Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Amps / Live

What's Hot

Comments

• I assume you own the practice room....?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72345
    I assume you own the practice room....?
    No. There's a storage area at the end of the corridor and the amp is on wheels :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Crikey - don't think I'd leave my amp in some strange building lol!
    Crikey - don't think I'd leave my amp in some strange building lol!
    It's just an old Peavey combo which owes me nothing really. It sounds great but there are other bass amps which do that, and I wouldn't really miss it if I didn't already own it. It would probably take a minimum of two well-motivated people to steal it anyway - it weighs 8 stone and is an awkward shape! And the studio is up a flight of stairs. Peaveys are very hard to kill too, so even if someone else decides to use it it's no big deal.

There are certainly other amps I own which I wouldn't leave there.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Our practice room is up 4 flights of stairs... Back-breaking!!
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    ICBM said: It would probably take a minimum of two well-motivated people to steal it anyway - it weighs 8 stone and is an awkward shape! And the studio is up a flight of stairs. Peaveys are very hard to kill too, so even if someone else decides to use it it's no big deal.

This is why old Peaveys are PERFECT rehearsal room amps ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Do you guys have amp covers for your amps? 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    Yeah 

Hot Covers are really good.
    Do you guys have amp covers for your amps? 
    For my Mesa, yes. Not for the Peaveys.

For my last two Mesas I had flightcases, but I was gigging much more then than now and those amps didn't have the sort of end handles and wheels that this one does.

If you're going to get a cover for your amp, I can happily recommend HotCovers.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OK I'll check Hot Covers. 
    I just saw Roqsolid ones (?) fir it but they're £40? Anyway, will check!
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Do you guys have amp covers for your amps? 
    Yes or a flightcase - if you're going to gig it, then it will get scrapes and knocks and some kind of protection is helpful if you want it to stay nice.   The extra advantage of flightcases  for my combo's is using them to sit the amp on and raise it up.

I'd always use my own amps for rehearsing so I know I'll get a half decent sound - that's what you bought it for.    Stick some wheels on it or get a foldup trolley and you're sorted.
  • Roqsolid are top notch as well. I really like them.
  • I'm going to mix between room amp + my pedalboard... and my own amp when it's nearer gig-time. 
    Flight cases look solid but I'll be transporting it in a Ford Focus along with a huge PRS case so space is of the essence...
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    I have a Roqsolid on my current amp and a Hotcovers on my old one and given the choice I'd have a Hotcovers.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    edited October 2014
    The Hotcovers does look pretty cool - though I see the Roqsolid got "Guitarist Choice" award. Roqsolid website looks a bit naff; somebody should sort that! Can you expand on why you prefer one over the other?
  • Have any of you who have this amp encountered any hiss? See here:

It all seems pretty inconclusive, but I wanted to check..
    The Hotcovers does look pretty cool - though I see the Roqsolid got "Guitarist Choice" award.
    I've never actually seen a Roqsolid up close, but a Guitarist Choice award is totally meaningless. They have a good reputation amongst users, which is what's important… as do HotCovers.

There's another company you should avoid, too - same name as a famous motor racing venue… the covers aren't bad, but the customer service is appalling and probably dishonest. Currently their website is down so hopefully they've gone bust.

• Bugger! Took my Roland to practice today with pedals going into it and it was loss enough on quarter volume. Hope I've not gone and bought an amp for nothing....!!
    Bugger! Took my Roland to practice today with pedals going into it and it was loss enough on quarter volume. Hope I've not gone and bought an amp for nothing....!!
    Only if you don't like the sound of the new amp as much as the Roland. You might play gigs where the Blackstar is physically too big to work well, and you might play others where the Roland isn't loud enough. It's always good to have options and a backup, no matter how reliable the Blackstar is. I have a Peavey solid-state 1x10" amp as well as my 2x12" Mesa for exactly those reasons.