Dove, fake or legit?

What's Hot

Comments

• MikeSMikeS Frets: 2133
    edited November 2022
    Lovely guitar, and what a nice surprise with the strap, I'd have been delighted seeing that. You likely know already, but just in case, I recommend you rub some music nomad F-one oil into that Rosewood. It looks like it really needs a drink, and it'll thank you for it too. Really darkens the Rosewood nicely. Sorry for the quick nasty pic, but heres mine after the oil.

Hope you enjoy your new guitar.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Excellent! You actually had me confused for  second as that even looks like a rug we have here…!! :D 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    @streethawk ; mine loves D'Addario (XT, XS, EJ11, EJ16, all that).

They're great guitars and I'm sure you'll love yours. 

:) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Excellent! You actually had me confused for  second as that even looks like a rug we have here…!! :D 
    You shop at B&M home bargains too?? :grin: 

The rosewood is getting its first treatment tomorrow, and I'll swap that saddle round while I'm a it. I forgot that it comes with electrics, and as I won't be using them I might remove, just to eliminate any sympathetic vibrations. We'll see.

Might ditch the grovers for some klusons that I have lying around. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72411
    I really think the Dove is one of the most underrated guitar models there is.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    @streethawk ; if you remove the electronics, you may well need a new saddle.

I'm sure you're aware of that but won't hurt to point it out. 

• streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    edited November 2022
    Mellish said:

I'm sure you're aware of that but won't hurt to point it out. 

Oh blimey. I’ll likely leave the gubbins in and double check everything’s tied down. 

@ICBM Well we were told they were horrendously bright all those years because - maple. Utter guff.

First treatment on the bridge and board last night, significant change already. Won’t get much darker but looks like rosewood again. 

• I compeltely agree with IC as usual. I'd describe it as "strident" but not bright as such. Just loud and really well balanced.

It's a really lovely "hifi dreadnought" sound that contrasts really nicely with the hog Martin vibe. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • I compeltely agree with IC as usual. I'd describe it as "strident" but not bright as such. Just loud and really well balanced.

It's a really lovely "hifi dreadnought" sound that contrasts really nicely with the hog Martin vibe. 
    'The sound of a hog' is probably a polite way to describe my playing.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2022
    Mellish said:
    Oh blimey. I’ll likely leave the gubbins in and double check everything’s tied down.
    Or you can put a plain shim the same thickness as the pickup in. Contrary to popular belief it won't kill the tone, since the saddle is not resting on the floor of the slot now anyway!

I removed the electronics from mine - I just don't like onboard preamps and battery pouches - but fitted a plain undersaddle piezo pickup (Fishman)... and it sounded *better*.

@ICBM Well we were told they were horrendously bright all those years because - maple. Utter guff.
    And that the thick bridge killed the tone, and the big headstock and heavy tuners killed the tone, and the big pickguard killed the tone... all bollocks.

First treatment on the bridge and board last night, significant change already. Won’t get much darker but looks like rosewood again. 

You really should have turned the bridge saddle round the right way while you were at it .

Forgot to mention, you won't be able to fit Klusons without conversion bushings - the headstock is bored to 10mm. I didn't like the big D-key nickel Grovers, so I replaced mine with the proper *chrome* keystone ones that are the closest to what was fitted on the original models in 1962 (Gibson switched from nickel to chrome plating for most parts in 1961).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    @streethawk ; don't let me put you off mate. As @ICBM said, you can shim the saddle and that'd be OK.

Mine is a bit different, a 2021 Dove Original, limited edition with keystone tuners, Orange label, uncompensated bone saddle etc......

But like you, I'm planning to have the electronics removed. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2022
    ICBM said:
    Mellish said:
    Or you can put a plain shim the same thickness as the pickup in. Contrary to popular belief it won't kill the tone, since the saddle is not resting on the floor of the slot now anyway!

I removed the electronics from mine - I just don't like onboard preamps and battery pouches - but fitted a plain undersaddle piezo pickup (Fishman)... and it sounded *better*.

And that the thick bridge killed the tone, and the big headstock and heavy tuners killed the tone, and the big pickguard killed the tone... all bollocks.

You really should have turned the bridge saddle round the right way while you were at it .

Forgot to mention, you won't be able to fit Klusons without conversion bushings - the headstock is bored to 10mm. I didn't like the big D-key nickel Grovers, so I replaced mine with the proper *chrome* keystone ones that are the closest to what was fitted on the original models in 1962 (Gibson switched from nickel to chrome plating for most parts in 1961).
    I used to sell parts (and may do again!) so have all the conversion malarky at hand. Just doing a bit of research here though and the early ones seem to come fitted with Kluson wafflebacks with the tulip/keystone style buttons. 

They certainly look cool and I always associate Grover kidney tuners with solid bodies. Daft really but it's such a kooky guitar that I want to make it look even kookier. Love the daft red b/sides and pickguard. 

I've not had the strings off yet btw, hence the saddle. Ordered some Elixir nanos to try out. 
    Yes, the earliest ones had wafflebacks. That's actually why I like the keystone Grovers - they look very similar from the front of the guitar, even though not from the back - but directly replace the D-key Grovers with no evidence they're not original. The shape of the key matches the headstock inlay perfectly too :).

Interestingly, despite the relatively small change in overall weight, I think the keystones sound better. (I did re-use the same strings.) I've noticed this with acoustics before - they often seem very sensitive to headstock mass. Klusons would be even lighter, although that doesn't always mean better still... I once had an old J-45 which came to me with Schaller M6s fitted - horrible, I replaced them with modern 'Kluson type' Schallers and the sound improved. The chap I sold it to replaced them again with the original pressed-steel 3-on-a-plate Klusons, and it sounded worse.

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    Wow very nice :D 
    edited November 2022
    Popped the new strings on this evening and boy oh boy, what a difference! Well that and putting the saddle in the right way around. 

Minor fret polish while I was at it and some nut lube. Lovely. Piano like now and beautifully balanced. 
    @streethawk ; just shows you how different two Doves can be.

Mine hates Elixir, doesn't mind Newtone Masterclass but loves anything D'Addario.

I suspect the now hard-to+get Gibson strings are manufactured by D'Addario.

• Mellish said:

Mine hates Elixir, doesn't mind Newtone Masterclass but loves anything D'Addario.

These are just random strings I bought as a set of 3 for a decent price and their newness is causing the transformation. I’ll be experimenting with non coated strings etc over the coming months! 
    edited November 2022
    Mellish said:

These are just random strings I bought as a set of 3 for a decent price and their newness is causing the transformation. I’ll be experimenting with non coated strings etc over the coming months! 
    If you've got them, use them. 

As you go along, trying different strings, you'll soon find favourite ones. 

I have favourite bridge pin materials, too. I know some members here say there's no difference in tone  but to me there is  
  • Mellish said:

Elixirs are made by D'Addario too IIRC.
    edited November 2022
    Mellish said:

Elixirs are made by D'Addario too IIRC.
    Never knew that mate. 

Checked. Made by W. L. Gore.