Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Live gig EQ frustration

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72433
    edited February 2023
    FarleyUK said:

I have discussed monitoring with the drummer and bassist, multiple times. I have explained the options, to which the drummer has flat out refused to use any of them. Why should he be relying on me bringing my cabs when I don't need them due to going through the PA? Same with the vocals; he needs a monitoring solution, not just relying on hearing my guitar.
    The drummer not wanting to pay for or carry a monitor is possibly just about excusable, as drummers usually draw the short straw with gear, but actively *not wanting* a monitor if it's provided for him is a different level of obstructive stupid that it's going to be very hard to get around. As you say, even if he can hear your guitar from a cab, how is he going to hear the vocals?

FarleyUK said:
    Quick update - apparently it's my fault as somehow I magically turned up my output which must have caused all the feedback issues.

Despite my guitar volume being on 0 while these feedback issues happened.

And despite me not adjusting anything at all.

And despite us all seeing the bassist fiddling with the mixer during the break.
    I think you should just leave. They're idiots.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7031
    FarleyUK said:
    I have discussed monitoring with the drummer and bassist, multiple times. I have explained the options, to which the drummer has flat out refused to use any of them. Why should he be relying on me bringing my cabs when I don't need them due to going through the PA?
    Fundamentally, how is a guitar cab on stage different from a monitor on stage with guitar noises coming out of it?  From the drummer’s perspective, anyway.

But yes; as many have already said, just leave and find a new band.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CaseOfAce said:
    Personally we never mic up each instrument - and only put vocals and kick drum thru the PA speakers on sticks and used our own backline to fill the venues.
    It's completely against the wisdom that thou shalt mic everything up / this is the way it ought to be done - but:

a) we don't want to fork out for a FOH engineer (if we could even find someone who wants to do it) and
    b) it would be complete overkill for most of the rooms we play.

It's also way simpler / easier setup and teardown and avoids the hot mess you encountered that night? Worth a go?
    This!
    we have done this for over 15 years (same band only a change of singer 5 years ago)
    Has worked for us all this time!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 26.226.2 Frets: 526
    CaseOfAce said:
    Personally we never mic up each instrument - and only put vocals and kick drum thru the PA speakers on sticks and used our own backline to fill the venues.
    It's completely against the wisdom that thou shalt mic everything up / this is the way it ought to be done - but:

a) we don't want to fork out for a FOH engineer (if we could even find someone who wants to do it) and
    b) it would be complete overkill for most of the rooms we play.

It's also way simpler / easier setup and teardown and avoids the hot mess you encountered that night? Worth a go?
    This!
    we have done this for over 15 years (same band only a change of singer 5 years ago)
    Has worked for us all this time!
    Yep. Simple and effective for small gigs.
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2415
    Quick update - there's been a sudden backlash against me for having cancelled the next gig as everyone now seems to think the PA feedback wasn't really an issue. In fact, the singer has said "If we're not gigging, what's the point?".

They seem to be ignoring that yes, it's great to be gigging - but if you sound shit, there's no point. I'm sick of being in amateur bands; this was created by the drummer to be a 'professional' band, and I've yet to see any sign of anyone being professional.

Needless to say, I think I'll be telling them to stick the band later on today....!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72433
    FarleyUK said:
    Quick update - there's been a sudden backlash against me for having cancelled the next gig as everyone now seems to think the PA feedback wasn't really an issue.
    FarleyUK said:

At the start of set 2, he spent 30 minutes - no exaggeration - trying to fix very loud feedback that was happening, resulting in punters leaving the pub and the drummer almost punching him, as well as the landlord getting visibly pissed off.
    The feedback was *definitely* an issue. (No need to tell you that!)

There's really no excuse for anything other than the briefest bit of feedback when you're just setting the system up, which should be well before the place is full of punters.

FarleyUK said:

They seem to be ignoring that yes, it's great to be gigging - but if you sound shit, there's no point. I'm sick of being in amateur bands; this was created by the drummer to be a 'professional' band, and I've yet to see any sign of anyone being professional.
    This. While I've never been in a 'professional' band or even been paid any really serious money for a gig, it's always important to do things professionally. Take doing the job right seriously, then you will be appreciated, asked back and possibly even rewarded financially.

Anyone who thinks they're a professional but refuses to use a monitor to hear the rest of the band properly is simply not a professional, end of.

FarleyUK said:

Needless to say, I think I'll be telling them to stick the band later on today....!
    I'm amazed you haven't already!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    FarleyUK said:
    Quick update - there's been a sudden backlash against me for having cancelled the next gig as everyone now seems to think the PA feedback wasn't really an issue.
    FarleyUK said:

At the start of set 2, he spent 30 minutes - no exaggeration - trying to fix very loud feedback that was happening, resulting in punters leaving the pub and the drummer almost punching him, as well as the landlord getting visibly pissed off.
    The feedback was *definitely* an issue. (No need to tell you that!)

There's really no excuse for anything other than the briefest bit of feedback when you're just setting the system up, which should be well before the place is full of punters.

FarleyUK said:

This. While I've never been in a 'professional' band or even been paid any really serious money for a gig, it's always important to do things professionally. Take doing the job right seriously, then you will be appreciated, asked back and possibly even rewarded financially.

Anyone who thinks they're a professional but refuses to use a monitor to hear the rest of the band properly is simply not a professional, end of.

FarleyUK said:

I'm amazed you haven't already!
    100% agreed on all fronts.

After I quit yesterday, the singer emailed me saying she doesn't understand, she thought everything was going well and there were no issues.

She was obviously thinking of a different band!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6502
    edited February 2023
    I am absolutely dumbfounded at the idea that a musician would be actively against having a monitor (or some sort of monitoring), when all of my gigging life the goal has always been to hear myself and what is going on better, not worse!

I think it’s clear that the guy has no understanding of live music, of on-stage volume or of how to be part of the team that is a band.
    What DOES he actually bring to the table, apart from playing the drums (the bare minimum requirement for a drummer, and far from the only skill needed to be a drummer in a well-functioning band)?!

• I am absolutely dumbfounded at the idea that a musician would be actively against having a monitor (or some sort of monitoring), when all of my gigging life the goal has always been to hear myself and what is going on better, not worse!

I think it’s clear that the guy has no understanding of live music, of on-stage volume or of how to be part of the team that is a band.
    Agreed. Our drummer had a really bad habit of staring at the floor with his eyes closed when he was in the zone. We've managed to mostly train it out of him and he's now giving eye contact for cues and is alert to the subtle communication of any "unplanned deviations" when the rest of us fuck up and sing an extra chorus when it shouldn't be there. But even with the eyes closed he'd always make sure he had a good balance and could hear us all.

I just can't fathom someone now wanting a monitor. 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10424
    There's none so strange as folk. I was hired to live record a covers band once and was shocked to find that the drummer mic'ed himself up into his own PA and that sat either side behind him. Never seen anything like it, or heard anything quite as bad. His best bit of playing was when he went into a fill and slipped on his stool. That was almost in time!

I've had singers complain to me they can't hear their voice coming out the bass bins .. which are low passed at 80Hz or so 

Singers who wanted to use their expensive studio condenser mic's in a live environment .. standing in a pub 2 feet in front of a drum kit. 

Insane volumes of monitoring is normally the issue, and generally the older people get the more they want. It doesn't matter how good you are at ringing out the monitors, eventually you are cutting so many frequencies you might as well just turn the thing down. 

But we all start somewhere, the trick is to learn quickly and try and see the whole picture, not just your own need.    
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1351
    Danny1969 said:
    There's none so strange as folk. I was hired to live record a covers band once and was shocked to find that the drummer mic'ed himself up into his own PA and that sat either side behind him. Never seen anything like it, or heard anything quite as bad. His best bit of playing was when he went into a fill and slipped on his stool. That was almost in time!   

There's a great interview somewhere on the web about an irish band who supported Van Halen on tour.
    On the first day they go up on stage - no monitors...nothing...

They are there wondering how they are gonna hear themselves and discover that the headliners don't use floor monitors or in-ears - they had an entire PA pointing at the stage for MONITORING purposes... as well as the PA for audience out front.

... and yes they said it was blistering loud when they used it...
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
  • Danny1969 said:

I've had singers complain to me they can't hear their voice coming out the bass bins .. which are low passed at 80Hz or so 

Singers who wanted to use their expensive studio condenser mic's in a live environment .. standing in a pub 2 feet in front of a drum kit. 

Insane volumes of monitoring is normally the issue, and generally the older people get the more they want. It doesn't matter how good you are at ringing out the monitors, eventually you are cutting so many frequencies you might as well just turn the thing down. 

But we all start somewhere, the trick is to learn quickly and try and see the whole picture, not just your own need.    
    Agreed. And this is why God created in-ear monitoring.

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10424
    CaseOfAce said:
    Danny1969 said:

There's a great interview somewhere on the web about an irish band who supported Van Halen on tour.
    On the first day they go up on stage - no monitors...nothing...

They are there wondering how they are gonna hear themselves and discover that the headliners don't use floor monitors or in-ears - they had an entire PA pointing at the stage for MONITORING purposes... as well as the PA for audience out front.

... and yes they said it was blistering loud when they used it...
    I know that band, the guy who gave the interview has a posh watch channel now. 

Yeah that's how VH played ... with a PA onstage and Eddie insanely loud. DLR never stood a chance and blew his voice out within 5 years. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • We spend around 10mins on sound check at pub gigs.  I find there to be very little variability between pub venues.  We've long since had our settings marked and just make minor tweaks to suit the layout.  Almost never touch settings during the gig either.  As our ears get numbed during the gig it can be tempting to turn up but it's important to  be aware of that and avoid doing so.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    If anyone else needed some proof that the drummer is a complete arsehole..... just got a lovely passive-aggressive WhatsApp from him because he's seen that I'm starting up another band.

It's taking a lot of self-control to be the bigger man here and not just launch into a tirade about all the issues etc.!
  • FarleyUK said:
    If anyone else needed some proof that the drummer is a complete arsehole..... just got a lovely passive-aggressive WhatsApp from him because he's seen that I'm starting up another band.

It's taking a lot of self-control to be the bigger man here and not just launch into a tirade about all the issues etc.!
    The best way for him to take the whole situation is that you both wanted different things from the band and have agreed to disagree*.

(*Where did I get that phrase from? I want to say 70's/ 80's TV show Winner Takes All?)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom