Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Amps / Live

What's Hot

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    I don't see why not.

Well wah, boost and distortion are going to go up front so you could just use the chorus and delay on the amp and you are away. 

Listen to this wise man
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Will try and post vids if possible when I get it but sound quality will be crap on my phone (not got a proper camera..)
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    edited October 2014
    See point 7 here - looks like it's a no-go for headphone use:

That's a bummer! In the shop the "low" volume sound was pretty good but it definitely would be good to get some 'phones in there...
  • You can have it both ways - in built delay, chorus, verb (which are effectively in the effects loop) then use the distortion pedal up front. Or, if you don't need the distortion pedal, sell it and use the amp distortion (which I think is really quite good), then just use the boost for solo time. Wah is in front of amp anyway, and the money you make from a Suhr distortion pedal offsets amp cost quite a bit!

So it'll be a solid, reliable, decent sounding gigging combo that goes whisper quiet for home volume.
  • I did think about selling the Riot Reloaded pedal but it's sooo ogood, and I wont be hauling my amp to practice every week so will need the pedal. Good points, though. Maybe I'll mix it up every now and then... definitely though, I should use the amp distortion since it sounds so good! I would like to use my own delay pedal but will see how the one on the amp works.

Just wondering now whether I should sell my Roland Cube 30 or if it might be useful for smaller gigs (in conjunction with the pedalboard).

Too many options!
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

For boost, do you want/need added grit, added gain, added volume or a combination.

If you can get a decent rhythm sound from the amp, then an OD/distortion in front will add gain/grit/volume. Something like an MXR micro amp in the loop will add volume.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

edited October 2014
    All I need the boost for is volume (for solos), no grit added..
    Cube keep for home use, or get an attenuator for headphone use of the Blackstar

Feedback

Putting any sort of boost infront of an already dirt amp will just give more gain, and subsequently make thing more compressed.

A boost like the Microamp in the loop will give the volume lift without changing the tone (well not like putting a boost in front).

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Thanks, jal - will defo have to see about getting headphone usage out of it.
    Hmm, so I'd have to put the boost in the FX loop...
    I'll have to see just what pedals go in an out of the FX loop... what the rules are etc!

Clean boosts not O/D or Distortion in the loop - @ICBM will tell you the in and outs, but it's generally not amp friendly to do.

My own choice, which I may have mentioned , is the MXR Microamp for a volume boost, works brilliantly (IMO).

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72360
    That's correct - do not put overdrives, distortions or fuzzes in the loop. It can make the amp unstable, which will cause it to sound very odd, and in rare cases even cause damage if the amp self-oscillates at high power outside the audio range. It usually doesn't sound very good anyway, even if nothing bad happens.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    Good ol' graphic in the FX loop is another option, I believe how yer man with the top hat and Marlboro tends (tended?) to do it...
  • Cheers Ian, just checked that out! I do use a TC Boost pedal right now but that's with an amp's clean channel and my own distortion pedal. It's a bummer that if I wanted to boost a distorted solo part, I'd have to use the boost pedal in the FX loop because on this amp, when programmed to have an FX loop, it means you always need something in that loop else you get no sound out of it (or so I've read).
    I'm going to try the boost in front of the amp to check the differences.
    Cheers Ian, just checked that out! I do use a TC Boost pedal right now but that's with an amp's clean channel and my own distortion pedal. It's a bummer that if I wanted to boost a distorted solo part, I'd have to use the boost pedal in the FX loop because on this amp, when programmed to have an FX loop, it means you always need something in that loop else you get no sound out of it (or so I've read).
    I'm going to try the boost in front of the amp to check the differences.
    Don't forget channel switching with your amp as an alternative.

Feedback
  • Surely the whole point of having programmable patches in the amp is that you don't need to add pedals for a boost. If you need a solo boost you just add another patch which duplicates your rhythm sound but boosts the volume and gain a little and maybe adds a few mids to cut through.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Yep good points, guys. I can program the volume on the solo channels to be louder than the clean/crunch or use a patch.
    It looks like I'll only be using my pedalboard for practices at the practice room through their amps.
  • thomasross20;379809" said:
    Yep good points, guys. I can program the volume on the solo channels to be louder than the clean/crunch or use a patch.

It looks like I'll only be using my pedalboard for practices at the practice room through their amps.
    I'd definitely use your own - not only will it sound much better than a Marshall mg, it will get you used to setting it up and switching patches. That's really important for a gig.
    edited October 2014
    Hmm, good points. I don't know if I'd lug it to every practice but maybe a few.
    Bummer, my pedal-board ROCKS, too (the delay/chorus etc will be better than the amp effects)! I'll keep it but it looks like it'll be getting a lot less use. I think the only pedal I'll need to take will be my wah pedal then.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72360
    I usually only take my own amp for the last practice before a gig, to make sure about stuff like that and check it's working properly.

I find it's good to play through a variety of (often crap) amps, it gets you used to being able to dial in a good sound through anything and not rely on 'precious' gear. That can stand you in good stead if something goes wrong, as well as just being a good thing in general.

Admittedly I keep my bass amp at the practice room since it's so heavy I don't want to carry it back and forth, but it's actually unlikely I'll use it for most gigs!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom