Dove, fake or legit?

What's Hot
Looking at this Dove on ebay. Seller bought it in Dubai from a chap who claimed to have bought it at GuitarVillage.
2014 Dove Classic, LE to 50 pieces. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/354360056858

Straight away I saw the very light shade of rosewood bridge and thought it looked suspicious. 
The historic decal on the back of the neck is correct for the previous year's model, but for 2014 they transitioned to a different decal.
The label is white, whereas other LE Doves from the same year seem to use the orange custom label. 
Ivory pins and saddle do seem to appear on some Doves from the same era. 

The other appointments seem kosher. Not my area of expertise. 

All pics here: https://postimg.cc/gallery/J1q3Ddy

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    edited November 2022
    um   -  also isnt the compensation on an acoustic saddle meant to be for the B string ?

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3706
    bertie said:
    um   -  also isnt the compensation on an acoustic saddle meant to be for the B string ?

That could be simply because the bridge fell out and the owner, not knowing any better, put it back the wrong way. 

Not that I would do anything like that... 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I notice that the seller has 0 feedback on eBay. That would be a major red flag for me on a high value purchase like this.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I notice that the seller has 0 feedback on eBay. That would be a major red flag for me on a high value purchase like this.

Yeah he's new to Reverb too, where it's also listed. What can you say? Everyone has to start somewhere. 

I didn't notice the saddle btw.  =)
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27104
    edited November 2022
    I think this is my old guitar! I bought it in Guitar Village and brought it to Abu Dhabi, where I sold it to a guy who lived in Dubai - 

I don't have a record of the serial number but I thought it looked familiar from a quick flick through the pictures before I read the OP properly. The rosewood was always at the lighter end when I had it, but it darkens up ok with a bit of appropriate oil. 

Assuming I'm right it's a bloody good guitar. I'm tempted to have it back!

EDIT - I found a couple of old pics. Check the grain on the bridge and lighter flecks in the pickguard - particularly the light spots in front of the bird's belly and on the edge by the lower-left point of the guard, but also right next to the bud behind the bird's head, and another being point to by the lowest bud on the upper group of flowers.

I'm 99% sure it's mine, but either way the label and headstock logo are correct

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18822
    I think this is my old guitar! I bought it in Guitar Village and brought it to Abu Dhabi, where I sold it to a guy who lived in Dubai - 

I don't have a record of the serial number but I thought it looked familiar from a quick flick through the pictures before I read the OP properly. The rosewood was always at the lighter end when I had it, but it darkens up ok with a bit of appropriate oil. 

Assuming I'm right it's a bloody good guitar. I'm tempted to have it back!

EDIT - I found an old pic. Check the grain on the bridge - I'm 99% sure it's mine, but either way the label and headstock logo are correct

You are right about the label & bridge. Not sure, but the fretboard on your old one seems to have different markings, with more of a broader dark stripe under the G string. Also the lower flower near the rosette seems to have worn off on the ebay one.
    Difficult to say either way  :s
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7280
    The darker grain lines on the bridge of the guitars in both photos look so similar in placement and size that I would tend to believe they are the same guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27104
    edited November 2022
    BillDL said:
    The darker grain lines on the bridge of the guitars in both photos look so similar in placement and size that I would tend to believe they are the same guitar.
    Yep. I just had a feeling as soon as I saw it. Given the seller's story lines up completely I'm very sure. Even the faded beige of the saddle is exactly how mine was when I last saw it - no doubt due to seeing the UAE sunshine from our living room window!

And to the OP - The only reason I don't still own it is the neck profile. If it felt like my HD28 I'd have kept it. If you buy and don't get on with it I'd be very tempted to have it back as my "UK guitar"
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    @stickyfiddle ;   -  at least you had the saddle in the right way around ;)   =) 

(TBH I did think of you when I first read the OP)
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @stickyfiddle ;

Wow. Is this the most successful fake or legit thread in the history of the internet? Hahaha. 

Now please stay out of this - I saw it first!
    Oh wait...  :s
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Haha! Glad to be able to help :) 

and I’m definitely not buying today - I’ve spent wayyyy too much lately!
  • I won the auction with some last second bid shenanigans. Not sure I would have bid for it without your help. Thanks! 
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Congratulations! HNGD when it comes.
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    Congrats to @streethawk and well done @stickyfiddle.

:) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Nice one! 
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    @streethawk ; when you take delivery of the Dove, let us know what you think :) 
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2630
    I would appreciate if the current seller could furnish a sketch of the previous owner.  Just for a surer confirmation.

Amazing thing to see here.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    edited November 2022
    Cranky said:
    I would appreciate if the current seller could furnish a sketch of the previous owner.  Just for a surer confirmation.

Amazing thing to see here.
     Best I can do is provide a sketch of the new owner: 

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The dove has landed! 

Obligatory circa 2015 fancy rug shot: 

Seller, despite being new to ebay, packed the box well and was an absolute gent to deal with. He even threw in a new Dove strap, which was a lovely surprise. 

Initial impressions: bear in mind I've been playing an all hog Martin of late. 
    Despite the strings needing changing, this thing rings beautifully. The maple/spruce and Gibson neck profile reminiscent of my L5.
    Plenty of well defined bass, perhaps lacking mids compared to the hogathon Martin (to be expected).

There's so much character to be wrung out of it, loads of pick variation from saddle to neck. Will see where we are after a restring and setup! 

Delighted.

0reaction image LOL 12reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom