Poopot's Cover Challenge #22 - the letter I

What's Hot

Comments

• HabaneroHabanero Frets: 252
    horse said:

I'm planning on doing a slow paced piano ballad cover of the main chosen track, with an experimental vocal. If I get time.
    I decided on the tune in advance, but keep changing my mind about how much to change it from the original.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • idiotwindidiotwind Frets: 470
    I've sent in a track.  I finished the backing track weeks ago but have been fighting with the vocals since then.  Decided it isn't going to get any better.  I'll write a bit more about it when it's up in the playlist
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1817
    @idiotwind in the playlist
  • idiotwindidiotwind Frets: 470
    Thanks. Ok, so I've gone for, surprisingly, Idiot Wind by Bob Dylan. Just the first half though as a) it's a long song and b) that's as far as I got transcribing the drums.

Drums are EZ Drummer with a transcription of the drum track.  I used that Moises site to split the song up and worked through it. Worked quite well, though if anyone has a better way of transcribing drums than Musescore then I'd be interested.

For the organ and piano I used my Christmas present to myself, a Minilab 3 (little 25 key midi keyboard) and banged out single takes for each.  I'm not much of a keys player.

Simple acoustic guitar part, bass on my DIY fretless and then the vocals... well, I tried.  I bought a real microphone, a cheapo SM57 copy, so at least the sound quality is better this time.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6878
    Jon,

I use Guitar Pro for notating drums and its superb as it allows:-
    - Importing MP3 and syncing tempo of MP3 to notation to allow easy checks and replays vs audio
    - Has proper drum notation (hihiat articulation, ghost notes, different crash cymbals)
    - Has onboard drum sounds to check how notation sounds
    - Lots of full songs are available in Guitar pro format (with drums notated) to download from Ultimate Guitar site - this saves lots of time.
    - There loads of youtube tutorials (Levi Clay cover alot of the basics)
    - Can also be used for guitar, bass, notation etc
    - Can export the drum track to Midi to chuck in EZ Drummer.
    - Really good formatting options - I can usually get rock songs onto two pages which is much easier for putting on music stands.
    - I also print to jpg and use in word to add lyrics to drum scores (this can be done in the app as well, but I find word easier as I can micro tweak the line spacing and text font.)

Heres one Ive done recently to notate a drum part from scratch and check against MP3.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    Capture3.JPG 302.5K
    Sent one in...
    @Habanero in the playlist
    Cheers @flying_pie . I wanted to do Ironic as I really like the words. However not being an acoustic player made me make it heavier, and it ended up with some Pearl Jam influences.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2198
    Getting somewhere with mine. Should be able to get something in fairly soon.
    It's not a competition.
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 586
    Same here, I think I’ve got all the instrumental parts done … now I just have to do the ridiculous difficult vocal …
    Shall we extend the deadline in the hope it will allow more entries?

I'm assuming everyone's really busy because this is a letter where were spoiled for choice
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 145
    Shall we extend the deadline in the hope it will allow more entries?

I'm assuming everyone's really busy because this is a letter where were spoiled for choice
    I should be OK, just need to record some bass and guitar overlays, knowing I only have two weeks helps with motivation. Happy if others need more time though! 
    It's just final tweaks and mixing for me, so mine will be in by the current deadline.

It's not a competition.
    Creating a picture is the tricky bit. Mine's pretty cheesy and corny, so I've been trying to find something that might fit that. So far, those text based AI art generation websites are producing some pretty odd results :)

It's not a competition.
    The picture for my entry could be a picture puzzle.
    Sent mine in.

It's not a competition.
    @stratman3142 in the playlist 
    Well it's finished, I think I've burst my spleen, prolapsed several sphincters and my eye is bleeding. But it's all recorded and mixed ... just need to have a listen tomorrow and clean up breaths and wotnot and we'll be in.

And remind me next time NOT to pick a song that needs a C5 in the harmony ... please.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    OK sent mine in. Hopefully it's not too painful! Was an interesting one, things I've learnt

1) You CAN change the key from the original, don't be a bellend
    2) You cannot really get rid of nasal vocals by quadruple tracking

Hey ho :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @Bezzer in the playlist