Poopot's Cover Challenge #22 - the letter I

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1817
    I've uploaded another track.I seriously hope the master is okay as it took my aging low spec laptop 3/4 of an hour to render it to an mp3! That's what happens when Black Sabbath and the Beatles collide into a lengthy opus

And a reminder that entries close next Friday
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • idiotwindidiotwind Frets: 470
    I've uploaded another track.I seriously hope the master is okay as it took my aging low spec laptop 3/4 of an hour to render it to an mp3! That's what happens when Black Sabbath and the Beatles collide into a lengthy opus

I guess I could have done all 7 minutes of Idiot Wind if I knew it was going up against 6hrs 45mins of I Am The Walrus.
    edited March 2023
    idiotwind said:

I guess I could have done all 7 minutes of Idiot Wind if I knew it was going up against 6hrs 45mins of I Am The Walrus.
    There's still time...

EDIT - didn't realise it had saved as hours and minutes! WTAF??!? Better sort that out then when I get home. And that explains the massive file size... I assumed somehow I'd changed things to an astronomically huge sample rate or something
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • idiotwindidiotwind Frets: 470
    I've sent in another one. I was holding off a bit as it's a pretty obscure one that was really just a transcription exercise.

It's In Brooklyn by Al Stewart, off one of his folk-rock albums that he practically disowned after Year of the Cat.  I was reminded of it when my 7 year old was baffled by something being in Fahrenheit and I remembered a similar feeling as a child wondering how it could be "80 degrees in Brooklyn" without everyone exploding.  Found it and wanted to work out some of the lead licks.  Splitting the track up revealed interesting drum and bass parts and I ended up doing the whole thing.

Anyway, a fairly faithful cover, got the Gretsch out for the electric parts.  Any feedback is welcome - I'm new to recording and mixing is a bit of a mystery to me.
    @idiotwind in the playlist
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9767
    edited March 2023
    I've just sent one in, I'll hopefully have another one in by the Friday due date if I can sort out my vocals sounding weird when I sing in lower register.

I'll admit now that my entry owes a lot (ahem) to the Jeff Buckley cover but I've tried to do a few bits n bobs different including harmonising with myself for the first time ever.

Please forgive the mic pops - as I'm trying to get ready to move house I've got stuff stashed all over the place and I couldn't find a mic stand with the right attachment or a pop filter, so the vocals are me sat at the kitchen table holding a cheap ass SM57 copy.

Edit: somebody here before mentioned I seem to have a lisp when singing and now I cannot unhear it - especially with this one. Arghhhh. I Thall be Releathed
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    @thecolourbox in the playlist
    Thank you
    Entry closes tomorrow at 11.30pm
    edited March 2023
    I've sent a second one in - unfortunately only with my scratch demo vocals (with some effects added to hide how bad they are). I stupidly did the recording without checking how the vocals sounded recorded, so then found I needed it up a few semitones at least for the verse section but have ran out of time to do that or to change how I'm doing the vocal. Gahhh. Quite happy with the guitar tones though so let's focus on that eh?
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 145
    Sent mine in
    @thecolourbox and @IMC1980 in the playlist
    Entries close tonight (or more likely tomorrow morning)
    entries closed