Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Frankus/Tanihavit

What's Hot
Why ban someone instead of asking why they're doing it, particularly when one account stops being used and then the other one starts? It's not like they overlap.

Also, it seems strange to let it slide for ages then bring the hammer down. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27615
    edited January 2023
    I've asked the modmin team (privately) whether they might review this decision (for the reasons you state). 

Lets wait for their reconsideration.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Simple.

We have asked on 3 occasions if they have two accounts, and why if they do over the course of a number of months. 

On two of those occasions we received radio silence.

On the third occasion they denied having two accounts, and then proceeded to say that they forgot the password to one of them in a subsequent reply. 

So, ignoring our fair requests, lying, and not giving sufficient reason. 

If the offender had have apologised and said it was because they forgot their password we would have banned the old account and let the other continue. 

It would have been nice if they had replied to the first request, or even the second. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5383
    edited January 2023
    OK, thanks. 

(Hit post too soon).

I guess that makes more sense, although still seems harsh if there was no other bother. Not my circus, though, and appreciate the extra info. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14466
    Trying to think of any good reason to have two accounts? 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24351
    As I said above, I still can't think of one..

....shit!
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28415
    Lots of good reasons to have three though.

Right? 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    I had a second account on MR as I’d become slightly embarrassed by things I’d said. Just ended up saying more embarrassing things with my second account and went back to being Eric. Tanihavit (?) seemed a bit less, err, forward than Frankus often was so conceivably he wanted a fresh start. Although also something he could have explained to a modmin. 

Emp_Fab said:

....shit!
    Didn’t you have two for a while? A modmin account and a none modmin account? Although I might be imagining things. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581

Emp_Fab said:

....shit!
    Didn’t you have two for a while? A modmin account and a none modmin account? Although I might be imagining things. 
    Yeah, I’ve still got it but..

Damn. 
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I had a second account on MR as I’d become slightly embarrassed by things I’d said. Just ended up saying more embarrassing things with my second account and went back to being Eric. Tanihavit (?) seemed a bit less, err, forward than Frankus often was so conceivably he wanted a fresh start. Although also something he could have explained to a modmin. 
    As we all know, the "one account only" thing is to stop scammers - and that's why it's an absolute rule, apart from when it's agreed with the modmin team (very rarely, there can be a good reason - in this case, he had three chances to even agree it retrospectively...we were trying to give him a chance).

However, the secondary point of it is "own your shit" - if somebody's going to spout shit they're going to be embarrassed about, and they can't just walk away from it, they'll think twice next time.

At least, that's the theory.
    <space for hire>
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27615

However, the secondary point of it is "own your shit" - if somebody's going to spout shit they're going to be embarrassed about, and they can't just walk away from it, they'll think twice next time.

You're still that optimistic ???

:D
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • TTony said:

You're still that optimistic ???

:D
    Okay, I'll put it another way.

I can't just walk away from embarrassing shit I've spouted on here, so I don't see why anybody else should be able to.

;)
    <space for hire>
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Trying to think of any good reason to have two accounts? 
    For trollin' ....durrrrr
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • I'm going to admit, I'm one of those members who checks the 'admin/mod interventions' thread weekly like a middle aged lady checking 'Hello!' in the '90s. 

Usually with duplicate accounts it's either that they're trying to troll or shill their stuff. But this one fazed me to the point that when I searched the two names it basically brought me to this thread but no-where else. 

The only narrative that makes sense is the 'slightly embarrassed to be in this position' one, maybe mixed with (I suspect) a tendency of a large chunk of the baby boomer population to still think basic IT systems are fallible (I have endless conversations at work along the lines of 'not trusting' a single tab, 50 row spreadsheet because of some anecdote or other). Basically - he thought he could style it out by denying everything.

Which anyone who pays attention admin/mod interventions knows would be impossible to get past the modmins.  They clearly know their system inside out. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27113
    I'm going to admit, I'm one of those members who checks the 'admin/mod interventions' thread weekly like a middle aged lady checking 'Hello!' in the '90s. 

I can't be the only one who has it starred... Right?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • I can't be the only one who has it starred... Right?
    You're right...  :)
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• SnagsSnags Frets: 5383
    edited January 2023
    I'm going to admit, I'm one of those members who checks the 'admin/mod interventions' thread weekly like a middle aged lady checking 'Hello!' in the '90s. 

Usually with duplicate accounts it's either that they're trying to troll or shill their stuff. But this one fazed me to the point that when I searched the two names it basically brought me to this thread but no-where else. 

The only narrative that makes sense is the 'slightly embarrassed to be in this position' one, maybe mixed with (I suspect) a tendency of a large chunk of the baby boomer population to still think basic IT systems are fallible (I have endless conversations at work along the lines of 'not trusting' a single tab, 50 row spreadsheet because of some anecdote or other). Basically - he thought he could style it out by denying everything.

Which anyone who pays attention admin/mod interventions knows would be impossible to get past the modmins.  They clearly know their system inside out. 

As others have said, just favourite the thread so you get notifications. Takes the disappointment out of coming to look and finding no new pithy ripostes

My limited understanding from "the other side" was that frankus lost his credentials for the old account, and presumably also access to whatever email he'd used to sign up with, so couldn't do a recovery. So created the second account. As far as I'm aware he never made a secret of it - there's a classified post from years ago where he says "I used to be frankus". Also as far as I'm aware, there's not been any overlap in posting between the two accounts, so it's not like there's been massive trolling or skullduggery.

It just looked like a bit of a random clamp down from nowhere, hence asking the question (which has been answered, although it all seems a bit odd that something so easily resolved wasn't easily resolved but ... people can be odd).
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8494
    I guess it'd be fair to ask why Tanihavit didn't reply to the question about why he'd set up a new account, but it's pretty common for people not to get or notice PM notifications, it's a pretty standard frustration across the classifieds, and it's pretty common for emails to either get lost in the daily deluge of auto-generated notifications, get lost in spam folders, or be disabled in the forum software. He might just not have seen the requests for clarification.
  • Snags said:

It just looked like a bit of a random clamp down from nowhere, hence asking the question (which has been answered, although it all seems a bit odd that something so easily resolved wasn't easily resolved but ... people can be odd).
    That seemed odd to me, too - I honestly couldn't understand why he reacted to our repeated attempts to sort it the way he did, which is kinda why we gave it so many chances rather than just drop the hammer right away. In the end, though, we didn't have a choice.

To be clear, it's definitely reasonable to question it, and we've tried to be completely transparent about it.
    <space for hire>
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26631
    edited January 2023
    Cirrus said:
    I guess it'd be fair to ask why Tanihavit didn't reply to the question about why he'd set up a new account, but it's pretty common for people not to get or notice PM notifications, it's a pretty standard frustration across the classifieds, and it's pretty common for emails to either get lost in the daily deluge of auto-generated notifications, get lost in spam folders, or be disabled in the forum software. He might just not have seen the requests for clarification.
    His PM notifications weren't turned off. If the email notifications had gone into spam, he would still have had the on-site notifications. And there were multiple attempts to resolve it, so it's not like he missed one PM and then he was gone.
    <space for hire>
  • I can't be the only one who has it starred... Right?
    You're right...  :)
    Absolutely