SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Childs LH (Wanted)

What's Hot
StrumitStrumit Frets: 46
edited April 2023 in LH Guitars £
My 5 year old grandson is showing interest but as mine is a classic RH, it's not for him!!!  A fixer upper project would be ideal as he can "help" to prepare it and then learn to play.  That's how I did it, with an old banjo!!! Anything cheap considered as it will probably get used and abused!!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12411
    Teach him right handed, save him from a lifetime of not being able to find guitars!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8733
    We have had left/right hand discussions over the years. My take from them is that some left handers find it very difficult to play right handed. Others say “don’t right handed players find it hard using their left hand to do most of the work?”. Try him out, and see what works.

At that age I’d start him on a baritone ukulele in low G tuning. That’s equivalent to the top four strings of a guitar capo’ed at the 5th fret. Anything he learns is translatable to the guitar when he gets bigger. It’s also possible to reverse the strings and play left handed if needs be.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Chris.BChris.B Frets: 291
    edited April 2023
    As a lefty, I would agree that if he can mange, get him to learn on a right handed guitar.  

Whilst there are more lefty guitars these days, visiting a guitar shop, or show is a very frustrating experience - seeing all those lovely shiny guitars hanging on the wall, then realising that the dusty one in the corner is for the lefty.

I can't prove it, but I think I would be an equally bad guitar player if I had started with a right handed guitar. The only potential  downside is that if I had started with a right handed instrument would I be blaming my slow progress on choosing the wrong handed guitar.

Whichever way it goes - good luck to your grandson. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom