Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Dealing with praise after a gig....?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10483

If someone tells me I'm great after a gig I say I should be ...... I've been doing it long enough ! :)
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have been complimented in the past. My usual response is one of

You're too kind but Thank You anyway
    Thank You, I'm glad you enjoyed it

I don't usually expect it to be the start of a conversation. tbh, I'd prefer it not to be.

"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3596
    Thank them politely and if you have the time inquire about there own musicians journey, it's likely they play even if at a very modest level (we've all been there). It completes the gig experience for many punters. Be careful not to puncture the illusion that we are all gods and live a simple life of just being on stage with none of that reality/money/gear lugging bollox.

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17704
    tFB Trader
    I think it's important not to do any kind of daft false modesty especially when you are talking to a learner as it just perpetuates the myth of talent.

If you rip out a note perfect Eruption solo at a gig and then say "Oh me, I hardly practice, I'm rubbish really" it's leaving the guy who's spent 2 months learning to get through the Smoke on the Water riff feeling like he might as well give up.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    edited September 2014
    Lap it up. It's what all want isn't it ? Just make sure it doesn't go to your head too much and you develop an ego etc. There will be plenty others who would love to strip you off that perch if you did :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    Phil_aka_Pip;364790" said:
    I don't usually expect it to be the start of a conversation. tbh, I'd prefer it not to be.
    I think English people more than most view conversation with strangers as some kind of ordeal to get through, which is a real shame. You're missing out on some gems!

- The sexy girl who inexplicably claimed I was a guitar god.

- The guy who pointed to the pedal trays in my rack and asked if they were my spare pedal boards.

- The guy who asked how many watts my ac30 was and simply didn't believe that it could be 30.

- All the people who have likened my playing to bands I've never heard of and subsequently discovered I hated.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Cirrus said:
     You're missing out on some gems!

I hope you told her "I'm a sex god too, and I'll prove it".......

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• I just say "hey, thanks, man!" and mean it.

Our drummer says "hey thanks, man, we've got CDs for sale!"

Cirrus said:

This statement usually comes from male guitarists in my case. Probably for the best.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    edited September 2014
    @Cirrus, how do you handle compliments on your insanity wolf t-shirts? :D
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    edited September 2014
    @Cirrus, how do you handle compliments on your insanity wolf t-shirts? :D

I murder a baby and drink its blood.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • To echo others, when receiving compliments after my piano playing, I normally say "thank you, it means a lot", then you are kind of returning the positivity in a way

If anybody says it about my guitar playing, I usually laugh it off by saying "thanks, though I understand <insert relevant guitarist name> Wasn't available", as like others it's usually somebody who tries to play a bit and they usually play for the same reason - because they are striving to be influenced by somebody
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • "Give me some sugar, baby"

Not really lol..
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    ... is the Nuno Bettencourt answer if J-Mo's stroy is true.

The thing is it's easy as a bedroom guitarist to judge others and yourself too harshly... giving praise is a really good way of breaking that cycle. Most of the excellent amateur guitarists I know spend as much time going to see live bands as they do practising... as a result they're generous with praise and their breadth of musical knowledge is good and they seem more alive than mister cloistered-corpse guitarist.

If you can't let love out to others what is the point of picking up a guitar? What do you think it is meant for?
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • frankus said:
    ... is the Nuno Bettencourt answer if J-Mo's stroy is true.
    To be fair, I think he's grown up a lot since then. Not a trace of that when I (briefly) met the guy.

frankus said:
    If you can't let love out to others what is the point of picking up a guitar? What do you think it is meant for?
    Picking up chicks?

Seriously, though, this thread has actually been pretty useful. I usually dread finishing a set because of all this, but there are some good alternate approaches/mindsets here. Thanks, guys :)
    <space for hire>
  • HOLY SHIT DAT SOLO @digitalscream
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HOLY SHIT DAT SOLO @digitalscream
    ...is this a test? :D
    <space for hire>
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • if a would be fan walks up to compliment you...this is what you say as you walk past...

"dont talk to me...dont touch me...you talentless fan-boy PEASANT"

then put on some sun glasses and call over the "drink boy" to get your order of Whiskey sour...which you know will not be good, but its the shit you have to put up with whilst among the common folk.

• randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited September 2014

When people give you compliments they are probably trying to strike up a conversation which more often than nope will lead to an inappropriate grope.  To avoid this if you like neither social interaction or physical contact then a stock response is probably best practiced.

https://31.media.tumblr.com/a1dceb65ef8940cebdad21b21f06c2b6/tumblr_inline_n6p23rngzF1rj4vbo.gif

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    edited September 2014
    Cheers fella. Generally does me. Or a well fit mate (not) screeching "He's fuckin married, he's got a ring on!" to a thing. In something awfully awful. In which case I run.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."