I've been trying to learn some fast picking very methodically...here's how it's going

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• You can start with a downstroke with an upward pick slant still. You can have downstroke escape with upward or downward pick slanting and vice versa, but on the odd note string changes you need a double escape motion.

There’s also a difference in how you generate the double escape motion. If it’s done with the wrist it can be a fairly wide pick stroke that covers a decent amount of distance, if it’s done with the radial bone in the forearm, it’s a shorter pick stroke as it’s a tighter turn which can be good useful in certain scenarios.

For this lick, with an upward pick slant you can still start with a downstroke. For the first string change from the note on the 7th fret I use a small amount of forearm rotation to get the pick clear on an upstroke, then I need to play the 3rd fret on the next sting so I use mainly the wrist for a long pendulum like down stroke that gets me clear of the g string on the follow through of that note on the D string. Then I’ve got to get back to the A string 5th fret with an upstroke. Unlike the previous short upstroke I use a longer arc generated by the wrist which gets me back to where I want to be. 

Not all the upstrokes and down stokes are generated the same way. There are several optional mechanical movements that generate some nuance that isn’t covered by thinking of them as just up or down strokes. 

Moving away front the concept of equal alternating up and down strokes towards the concept of learning multiple types of up strokes and down strokes with different distances and arcs for different logistical problems has been an epiphany for me and I’ve made some huge improvements in a very short time period.

Bluegrass forward rolls over 3 strings are a great way of getting this down….. and annoying my wife

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    edited January 2023
    That forearm rotation is really just changing between slants

Bluegrass players have the additional problem of needing to project. I think a lot of that technique is designed to facilitate volume at speed, same with gypsy jazz. It is highly prescriptive
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The forearm rotation can be used to change slant, but really importantly it rotates the pick in a much shorter space, so as a secondary motion, it’s really useful, especially for setting up a wrist picked double escape motion on a higher string immediately afterwards.

I picked bluegrass as an example as that’s something that I’ve been practicing that has solved a particular issue and transferred to this sort of stuff, but I could really just say one note per string.

Gypsy jazz players predominantly have the wrist rolled the opposite way to Gary so any forearm rotation would work slightly differently for different situations.

I’ve opened up a really broad slightly OT subject. I don’t want to derail the thread too much so I’ll have a think about summarising some of the stuff in another thread if I get the chance later.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom