Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

OK... PRS Guitars - School Me

What's Hot
WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9674
edited December 2022 in Guitar
So, with the low price PRS SE models available, I've just started to dip my toe and research.

Inevitably, being me, I start to look at the more expensive models, but really know FA about them.

- whats the differences ?

- SE vs S2 ?

I like the Starla and Vela models initially. 
Split coils appeal.
Shorter length necks normally.
I'm covered for pure single coils, with the Broadcaster and MB Strat.

Oh and I like the hollow bodies.

The piezo options looks nice too !

Are they all sterile to play ? Im used to relics and nitro, and vintage feel I guess.

Thanks in advance. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• 9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5639

Are they all sterile to play?
    Don't worry, they're perfectly sterile  - like you've just put all of your dental equipment in the autoclave.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • No more dentist jokes please... I've been on the forums for years =)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27854
    edited December 2022
     Im used to relics and nitro, and vintage feel I guess.

Think of it in terms of a life-long vegan asking about which rare-cooked steak they should try ... 

I wouldn't describe them as "sterile" as that (madly) has negative connotations.  But you could pick up 100 PRS guitars and at least 99 of them would look, feel, and sound the same.

If you like that look, feel and sound, then you're on to a winner. 
    If you don't, then you'll look a long time before you find the 1 that works for you.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5639
    edited December 2022
    Wazmeister said:
    No more dentist jokes please... I've been on the forums for years =)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12026
    edited December 2022
    A real brief version….

PRS SE

Indonesian made, Multi part body, poly, and Indonesian hardware too (or Far East).  I think the hollowbody is Chinese made? (Correct me if i am wrong).  The main thing is that they are not made in the USA.  SE guitars are sent to Maryland to be checked over before sent out to distributors, i suspect the same thing happen with European stocks too, perhaps too PRS Europe? Again, correct me if I’m wrong.

PRS S2

Body is USA, hardware is a mix of USA and far east, the pickups is same as SE in a lot of cases.  The body is carved and put together in Maryland.  The neck however is multi piece, the bridge used to be same as SE but lately they look the same as the Core to me.  You can get Nitro on these now.

CE & Bolt on like the Silver Sky

These are all USA made, but they save money in the carve being simpler than the core, hardware are USA.

All the above are gigbag, Core onwards are cases.

Core

The biggest thing here is the neck, it’s 1 piece, apparently it takes a month to make.  There is a dimple dip where the knobs are in all core models.  Glued on neck, nitro, cases etc, starts at about £4k.

Within the Core where it goes up is cosmetic and more exotic (expensive) wood.  Next level up is 10-top, then Artist Pack, then Wood Library (or is it the other way round?) and then above all is Private Stock where it is essentially Made to Measure and Custom Shop.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • No more dentist jokes please... I'm too long in the tooth for that.

FTFY  ;)
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7410
    I used to be an autoclave operator, and you can't afford a PRS on that wage.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9741
    edited December 2022
    No more dentist jokes please... I've been on the forums for years

Sorry…

Someone in this house is getting a PRS SE tomorrow (not me). I’m looking forward to having my prejudices destroyed!

Rhett Shull just released a video comparing similar models at all the price points, quite informative.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • A real brief version….

PRS SE

Indonesian made, Multi part body, poly, and Indonesian hardware too (or Far East).  I think the hollowbody is Chinese made? (Correct me if i am wrong).  The main thing is that they are not made in the USA.  SE guitars are sent to Maryland to be checked over before sent out to distributors, i suspect the same thing happen with European stocks too.

PRS S2

Body is USA, hardware is a mix of USA and far east, the pickups is same as SE in a lot of cases.  The body is carved and put together in Maryland.  The neck however is multi piece, the bridge used to be same as SE but lately they look the same as the Core to me.  You can get Nitro on these now.

CE & Bolt on like the Silver Sky

These are all USA made, but they save money in the carve being simpler than the core, hardware are USA.

All the above are gigbag, Core onwards are cases.

Core

The biggest thing here is the neck, it’s 1 piece, apparently it takes a month to make.  There is a dimple dip where the knobs are in all core models. 

Within the Core where it goes up is cosmetic and more exotic (expensive) wood.  Next level up is 10-top, then Artist Pack, then Wood Library (or is it the other way round?) and then above all is Private Stock where it is essentially Made to Measure and Custom Shop.
    Thanks Ray, that's more like it...

Much appreciated.
  • HoraceBHoraceB Frets: 340
    I was offered a Dave Navarro Signature for a great price, it was a superb guitar and have since regretted turning it down! 
  • No more dentist jokes please... I've been on the forums for years

Sorry…

Someone in this house is getting a PRS SE tomorrow (not me). I’m looking forward to having my prejudices destroyed!

Rhett Shull just released a video comparing similar models at all the price points, quite informative.
    Thanks mate, ill check that out :)
    edited December 2022
    Btw, mojo thing, it’s all in the head IMO.  The main thing with PRS is consistency, if you pick up 10 PRS, 8 of them are all good but perhaps 1 just below par and 1 excellent then you’d think they are all bland.  Especially if you pick up within the 8 good ones.  Whereas with Gibson because there is a big swing in consistency, when you pick up a good one after a couple of bad ones you would think that has mojo.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27854
    If you want a rock'n'roll beat up "mojo" instrument, PRS won't be your thing.  If you want something with a bit of a shiny-bling and where QC consistency overrules mojo every time, then PRS does that very, very well.

The SE range covers a lot of ground now, both in terms of models and price points.  They started out as stripped back, cheaper materials, but not sacrificing the QC.  They've gradually extended up-market with the primary difference now being the non-US manufacturing base.

I've currently got 4 x SEs, 1 x S2 and 1 x US core.

I've sold other US core models because the risk of the cost of dinging one (resale values take a big hit if dinged!) outweighed any improvement in material, finish or sound quality that my eyes, hands or ears could detect.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    Btw, older PRS SE were Korean made, they changed their Far East supplier a few years ago.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14002
    edited December 2022
    I've had a love/hate relationship with PRS over the years but I'm still enjoying my current 594, if you can afford it go core model, they can be superb. I like the Customs but not a big fan of the current pickups in them, I think they sound a little thin compared to the older pickups. The 58/15s work well in the 594 though, quite a hollow PAF tone that works with the thicker body wood. Neck pickup sounds a bit more 335 than Les Paul to my ears. This one is light too at 7.5lb

0reaction image LOL 19reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Beautiful guitar @RandallFlagg ;
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2249
    The PRSs I've owned 

A relatively old (90s?) Mccarty - naturally reliced by the previous owner and by me.  Consequently was very hard to sell when the time came. 

Sc245 - Very pretty guitar with nice blue flame 10 top . Can't remember it being all that inspiring in the playability/sound department though.

Custom 24 - circa 2014. I was surprised how thin the body was. Pickups were pretty hot and was easy to play fast on. The quintessential modern PRS.

Mccarty 594 10 top - circa 2016. Absolutely astonishing guitar.  The pickups were lovely and vintage sounding and even the coil tapped sounds were good.  

If I were to buy another PRS I'd be looking at a 594 semi hollow (or hollow body) or a Santana retro. 
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2249
    Actually PRS don't seem to hold their value like Fender and Gibson custom shop stuff.  So buying used they're not bad value. 
    Very true, getting a used or the current S2 sale is the way to go.