Songs you find tricky...but sound easy

What's Hot
ShrewsShrews Frets: 3012
I'm finding this one frustrating. I'm sure I will get it in the end but just wondered what other songs are out there that you've found tricky but sound like they should be easy to learn.

The Jam - That's Entertainment

The chords are easy but the strum pattern is a blood nightmare, and yet it seems like it should be really easy

and a 1 and 2 and 3 and 4
and a 1 and 2 and 3 and 4

with that 'and a ' bit being a quick 'down-down' strum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• First song I ever learnt to play :)
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    Mr.Brightside

Initially, and a similar sort of thing going on, the main riffs on 'Reelin' in the years' and 'Life in the Fast Lane'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    Johnny B Goode. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24343
    Everything Malcolm Young ever played.

Quick listening just seems to show big chunky chords hit hard, but there’s so much more going on.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 962
    Kebabkid said:
    Mr.Brightside
    Yep, I've been practicing it almost every day for about 3 months and am now about ready to bring it in at rehearsal. Not polished but good enough to start with.

Found it really hard to play.
  • Three blind mice.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5463
    Shrews said:
    wondered what other songs are out there that you've found tricky but sound like they should be easy to learn.

Most of them. :(
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5463
    Re That's Entertainment, now that I've listened to it I would have found that easy-peasy a few years back when I used a plectrum all the time, but would find it super-difficult now that I've switched to fingerstyle. I don't think I could do it at all.
  • First one I thought of (even thought Ive been gigging it for 20 years) is Mr Brightside and No one ever plays it correctly. Its a killer riff and timeless song. Our Generations SCOM. 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12389
    Bizarrely smells like teen spirit, one of the first songs I learned, I know what I’m playing is technically right just doesn’t sound like teen spirit to me.  
  • ryanverbenaryanverbena Frets: 427
    edited March 2023
    1. Money for Nothing is is tricky to play properly
    2. Every breath you take, the finger patterns - hard to sustain throughout a whole song
    3. Neil Young is hard to replicate because of the (beautiful) imperfections

I would also add anything by Paul Kossoff because his bend-vibrato technique is so masterful and hard to replicate. 
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 1506
    Everything Malcolm Young ever played.

Quick listening just seems to show big chunky chords hit hard, but there’s so much more going on.
    People think it's beginner stuff based on what they hear. The difficult stuff is what they don't hear :naughty: 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1347
    edited March 2023
    1. Money for Nothing is is tricky to play properly
    It's got that slight hiccup part in the 2nd part of the riff that's very difficult to nail - everyone gets the whole diads / power chords bit...but the double thumb bounce thing / timing thing is the tricky part. Oddly enough that's one riff I would blag if I did it live - you can sort of get away with not being 100 percent on that one. I've heard Knopfler live versions where he doesn't do it either.

Mr. Brightside is just d*amn awkward - the intro riff in semi-tuned down guitar is nasty. The verse parts feature 5 fret stretches.
    I'm currently playing this in standard tuning capo-ing at 4th fret.. but the intro riff just can't be replicated - you need those 2 b and e string notes bouncing around in unison for it to sound right.

Oddly enough a riff I struggle with is Judas Priest's Breaking The Law - the end part of that riff resolving back to the C catches me out if I haven't played it for a while.
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10415
    There's one inversion on Brightside, the G add 6 pattern  that's a bit of a stretch, the rest is pretty easy. I could never quite work out what was going on with Money for Nothing until I saw Knopfler demonstrate the thumb action then I got it. 

Plug in Baby seemed a strange pattern at first and tripped me up a couple of times, now it's fine. 

Sex on fire is easy enough but throws a lot of drummers ... as does Drive my car by the Beatles 

I think sometimes I assume a simple riff has more going on and I complicate it myself for no reason. As ever the trick is to stop and have a really good listen. 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3656

Over the last couple of years I’ve auditioned more bass players than I care to remember.  Since time has been limited we’ve asked them all to learn the same three songs and first up has always been Roxanne by The Police (which we do three semitones down from the original).  The reason we picked this one is because, we thought, it was easy and it would be a good way to settle people down before moving onto something more challenging, but it just seems to trip people up for some reason.

As a former bass player I can just pick up the bass a play this no bother but it amazes me how many people struggle with anything that’s not on the beat.

• Go Your Own Way by Fleetwood Mac.
    The rhythm part, where it goes from the sus2 chord to the regular chord.

It never sounds right when I play along with the record, and I find it hard to play and sing it, or at least to play ot in a way that has the feel of the original.

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11790
    munckee said:
    Bizarrely smells like teen spirit, one of the first songs I learned, I know what I’m playing is technically right just doesn’t sound like teen spirit to me.  
    Exactly what I was going to say, so hard to get like the record.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    edited March 2023
    munckee said:
    You probably already know this, but it seems to sound more authentic if the F5  Bb5  Ab5  Db5 section is played with a 3rd or 4th finger barre. Then strummed not too precisely, so there's a bit of a random 4th creeping in on the F5 and Ab5, by hitting the 3rd string.

It's not a competition.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10415
    munckee said:
    You probably already know this, but it seems to sound more authentic if the F5  Bb5  Ab5  Db5 section is played with a 3rd or 4th finger barre. Then strummed not too precisely, so there's a bit of a random 4th creeping in on the F5 and Ab5, by hitting the 3rd string.

Yeah this is it .. most people play it too cleanly, it strumming is fairly accurate but the fingering is a little sloppy and that gives it the attitude. 
    One thing I learnt playing covers for 40 years is give yourself a moment to get into the vibe. A moment to remember how the riff or song sounds in terms of how it makes you feel rather than what notes it comprises of. Because that's what enables a decent player with an Epi LP and a cheap amp sound more like Brian May / Slash / Jimmy Page than some other guy with 4K's worth of gear. Play the right notes but get the feel. You can cop a Van Halen riff / solo note for note but if it doesn't have that aggression then it doesn't sound right and that applies to all music. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1347
    edited March 2023
    munckee said:

Correct! If you play it with precise F5 and Ab5 power chords it doesn't sound the same.
    You've got to play it using Cobain's sloppy barre technique to get the sus 4s in.

It's one of those simple riffs everybody assumes is stupidly easy but there's a bit more going on.

See also Metallica - Enter Sandman - most people don't know the way Hetfield actually plays it holding down sustaining notes...
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...