Evertune Bass

What's Hot
guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7961
https://youtu.be/yYXkSrt1kOU

Incredibly excited for this. The guitar version is an absolute game changer for many reasons, this has the potential to do the same for bass
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14431
    Er, how big does the routed cavity around the back of the instrument need to be? 

I have seen photographs of the rear cavity required for Telecaster style guitar bodies. The cavity is complex and removes nearly as much wood as a Parsons-White B Bender.

The body of a RIC 4001/4003 is probably to skinny to accept the EverTune bass bridge. TFFT! 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7961
    edited April 2023
    I don’t think that info is released yet. I have an Evertune installed on a Tele and it sounds great! 

I don’t think you install an Evertune if you want vintage accurate tone - the pitch arc is part of that tone imo 

But if you find yourself fighting the pitch arc then the Evertune is the solution. 

In terms of Evertune bass this will make it so much easier to use bass on recordings with lots of synths etc.

A lot of modern music uses programmed bass to get the consistency, and it’s common for real basses to be tuned using Melodyne to get more pitch consistency especially in denser arrangements, or where there are programmed instruments with straighter pitch arcs. Evertune bass should make it so much faster to use a real bass for that scenario. Sessions which could’ve taken a while for re-tuned punch ins/post editing could literally get done in a few takes, at least based on my experiences with the guitar version.

Also anyone who gigs in a band with a keys player will be able to more closely match their pitch, at any playing velocity 

So far they’ve announced 4 and 5 string models. It’ll be interesting to hear how a low B sounds on the system, especially at 34” scale. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27003
    @crunchman ; All I'm hearing is this will help people to make terrible un-human music :( 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    @crunchman ; All I'm hearing is this will help people to make terrible un-human music :( 
    have you listened to the top 100 charts in the last 5 years? 

very unusual to hear actual instruments. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24279
    sgosden said:

This is why I don't listen to the charts.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    sgosden said:

This is why I don't listen to the charts.
    Bingo! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Well, I’m excited for it. I think it’ll be really helpful for making music the way I want to.

The guitar version hugely improved my playing for non Evertune bridges too, I’m much better at intonating and controlling pitch arc musically now than I was before.

I’m very much in the why not both camp here. 

Instruments are tools for the creation of music, certain tools work better for certain results. Some, in the case of Evertune, can do things nothing else can. Whether that’s useful depends on the goal. I can definitely think of situations where I’d have picked it if I had the choice 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Something like this would be tempting to have on a Dingwall for the ultimate modern bass, IMO.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    Well, I’m excited for it. I think it’ll be really helpful for making music the way I want to.

The guitar version hugely improved my playing for non Evertune bridges too, I’m much better at intonating and controlling pitch arc musically now than I was before.

Instruments are tools for the creation of music, certain tools work better for certain results. Some, in the case of Evertune, can do things nothing else can. Whether that’s useful depends on the goal. I can definitely think of situations where I’d have picked it if I had the choice 
    I can certainly see the usefulness for a recording bass but I am concerned about how much more a bass would weight with all that extra metal in it.

Many years ago the 2-Tek bridge was popular for about 5 minutes. It was claimed that it offered better tone, adjustability and better (traditional) tuning stability.

The problem was that it weighed a massive amount and needed big rout in the bass. It added so much weight that even on a modest bass it turned into a back breaker.

I have the same concerns with the Evertune.

I do have to say though Pitch Arc is only a problem is you aren't using proper heavy flatwounds like some sort of dilettante... ;)  

edited April 2023

I do have to say though Pitch Arc is only a problem is you aren't using proper heavy flatwounds like some sort of dilettante...   

And if you're picking like a heavy-handed chump... 

Is this something mostly suffered by slappy muppets? 
    I have 1 bass set up for slap and I don't have any trouble with it. And I've got 40-100 flexible round core strings on it too.
  • Well, I’m excited for it. I think it’ll be really helpful for making music the way I want to.

I can certainly see the usefulness for a recording bass but I am concerned about how much more a bass would weight with all that extra metal in it.

Many years ago the 2-Tek bridge was popular for about 5 minutes. It was claimed that it offered better tone, adjustability and better (traditional) tuning stability.

The problem was that it weighed a massive amount and needed big rout in the bass. It added so much weight that even on a modest bass it turned into a back breaker.

I have the same concerns with the Evertune.

I don’t think it’s known yet how much it weighs. And as with my experience of guitar installs goes, it depends what you started with too. I’ve had 3 installs done by Shuker, and none have become noticeably heavier. But I don’t think any got lighter. 

One useful thing for bass though is it should counteract neck dive. Neck dive tends to make basses feel heavier than they are, just by distribution of weight.

• Something like this would be tempting to have on a Dingwall for the ultimate modern bass, IMO.
    Fan fret models are planned, but I think they’re just starting with regular 4 and 5 string bridges. 

I actually don’t know if I’d put one on my Dingwall 5 string, I really like it as it is!

I think I’d love to try one on a P bass though, or a Jazz. 
    if you find yourself fighting the pitch arc then the Evertune is the solution. 
    I play a fair amount of fretless bass. I don't fight the pitch arc so much as deliberately warp it all over the place.  :)
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    Hello my name is UM*|?|"£ from the lost island of Utopio. Our species diverged from human evolution over 5 million years ago. We have a form of music that is alien to you, with no shared culture, and our perception of sound bears no relation to yours. However, as we are not psychopaths and narcissists we can conceive of tastes, needs and aesthetics beyond our own, and so will not complain about the existence of this music making tool.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • A solution looking for a problem? What is this gubbins supposed to achieve?
    It can't make it any more in tune...

The point is that the mechanical nature of fretted stringed instruments means that they are, inherently, fractionally out of tune nearly all of the time. (Something to do with Pythagorean pitch interval ratios and the act of pushing a string out of the straightest possible line in order to fret it.) This is why somebody devised those strangely shaped frets that Frank Gambale uses on some of his guitars.

Cirrus said:
    we can conceive of tastes, needs and aesthetics beyond our own and, so, will not complain about the existence of this music making tool.
    I'd like to see Evertune develop something to fix the intonation of brass instruments, played outdoors, on cold mornings, by humans who may have overimbibed from their hip flasks.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18776
    I'll say, What!  Tally Ho! and don't spare the horses.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    A solution looking for a problem? What is this gubbins supposed to achieve?
    It can't make it any more in tune...
    It can maintain the tuning better than any other bridge 
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    I can certainly see why guitarists use them, and they are exceptional for the super low tuned heavy riffers.

However, after playing 4 and 5 string bass since I was about 13, I don't think I've ever had issues with bass tuning in my life. In fact, my Musicman 5 string basses were perfectly in tune after moving them (in cases) from temporary storage at a friend's house to my new house, and that was a period of 9 months and various temperatures.