Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Best paying tribute gigs

What's Hot
Inspired by @Danny1969 :)

Which tribute gig is the best earner? A tribute to an artist? An era? A genre? 
'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10423
    Well in my experience you need to be a tribute to a much loved quirky artist who have a dedicated fan base but doesn't play live anymore. Also someone who's difficult to copy. 

I was completely new to the professional tribute scene until about 5 years ago. I was in a Thin Lizzy tribute for a few years but it wasn't a professional tribute act. Now I know how the scene works I fancy doing some more. 

I have friends in Pink Floyd tributes, The Who, Fleetwood Mac, Thin Lizzy, Queen etc. They all get a good earn out of it but the big money is in selling a lot of tickets for the London venues. If you can do 600 tickets at £18 a pop then you are on decent money even after paying for the venue, tech, PRS and agent fees. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Danny1969 said:
    If you can do 600 tickets at £18 a pop then you are on decent money even after paying for the venue, tech, PRS and agent fees. 
    Surely that would only apply if you were in a John Mayer or a Carlos Santana tribute band ?
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Danny1969 said:
    If you can do 600 tickets at £18 a pop then you are on decent money even after paying for the venue, tech, PRS and agent fees. 
    Surely that would only apply if you were in a John Mayer or a Carlos Santana tribute band ?
    You could play at the annual British Dentist Association conference

I was in a Smiths tribute when I was very young and we make a packet. We learnt 53 of their songs in all. It taught me an awful lot about songwriting and chord relationships
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • roberty said:
    Danny1969 said:
    I was in a Smiths tribute when I was very young and we make a packet. We learnt 53 of their songs in all. It taught me an awful lot about songwriting and chord relationships
    Some lovely guitar parts to play in there I’m sure.

I rehearsed once with a local Oasis tribute band who needed a Bonehead . I couldn’t go through with it after the rehearsal as it would have driven me mad just playing those parts. It’s lovely playing with a band and all but that just wasn’t exciting - now a blur tribute band , that would be a stretch and lots of fun 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12399
    I've seen some great tribute bands, smiths, stone roses, foo fighters, red hot chilli peppers, the jam, pink floyd etc.  I would say they don't have to have stopped playing, I would rather watch a group of 20/30 somethings play the stones than the actual stones considering the cost difference and the fact they have people to mostly play for them anyway.  
  • Does 'tribute' and 'decent pay' necessarily require wigs and costumes etc?
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    Based on quantity: Queen, Oasis, Madness.
     Obviously there are some very successful tribute acts like Australian Pink Floyd and Bjorn Again but those are full time pro acts with a lot of investment in their shows, not four blokes down the pub level. 
    I still get emails from the agency I was with and if I was going to try to put something together that got paid club level gigs probably some kind of Pop Princess thing covering Madonna and Lady Gaga,etc, although if I could find a singer who could make a reasonable fist of all that she probably  wouldn’t want a fat old bloke on guitar. 
    Does 'tribute' and 'decent pay' necessarily require wigs and costumes etc?

When. I was doing my ska/2tone band there was another local band doing basically the same set but getting paid three times as much. I eventually saw them and they were surprisingly poor at playing songs I knew inside and out. However, lots of dressing up and funny hats. And I saw a Queen tribute around the same time going down a storm to several hundred people and they were quite poor but had the wigs,etc. 
    So, probably yes. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6882
    Axl rose made millions touring with a GnR tribute act until slash and duff rejoined.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkb said:
    Axl rose made millions touring with a GnR tribute act until slash and duff rejoined.
    WizLOL needed.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• Ive been Noel in quite a few top oasis tributes. £250 a man plus expenses is about normal
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3083
    I've seen a few really poor tributes that relied on the wigs etc. One Free/Badco tribute were awfully bad but the singer looked like a little, chubby Paul Rodgers. They're much easier to promote than a standard cover band, too. I'm forever being asked what material we play but tributes do what it says on the tin. A normal cover band would have to be really well known to pre-sell tickets.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6393
    Danny1969 said:
    The Illegal Eagles sell out all over the place, and they're excellent

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3311
    edited January 2023
    Jalapeno said:
    Danny1969 said:

The Illegal Eagles sell out all over the place, and they're excellent

I saw the Illegal Eagles before Christmas and the theatre was packed and they were excellent.

The Classic Rock Show (with Pete Thorn and one of our own from here) play decent venues e.g. Wigmore Hall and tickets are £30+ and it's a great evening and a pro show.

Some of the Steely Dan bands knocking around play good venues and sell out as does my mate's AOR & Power Ballads tribute (think Rock of Ages musical) - they're about to embark on a 19 date tour of theatres in Spring with tickets at £18-20+ a pop
  • westwest Frets: 996
    sorry no money in steely dan tributes ... ask me how i know ;) 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1681
    west said:
    Plus it's Dirty Work
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • westwest Frets: 996
    plus you never do it without the fez on .....
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10423
    Danny1969 said:
    Ha ha ..... I'm the last person you would see play a PRS. For all the dates so far since lockdown  I've used 2 different partscaster's worth less than £400 combined and a Pod Go. 
    I'm not a believer in using expensive guitars when a well set up cheap guitar will so the job perfectly well. 

Going forward I would like to go into something hair metal, like a Van halen trib or maybe a Dire Straits tribute ... Getting the front man for the Van Halen tribute would be tricky though !
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    roberty said:
    Danny1969 said:
    Some lovely guitar parts to play in there I’m sure.

I rehearsed once with a local Oasis tribute band who needed a Bonehead . I couldn’t go through with it after the rehearsal as it would have driven me mad just playing those parts. It’s lovely playing with a band and all but that just wasn’t exciting - now a blur tribute band , that would be a stretch and lots of fun 
    Coxon's guitar parts are more bonkers than I remember when I listen back now, but also very expressive and appropriate

His autobiography is a good listen (and probably read as well)
    west said:
    Lukather cut his teeth on Steely Dan covers. I'd like to study it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    It's funny because certain members of our tribute band started taking themselves quite seriously when we got going. In particular the one member who was the least musically gifted. He ended up robbing some money off us. I'm not bitter

This documentary is supposed to be good, I remember hearing about it but not being able to find it, but it's on YouTube now. I was told that they gradually take themselves more seriously, with hilarious consequences