Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Best paying tribute gigs

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2600
    edited January 2023
    west said:
    sorry no money in steely dan tributes ... ask me how i know  

Half of the tribute bands I've seen have been SD tribute bands.  I've seen 4 in total, the SD tributes being Doctor Wu (French) and iirc Nearly Dan, although it was a very long time ago.

The other two were Frank Zappa tributes, surprisingly because I'm not remotely a Zappa fan.  But I played in a band with two guys who were in a local Zappa tribute band, which I naturally went to see, and they also got me along to see an American FZ tribute who were touring the UK.

If only I were more typical you could have had 50% of the tribute band market.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2771
    The good bands who replicate current stadium artists are a great way of going to see the music/ band you like without having to fork out to pay O2 / Wembley prices and stand 1/4 mile away from the stage.

the Fillers are awesome - sound and looks and performance just like the real things, and they are endorsed by the Killers themselves and have even played at each other’s gigs.   

But things such as Adele and Ed Sheeran tributes are great because you can get all the songs sung by excellent performers for good price and local.

i reckon circa 90% of my open mic and opening slots repertoire are Ralph McTell songs but apart from 2, the average audience don’t / wouldn’t know any of them, so I doubt there’s an opportunity there 

• StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2417
    I was talking to someone a while back who was thinking of doing a Charlatans tribute band. Admittedly he already played in a more general 90s Manchester covers band so maybe it wouldn't have been a lot of work, but I do wonder how many people would make the effort to go and see one. I mean how much would it cost to put on the actual Charlatans if you were that keen?
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3423
    edited January 2023
    Charlatunes have beaten them to it…and seem quite popular.