up to speed on sitar in three weeks? :)

@Mellish and @Jaycee - It's not so altruistic. It's probably the cheapest way to have a guitar for three weeks. But yes, I'll try to give it to someone who will benefit from it. I mean for you or me, £150 is something we can spend on a night out or a new jumper or a car service and not even blink. No big deal.

Finally, the thing I really want to know is how satisfying is a 
    £150 guitar going to be? Is it even worth doing? (The setup I can deal with. I'm not going to worry about that.)

• Finally, the thing I really want to know is how satisfying is a 
    £150 guitar going to be? Is it even worth doing? (The setup I can deal with. I'm not going to worry about that.)

My second hand classical was excellent but I can't imagine a $150 new guitar being very good.
    I once owned a quite expensive Brunner travel guitar, thinking it would be a good idea to bring it as hand luggage, but the sound just wasn't there and it felt fiddly and small. Based on my experience, I would avoid travel guitars.

• I once owned a quite expensive Brunner travel guitar, thinking it would be a good idea to bring it as hand luggage, but the sound just wasn't there and it felt fiddly and small. Based on my experience, I would avoid travel guitars.
    Not all travel guitars are built with the same intention.  Did yours have an onboard preamp? The guitars I mentioned are not designed to be played acoustically, which is why they are called silent guitars. You plug in headphones  if you want volume - the Yamaha in particular has really good onboard electrics with onboard fx etc. They are excellent for playing in hotel rooms, or if you want to practice at night at home without waking the kids.

I can see why a small folding truly acoustic guitar would be unsatisfying though, too much of a compromise. 

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    Tbh I don't think you will forget how to play in three weeks. I have found a wee break does me the world of good. 
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    edited October 2022
    Tbh I don't think you will forget how to play in three weeks. I have found a wee break does me the world of good. 
    I think you're right, a small break (like after a week or three on holiday) really gets the enthusiasm back up

Ive had two "enforced breaks" of 4 and 6 months through injury/surgery.   

The single biggest issue was  -  callouses,  or lack of  - took me a couple of weeks the first time,  but I did some "prep" the second time - just very firmly rubbing fingers up and down strings  - 

the muscle memory soon returned
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • stufisherstufisher Frets: 845
    Not sure if this idea would hold water but I'll suggest it anyway.

I bought one of these babies via eBay for £70, in June this year. It's a great little guitar and perfect for my campervan travels and just kicking around. It sounds way better than it should.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_gs_travel_e_spruce.htm

The issue you'd have is shipping. I'm not sure Thomann ship to Sri Lanka as a matter of course but as they have very approachable and helpful customer service folk you could drop them a line and explain your travel plan and subsequent charitable intention. 

It's such an unusual request they might see the marketing potential ... "nature photographer takes HB into Asian wilderness and gifts it to the needy" ... ambitious marketeers would bite yer arm off.

It's poss that they'd ship to your hotel and you could offer them a write-up about the guitar's adventures and playability in remote, challenging climes ... really big them up. Quid pro quo!

Shy bairns get nowt.

Good luck :+1: 
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 236
    @Tannin - A lot of hassle for a 3 week break. I'd go cold turkey. Just think of the joy you'd have returning to the stable!
    Besides, if it's a photo break, much of your non- shoot time is going to be reviewing the day's efforts is it not?
    Best of luck & have a great trip anyway.  ;)
    That's great thinking @stufisher And they do. Just for fun I looked up the shipping cost, which was remarkably reasonable at £52 - compare with ..... 

....... Sorry about that. Big rabbit hole! I've looked at Thomann shipping before, for strings, and it is very expensive. Also, they only use UPS couriers, which is sensible for a fancy new guitar but ridiculous for a set of strings. So anyway I plugged my home address for that same guitar into their website and Hey Presto! they were asking an insane 
    £223 to ship to me here at home. Australia isn't so terribly different to (e.g.) California or Japan for actual freight costs (as opposed to the insane amount Thomann are asking) - say 30% to 50% more as a rough guide. (Nothing like the 330% they want!) But hang on a mo, what if I plug in an address in mainland Australia (it does cost a little more - and I do mean a little more) to put the usual interstate delivery truck on the roll-on roll-off ferry overnight. So I put a Victorian address in and suddenly Thomann only wanted £101, which is a bit steep but not completely unreasonable in these post-pandemic times. 

Anyway, valuable lesson learned. When I order strings from Thomann (which I plan to do because they have a few interesting ones I can't get in the USA, and also they have much better prices on Pyramid than the Americans or Australians) send them to a friend on the mainland, who can post them over to me for $10 extra instead of Thomann's insane $212 extra (£122).

Apologies for the interruption. We now return you to our normal programming.

That is broadly the sort of thing I'll be looking at. But in the end, if I go to a music shop in Negombo or Colombo I can actually try guitars out and buy one that sounds OK and is playable. (Or not buy one if I don't like any of them.)

Or, as @LastMantra and @bertie very sensibly point out, three weeks isn't a very long time to not play for. @Soupman I tend not to spend long reviewing pictures in the field. I mostly just upload, make nightly backups, and have a quick squiz at a few random samples. Proper reviewing I do at home where I have proper photographic monitor. (Even the best laptop screens are pretty sad little things compared to the real thing. A bit like travel guitars maybe?)

Anyway, I think I'll just make a short detour to the music shops on my first day in-country (I'll be well away from the big cities  the rest of the time, so it's first day or nothing), try a few guitars, and if I like one and find it reasonably playable, buy it.

Below: view from my hotel balcony near Sinharaja, November 2018. I'll ask for the same room this year. Now is that a nice place to sit and play or is that a nice place to sit and play? 

• stufisherstufisher Frets: 845
    Good plan @Tannin ; ... that's my sort of place for sure ... I'm sure you'll reacquaint yourself quickly and have a whole new set of experiences to capture.

When you do your quick squiz reviews it'd be good if you posted a few on tFB ... just so we know that you're alive and well :wink:  ... and to curse and swear, green with envy of course :lol: 

Hope all goes to plan and you have a wonderful adventure.

Best,

Stu
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    @Tannin ; - you know the rules mate, pics of Sri Lanka or you didn't go =)

Enjoy your break :) 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JRgtarJRgtar Frets: 19
    Have you thought about a Martin Backpacker? Can fit inside some cases or in overhead locker (apparently). I get loads of use from mine, ridiculously easy to just take with you on a car trip, I love it! Thoman also do a Baby Taylor equivalent, that could also fit in a case (Delta Blues T or something?). Travel guitars basically come in all shapes and sizes, some suit better than others depending on what you need.