Voting for Solo of the Month (SotM) #87

What's Hot
Welcome to the voting thread for Solo of the Month (SotM) #87. Feel free to vote and comment in this thread.

Thanks to @fastonebaz for providing the backing track for this one.

Vote for your top 3 entries. If you're an entrant you can't vote for yourself.

1st choice gets 5 points
2nd choice gets 3 points
3rd choice gets 1 point

Voting will end at midnight 31st October 2022.

The top three will be announced after the voting closes. No prizes. It's just for fun.

It's not a competition.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• allenallen Frets: 710
    Enjoyed them all. Here are my votes.

Bennyboy 5
    Flying pie 3
    bellycaster 1

• flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1817
    Good effort all round. Very close but for me

5 points @stratman3142 - loved the time and best use of the turnaround, which was the money shot for me
    3 points @Bennyboy-UK - some really tasty licks in there
    1 point @Barney - that's the type of thing I'd love to hear at a blues gig (just the once, mind) and great fake slide with the trem
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4106
    Splendid entries, loved all the blues links and tones.  

5pts to Yngwie Barnsteen aka @Barney loved the exuberance and right from the start pricked my ears up to keep my attention.  Great chops man.

3pts to @Bellycaster classic blues tone and I felt it was unpredictable going from one lick to the next which I reckon is what a decent blues jam is about.  Also sounded like it was played on a set of 12s, very chewy strat tone, nice.

1pt @stratman3142 reassuringly excellent quality playing, tone and phrasing, like getting a massage from your favourite busty salonist.

I still haven't had a crack at this one myself.  Well played all. Cheers! 
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    edited October 2022
    This is a tricky one. I decided to go for the ones that I felt stuck to the style of the backing most.

5 points : @Bellycaster : Captured the blues style well. Best fit to the backing

3 points : @Bennyboy-UK : Classic blues licks and articulations

1 point :  @Flying_pie : Nifty blues licks.

@Barney yours was the most impressive and adventurous in many ways. Amazing playing, but not as in keeping with the backing for me. It put a (kind of) Scott Henderson take on things.

It's not a competition.
  • 5 Points @Bennyboy-UK - Loved the feel and phrasing of all the licks here, nice ending and great tone as well.

3 Points @stratman3142 - Classic Blues feel and style.

1 Point @Barney - Some jaw dropping mastery here, I just felt the others were a better fit to the backing.

@fastonebaz You may be surprised to know that I used a Tele Deluxe on the Neck Position for the solo. Wide Range Humbuckers. I think it's strung with 10's  :)
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • This is the context that lead @Barney  to submit an entry this month:
    https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/236337/some-allan-holdsworth-type-of-thing

;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 616
    All great entries .. favourites for me 

@Bellycaster 5 points 

@stratman3142 3 points 

@Bennyboy-UK 1 point 
  • No attempt from me this month: I was in a blues band for a couple of years and I ain't got no more 12-bar playing left in me...reckon I can manage five listens of this month's entries though ;)

5pts: @flying_pie - I see what you did there with the opening section...brilliant!
    3pts: @Barney - great legato technique, drifting in & out effortlessly
    1pt: @Bennyboy-UK - who doesn't love a solo which ends with the strings squelching out on the pickups?

• Voting closes tonight at midnight.

It's not a competition.
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1037
    1st: @stratman3142  - pro-sounding as usual, great tone and phrasing
    2nd: @Barney  - a very different take, very cool. Could easily be no.1, I was torn! Love the out-there phrasing. 
    3rd: @Bennyboy-UK  - nice fat tone and some great licks :)

To be honest it's blues, which I'm not massively into, so went with what sounded best to my ears this morning; they were all good!

• 5 pts @Bellycaster - I particularly liked the choice of notes near the end which moved to some interesting intervals and caught my ear.

3 pts @Barney - just carnage. Fantastic technique and made me have to listen really hard trying to keep up as your crossing the chords without a breath. Challenging stuff.

1 pt @stratman3142 - solid all round solo. Nice and familiar sounds and runs.

I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:
    * Hamer Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62.
    * Music Man Luke 1, Luke II

Please drop me a message.