Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

New Pink Floyd album

What's Hot
HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9811
I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• As a massive Gilmour fan - I hope it's good. The press 'angle' seems to be that it is a tribute to Richard Wright - his playing was for me just as essential a part of Floyd's sound as Gilmour's.

I doubt it will be an 'essential' purchase but as much out of loyalty as curiosity, I will be buying it....
  • I was worried that DG might stop releasing stuff, so I am feeling optimistic
  • ToneControl;359213" said:
    I was worried that DG might stop releasing stuff, so I am feeling optimistic
    He's recording at the moment - I reckon there's one more album in him.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Well they have released the album cover for the new album, looks OK but not great.

• Without RW and RW I have to say I'm not that bothered :(
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Been waiting for this a long time. Nick Mason mention it in his book years ago (he called it the endless splif). Just to hear Wright and Gilmour playing together again has got me very excited

It's nothing to do with Walters at all or what anyone's perception of "the real Pink Floyd" is, so leave him out of it.
  • FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    Without RW and RW I have to say I'm not that bothered :(
    Same here, really. I mean, I know Wright is technically on the album, but it's not quite the same.

As for Waters, I've not really liked anything Floyd did after he left - he may have been a curmudgeonly old bastard, but I think Dave needs that sort of conflict to make interesting music and bring out the best in his playing.  And that's coming from someone who spent a large portion of his life virtually worshipping Gilmour as some kind of god. :D  

It was an ideal opportunity to bury the hatchet, tie up the Floyd story and do a proper tribute to Rick with all the surviving members, even if they just let Roger play a few bass notes and promise not to write about Thatcher.  It makes me a little sad that it won't happen now. 

I'll give it a listen when it comes out on streaming radio, and see if it's worth a purchase, but it's not on my automatic buy list. 
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72933
    Fuzzdog said:
    As for Waters, I've not really liked anything Floyd did after he left - he may have been a curmudgeonly old bastard, but I think Dave needs that sort of conflict to make interesting music and bring out the best in his playing.
    100% agreed. No Waters… not interested.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited September 2014
    It's mostly material recorded at a time when Walters wasn't in the band, wasn't he also in court trying to stop Gilmour and co even using the name at that time? 

It's also mostly instrumental with some recent vocals added by the backing singers they toured with them in the 90s. 

Over dubbing a few bass lines of whatever by Walters onto this material would be ridiculous. 

Walters strength was certainly the songwriting and lyrics, which have no part in these instrumental/ambient soundscapes. 

Different band, different time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Here come the purists. 

{:(
  • Waters (thats W.A.T.E.R.S - no L Col!!)! was a miserable ol git but wrote alot of the best floyd stuff

Dont get me wrong Floyd are like a religion to me, but the band was always greater than the sum of its parts

Waters solo stuff was arguably stronger than gilmours, but he always acknowledged his appreciation of strong guitar work by using Clapton and Beck on his solo shit

DG's solo stuff is much more musical and contemplative. I loved the Division bell and Momentary lapse for that matter - Listening to the short soundbite online of the endless river, I would imagine lots of it will be like Marooned etc off The DB - 3 Blokes Jamming, haveing reached a level of peace and maturity that means theres no need for Waters stupid political vitriol in the lyrics that would sound contrived now anyway

I shall be buying the CD instead of downloading it as the sound quality is better!!

• Waters (thats W.A.T.E.R.S - no L Col!!)

Ha ha, of course (facepalm). I bet that'll piss him off next time he's googling himself!

Much like Mr Gilmour doesn't like being called Dave...our Gilmore.

• Does he like being called David more, and Gil less?
  • ElxElx Frets: 412
    Was going to write something but can't be bothered...
    Elx said:
    Call Polly Samson, I hear she's very experienced that sort of situation. ;)

(Sorry, had to do it.  Roger was threatening to sue me otherwise.)

-- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ElxElx Frets: 412
    Fuzzdog said:
    Elx said:
    Call Polly Samson, I hear she's very experienced that sort of situation. ;)

(Sorry, had to do it.  Roger was threatening to sue me otherwise.)

:) I love Waters, but there is absolutely no need to hate the rest of Pink Floyd because of that. I prefer Amused to Death to A Momentary Lapse of Reason for instance. I am still able to enjoy their separate efforts over the years, I will never understand why people feel the need to take sides...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2014
    Elx said:

:) I love Waters, but there is absolutely no need to hate the rest of Pink Floyd because of that. I prefer Amused to Death to A Momentary Lapse of Reason for instance. I am still able to enjoy their separate efforts over the years, I will never understand why people feel the need to take sides...
    Wisdom. Like Fish/Marillion, Peter Gabriel/Genesis a lot of people seem unable to get over the fact that a band's line-up changed...and the band carried on without them.

I can quite happily listen to "The Divsion Bell" without getting all upset and crying over my copy of "Darkside.." pining for Roger.
    Wisdom. Like Fish/Marillion, Peter Gabriel/Genesis a lot of people seem unable to get over the fact that a band's line-up changed...and the band carried on without them.
    PETER GABRIEL NEVER LEFT GENESIS IT NEVER HAPPENED STOP SAYING THAT I CAN'T HEAR YOU WITH MY FINGERS IN MY EARS LALALALALAAAAA

Ahem.  Anyway.  

I do think that calling any of those (including Floyd) a line-up change is putting it a bit mildly - it's one thing when the bass player leaves, or the guitarist wanders off in search of the pub and never comes back, but when a member who was a huge driving force behind a band leaves, it's a bit drastic.  Love or hate Waters, he was possibly the biggest reason for the success of what most people know as being Pink Floyd.

I don't mind post-Waters Floyd.  I own all the albums of that period, and a couple of DVDs.  I went to see them live, it was a good show.  I just don't feel the same when I listen to them, and they don't grab me emotionally in the way 'classic Floyd' did. It all just floats by without really saying anything to me, lyrically or musically.  I don't agree with half the things Waters has said or done, but he did know how to write lyrics which moved people, and I think that's what I liked most about the band, far more than the music.  

I'm not anti-modern-Floyd at all, and I can see why some people love them, but for me, they just turned off on a different path that I wasn't really too interested in.  And let's face it, with all the rather ridiculous posturing which was going on on both sides during the spilt, they do make for some good opportunities for amusement. :D

(Also, if anyone quotes this post, I insist they put testicles on it, or I'll sue.)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2014
    Fuzzdog said:
    (Also, if anyone quotes this post, I insist they put testicles on it, or I'll sue.)
    See, totally different pig m'lord, this one's a boy...
    http://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/photos/var/resizes/Pink-Floyd-Photos/Tour-Photos/1980s/1988-05-17-18/BIG PIG BALLS _ The Vet _ 88 _.jpg?m=1391962489

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24864
    edited September 2014
    Travisthedog;359466" said:
    Waters (thats W.A.T.E.R.S - no L Col!!)! was a miserable ol git but wrote alot of the best floyd stuffDont get me wrong Floyd are like a religion to me, but the band was always greater than the sum of its partsWaters solo stuff was arguably stronger than gilmours, but he always acknowledged his appreciation of strong guitar work by using Clapton and Beck on his solo shitDG's solo stuff is much more musical and contemplative. I loved the Division bell and Momentary lapse for that matter - Listening to the short soundbite online of the endless river, I would imagine lots of it will be like Marooned etc off The DB - 3 Blokes Jamming, haveing reached a level of peace and maturity that means theres no need for Waters stupid political vitriol in the lyrics that would sound contrived now
    @Travisthedog - this post suddenly made me think - Water's anger post Syd initially never rose much beyond the sniping of 'Money'.

Yet by the time of 'The Wall' and 'The Final Cut', it seemed to have developed into full on rage. Truly an angry, slightly older man....

In many ways I'm ambivalent about him. Clearly Floyd's best work is where his lyrics and Gilmour's innate musicality are combined. I suspect without DG's tempering influence, Pink Floyd would have remained a far more underground band than they became.

Gilmour's description of the demo of 'The Wall' being 'a bit of a whinge' probably sums up the more heavily Waters dominated part of their career for me.