So, I did an acoustic thing with added video (it's not pretty!)

What's Hot
camfcamf Frets: 1191
edited November 2022 in Acoustics

As a result of too much time over lockdown without bandmates, I seem to have veered into acoustic territory. I know that this should be in the 'plug your stuff' section but I thought there's a few mandolin fans and folk players on here that probably wouldn't ever venture into that part of tFB and it would be a shame to miss a couple of really good players. You can probably live without ever hearing my dulcet tones again but Iain MacLeod is terrific, and was the original mandolin play with Shooglenifty. Amy, the fiddle player, is every bit as good and has recently been playing with one of the UK's top Americana names, Dean Owens. 

If anybody likes this sort of thing, let me know and I'll send you a Bandcamp freebie ahead of release on the 15th of November. 

Thanks for listening,

cam f
0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MellishMellish Frets: 947
    Well your thread title says that but the acoustic guitar playing there is something you should be OK with.

:) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • camfcamf Frets: 1191
    Haha! No, that is kind, but compared to the other two I’m a rubbish old hack.
  • westfordwestford Frets: 581
    I like this sort of thing!  =)
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 747
    Very nice. Could be off Fog On The Tyne or Dingly Dell!
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3705
    Thanks right up my street. I’ll take you up on the bandcamp offer if I may?
  • CoolCatCoolCat Frets: 158
    edited October 2022
    Very nice. Well done, Camf. Your guitar playing is good.

I have been listening to some acoustic bands on Youtube. Their level of musicianship is amazing.

I'm interested in your bandcamp offer.
    'Life is very short, and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend' - Lennon & McCartney (We can work it out).
    Thanks everyone. Try this code: a8mu-3h34

Here: https://boulderfields.bandcamp.com/yum

I think one code works for a few people but if you have any problems let me know and I'll send you another link. If you like the EP, please pass it on to anyone else you think might like it. It's pay-what-you-want on Bandcamp. With times being so tough for almost everyone currently, I'd much rather people paid nothing and enjoyed it. If it gets people along to gigs, that will be more than worth it. :) 

These tracks were done pretty much straight, with minimal (if any) EQ or other effects. I took a Bourgeois mahogany OM with me but only used it on one track, and the rest were on a Gibson J150 (the non-bling version of the J-200). The maple body seems to work really well when playing with other acoustic instruments. I might just imagine it but, at least to my fairly deaf ears, I think it leaves more space for the fiddle and the mandolin.  

Hope you enjoy it and thanks for giving it a listen. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Seems that code isn't working anymore, so here are a couple of others to try. Again, if after a while these stop working, let me know and I'll post some more. 

6c6r-k5uh

us3w-yfav
  • stufisherstufisher Frets: 845
    Really good, rich, balanced sound @camf ; ... go on, puff out your chest :+1: 

Not sure I've seen Amy play but I have seen Dean Owens and the Whiskyhearts  ... really good for me, especially in an intimate wee hall in the Hebrides.

I'll try the code for sure and will let you know if another is needed. Hope to see you gig this stuff somewhere, some time ... well done you :+1: 
    Thanks Stu. Amy played with him for years and she’s great too. I’m hoping to get out and about gigging and heading your direction would be high on my priority list.
  • stufisherstufisher Frets: 845
    :+1:  I'll keep an eye open for you.

BTW the code is no longer valid ... it says that it has been used by too many people :dissapointed: 
    edited October 2022
    Will PM you your own code. I hate that my iPhone chops off the end of my messages!!!
    edited October 2022
    Did it again!!! I was trying to post that I'm really pleased people are using the codes. If anyone else wants one, please just post here or PM me. As long as I still have them, I'm very happy to send them out. 
  • I like that - I'm partial to a bit of mando and fiddle.  And nothing wrong with the guitar playing either.
    Nice singing as well - if that was you, kudos for not trying to sound American, too many people do that. I hate my own singing voice - always slightly envious of people with a good voice.
    Thanks DH, but like you, I’ve always hated my singing voice too. I realised that most people do, so I try to just ignore the feeling. Coming out of punk helped me just get used to bellowing and eventually things got a bit more under control. I’m really glad you listened and liked it. If you haven’t managed to get a Bandcamp download let me know and I’ll send you one. 

Cheers,

cam
  • Cheers @camf one of the codes you posted still works so I've grabbed a copy - was expecting just that one song, not the whole EP - nice one :)  I'll have a listen to the rest later.
    edited October 2022
    Pre-austerity give away! We need all the help we can get. :)
  • Got some time to kill so just listening to the rest of the EP. This is superb stuff @camf . Playing, singing, recording, production all top notch. Certainly makes any of my "demo" recordings seem rather amateurish :grimace: 
      I'd urge anyone with even the slightest taste for folk music to have a listen.
    I'd be well up for going to one of your gigs, but I suspect you're rather the wrong end of our island for me to nip out for the evening... 
    edited October 2022
    @DartmoorHedgehog when you say things like that, how could I resist heading straight to your nearest venue? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2022
    If my messages seem a bit weird it’s because my phone seems to chop off most of the message any time I post. Weird!