Recommend a small, multitrack USB mixer. Like a Tascam Model 12 but with half the inputs...

What's Hot
colourofsoundcolourofsound Frets: 395
edited March 2023 in Studio & Recording
Finding something like this seems impossible. All the small mixers only give stereo out via USB to a DAW.

I'd like 6 or 8 inputs in total; aux sends would be nice but not essential. Don't need onboard effects or any of that rubbish.

MUST display all of those inputs as seperate tracks to a DAW.

I wish Tascam made a model 6 basically. Does one exist that I'm missing?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2198
    edited March 2023
    I've been looking into this recently and am interested in the answer.

Do you need EQ from the mixer, or are you OK with doing it in all in your DAW? If you're OK with doing the EQ and FX in your DAW, there's the Focusrite Scarlett range. But I find the specs a bit confusing.

I think think the Scarlett 8i6 does 6 outs in theory but be very careful because I'm not sure how many outputs are available on the USB and you might have to use the S/PDIF to get all the channels.

There's also the Scarlett 18i8 and the 18i20. Again, you need to use the SPDIF or the optical connectors to get all the channels.

Below is a link to to some info on the Scarlett 18i20. 

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/206850129-How-do-I-use-all-18-inputs-on-the-Scarlett-18i20-#:~:text=The Scarlett 18i20 may only have 8 analogue,two types of digital connections; S/PDIF and ADAT.

It's not a competition.
  • Yeah for interfaces with ADAT you'd need to attach another set of preamps that accept ADAT in.

Ideally I'm looking for a mixer with faders/EQ as what I'd like is to have a DAWless setup that works with something like a Digitakt or an iPad app; and then move over to a Mac in Logic for mixing afterward.

Honestly the Tascam looks perfect, its just too big/too much for what I need. It even works as a MIDI control surface which would be a lovely bonus!

So far only the Zoom Livetrack L8 comes anywhere close to what I'm looking for; but Zoom isn't exactly a household name in quality recording interfaces
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2416
    The Zoom Livetrak stuff is great! I haven't tried the L8 but I've owned both the L12 and L20 and they are really good. The preamps I think are derived from their F-series location recorders and they sound excellent. Much better than previous products like the R8. Having used the L20 for quite a long time I only have a few minor niggles really:

* It's lovely to have so many headphone outputs, but those do sound a bit grainy.
    * Switching sample rates is a bit annoying.
    * There's no EQ on the master bus, which would be handy for live PA use.

All fairly minor grievances and far outweighed by the positives, especially the ability to record locally and to a computer at the same time. Having pads on most of the inputs is also brilliant for recording drums.

Alternatively, if you're feeling flush, the SSL Big Six is pretty great too...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The Behringer xAir racks do this sort of thing and there is obviously the reliance on a tablet for mixing..  so no physical faders...
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3081
    Stuckfast said:
    The Zoom Livetrak stuff is great! I haven't tried the L8 but I've owned both the L12 and L20 and they are really good. The preamps I think are derived from their F-series location recorders and they sound excellent. Much better than previous products like the R8. Having used the L20 for quite a long time I only have a few minor niggles really:

* It's lovely to have so many headphone outputs, but those do sound a bit grainy.
    * Switching sample rates is a bit annoying.
    * There's no EQ on the master bus, which would be handy for live PA use.

All fairly minor grievances and far outweighed by the positives, especially the ability to record locally and to a computer at the same time. Having pads on most of the inputs is also brilliant for recording drums.

Alternatively, if you're feeling flush, the SSL Big Six is pretty great too...
    We gig with an L-20 as a live mixer with powered tops and sub, recording everything as separate tracks to memory cards. I'm a massive fan of it tbh. I was using a Tascam US1641 before but the L20 cuts out the need to take a computer to gigs - a lot tidier too.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• Worth a deeper look then maybe!
    I'm a bit confused by the spec on the Zoom L-8. It says 12 channel simultaneous recording but it's only an 8 input mixer. Am I missing something?

The audio interface spec says recording 12 channels. So, unless I'm misunderstanding things, I assume that should mean it would allow recording to 12 separate tracks

https://zoomcorp.com/en/us/digital-mixer-multi-track-recorders/digital-mixer-recorder/LIVETRAK-L-8/

It's not a competition.
  • colourofsoundcolourofsound Frets: 395
    edited March 2023
    6 mic inputs, 2 stereo inputs (4 mono) and the stereo buss (2 mono) = 12 channels.

I think

EDIT: actually I think its 6 mic, 2 line, 1 stereo in and the stereo mix. Or maybe the FX send counts so you can record that seperately?

In short, I agree its confusing
    edited March 2023

6 mic inputs, 2 stereo inputs (4 mono) and the stereo buss (2 mono) = 12 channels.

I think

EDIT: actually I think its 6 mic, 2 line, 1 stereo in and the stereo mix. Or maybe the FX send counts so you can record that seperately?

In short, I agree its confusing

OK thanks. Provided it can record to separate tracks in my DAW, that looks interesting. I'd need simultaneous recording to at least 8 separate tracks in my DAW.

It's not a competition.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9651
    Soundcraft Signature 12 MTK is the only other one I can think of, although Mackie and even Behringer may well offer something similar. 

The Tascam Model 12 is brilliant though.
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5382
    Presonus AR8c?

The specs are quite confusing, but I think it exposes all the channels to a DAW, but can only receive two channels from the computer for playback purposes. Ditto the 12 which I think exposes them all, but can playback 4.

However, I wouldn't like to swear to it, and obviously it also has a load of stuff you don't want, rather than just being a basic mixer.
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    I just got a Tascam DP24SD for £150 but....It has its issues...the FX system is awful and so limited, plus the screen interface can be a bit confusing...it works ok  albeit the headphone out is a bit noisy,...If you want pretty basic recording up to 8 inputs at a time its ok, and you can transfer files via SD card,

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4185
    Don’t behringer do a range branded xenyx
    Don’t behringer do a range branded xenyx

I did look at that range. As far as I could tell, they appear to be only stereo out over USB. But I could be wrong.

It's not a competition.
  • Don’t behringer do a range branded xenyx

I did look at that range. As far as I could tell, they appear to be only stereo out over USB. But I could be wrong.

No, thats correct. 2x2 only
  • What is the use case for a mixer over a basic multi input interface like a focusrite?

Location recording? 

Those mixers, if they are like my big Soundcraft 22 MTK record the pre-strip sound clean, the knobs and faders do nothing unless I remix through the desk USB returns. 

If the mixer did record the knob and faders impact they risk being lossy and effecting the tone before you mix in the DAW.  

I am seriously looking at the Model 12 for one of my smaller bands.  We use a Soundcraft Ui24 to record gigs to USB with the bigger bands… i like the in built capture facility.   I have a Tascam DP32SD which I can’t fault the recording quality of. It will record 8 inputs at once.
    What is the use case for a mixer over a basic multi input interface like a focusrite?

Location recording? 

In the case of the Zoom Livetrak mixers:

* It has enough headphone outputs that you don't need a separate headphone amp.
    * You can do hands-on cue mixes with faders and knobs.
    * You have redundant recording to an SD card in case your DAW throws a wobbly.
    * It doubles as a live sound mixer, so easy to record your gigs.
    * The big one gives you 16 analogue ins without any faffing about with ADAT expanders.
    * There are pads on every channel so you can record drums without risk of clipping.
  • What is the use case for a mixer over a basic multi input interface like a focusrite?

Location recording? 

Those mixers, if they are like my big Soundcraft 22 MTK record the pre-strip sound clean, the knobs and faders do nothing unless I remix through the desk USB returns. 

If the mixer did record the knob and faders impact they risk being lossy and effecting the tone before you mix in the DAW.  

I am seriously looking at the Model 12 for one of my smaller bands.  We use a Soundcraft Ui24 to record gigs to USB with the bigger bands… i like the in built capture facility.   I have a Tascam DP32SD which I can’t fault the recording quality of. It will record 8 inputs at once.
    For me, its DAW-less recording. I can use an iPad App, or the onboard SD card recording to get something down with drum-boxes/synths/guitar without having to load up a Logic session
    edited March 2023

I like the look of the Zoom Livetrak L-12.  I can see it would be good as a stand alone recorder, then subsequently transfer the tracks from the SD card to computer for post processing and mixing in a DAW.

One thing to be aware of: It would appear that the Livetrak models have high latency when used as an audio interface to computer (see link below). So, for example, I wouldn't be able to use plug-in effects in my DAW during record monitoring directly to computer. Whereas I would expect I could do that with something like a Focusrite 18i20.

https://gearspace.com/board/music-computers/1301516-zoom-livetrak-l-20-high-latency.html

But it's not a deal breaker. I like the neat self contained multi track recording package it provides.

The other good thing is that I think the L-12 records the tracks dry (no EQ or Fx) to the SD card. So you have the option of playing tracks back through the unit with its effects added, or transferring the dry tracks to computer for processing in a DAW.

It's not a competition.
    That's often the case with interfaces that have a digital mixer incorporated. The mixer adds some latency on the input and the output side. It might be better under MacOS too.