RIP Motty

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited February 2023
    That Sheepskin coat image standing on the called-off frozen pitch is burned into my retina...

...he had a nice garden too...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I met Motty at Brentford in January 2020.   We were both ‘guests’ of the club for an FA cup tie against Leicester.   He was lovely and was happy to talk to anyone about football, red wine and pies.   Even back then, I was surprised at how physically frail he appeared, needing help to get to his seat etc.  so it’s no real shock to me that he didn’t have too much longer. 

His was an iconic voice, and as others have said, not too many match up these days. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067
    Devil#20 said:
     The job of football commentators has been largely taken over by women it would seem. 
    Some are good, some not so good.

Vicki Sparks is woeful, mainly due to her annunciation rather than her knowledge, (“there’s not much toime left”), but on co-comms, Emma Hayes and Karen Carney have forgotten more about football than you or I know. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    bertie said:

As others have said, he was part of my youth, from when you stayed up to watch MOTD on a Sat night and all matches were played at 3pm on a Sat - So pre-Sky and live matches

Mid-week Sportsnight   -   a VERY rare treat of a footy matchon a  Wednesday night at 9:55  (oh the BBC did love odd scheduling back then)
    Originally 'Sportsnight with Coleman' I recall
    "how right you are"  

in 1980s spitting image impression voice
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    seems Motty lived in two different villages and have two locals !!

"Martin Badcock, who runs the Crown and Sceptre in Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, near to Motson's Little Gaddesden home, said he was "touched to have had him as such a good friend".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-64743112

"Commentator John Motson spent his last night in his local pub watching a football match and enjoying a pint, the landlords have said.He became a regular at The George in Little Brickhill after moving to the Buckinghamshire village." 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-64759055
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Seems there might be more to the guy than we knew..^^
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.