What is a "British" guitar? (upcoming NGD)

What's Hot
12346»

Comments

• TanninTannin Frets: 5458
    ^ Just so. And the (at last count) seven hundred and three Mrs Tannins might have a word or two to say on the matter also. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 234
    I was browsing another acoustic site and came across this link to the Brook newsletter:

https://www.brookguitars.com/category/latest-news/

I know a few members think highly of them, but this was the first time I've come across the range of stuff they do. Nice jobs they are too!

Anyway, a good way down the newsletter is a picture of a certain Aussie gentleman who's just ordered a Lyn from them.....
    Your cover's blown Tannin!
    Great stuff!!
     =)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2292
    edited August 2023
    Rob Armstrong. 

Rob Armstrong started making guitars in Coventry in 1970. He works alone: each instrument is unique, and handmade using basic tools. He now aims to complete about 15 commissions a year – leaving time for development and consultancy for Loughborough University. Rob has made guitars for George Harrison, Bert Jansch, Gordon Giltrap, Fairport Convention, and the Albion Band. In 1989, many of these musicians made a tribute CD entitled Master Craftsman. He has produced some unorthodox instruments including long scale guitars, baby guitars, and double necks even a steel-string acoustic made from polystyrene packaging. In July 2010 his workshop was destroyed by fire (and Armstrong himself was injured), but by November that year he was back in business. Armstrong designed the Gordon Giltrap Signature model acoustic - which was mass produced and distrbuted by JHS.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 24
    Whoohoo! 

Simon emailed me tonight. It's done. They are just going to let it settle with the strings on it for a few days, and send it off to Lee at Project Music, who in turn will send it to me here in southern Tasmania. 

(Pictures should be clickable for enlargement if you open them in a new tab.)

European Spruce top, Bog Oak bridge, fretboard, and headstock veneer.

Back, sides, and neck: European Walnut and European Yew.

All English woods except for the European Spruce top.

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4704

That looks lovely.  Great specs as well.

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    Oh wow that's just awesome @Tannin ; :o
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 768
    That 3 piece back with matching neck lamination looks terrific.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 234
    Nice job. Lovely top, even better back! 
    How long to ship to Taz then before you get your hands on it?

Cheers lads. 

@BigLicks67 thanks. Yes, I love the look of that back and neck. Like a couple of my other guitars, it's the same as me: better looking from the back. (Well, it must be true - I mean people say "Oh not you again you ugly bastard" when they see my face walking towards them, and "He looks a lot better from this side" when I walk away. Tell me I'm wrong.)

The binding is either European Maple or Sycamore - I must remember to ask Simon which, I don't think I could tell them apart myself. 

@Soupman - Brook will ship it to Project Music sometime next week. Then they will pack it, do the export paperwork, send me an invoice, wait till I can transfer the money over. So all of that might take 10 days, give or take. Then something like - 

Exeter to London (by road) less than 1 day
    London to Melbourne (by air) less than 2 days
    Melbourne to Devonport (by truck, then overnight roll-on, roll-off ferry) 1 day
    Devonport to Hobart (by road) less than one day.
    Hobart to my house (by road) less  than one hour.

Or the flight ex London might go to Sydney, which means an extra day trucking it from there to Melbourne. 

So call it 7 days absolute best case, a month if the customs people cause difficulties or the freight people let it sit in a warehouse in London waiting for a cheap flight. My guess is that Lee at Project Music will ship with a good company and it will all go smoothly. Lee strikes me as a very efficient chap.

• guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1857
    That looks a 'little bit' excellent. I really hope you enjoy it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom